If you own an iPhone or other iOS devices, you must’ve heard of recovery mode. Normally if your iPhone doesn’t go wrong during usage, you wouldn’t want to know anything about recovery mode. But as stable as iPhone is, it’s still possible for iPhone to go wrong under certain circumstances. So check out the content below to see what’s Recovery Mode and in what situations you would need it.
In what situation would you need to use Recovery Mode
The iOS recovery mode is for forcing a restore when something has gone with with the software on your iOS devices.
Below are several situations where you might need to use recovery mode on iOS devices.
- iTunes fails to recognize your device or says your device is in recovery mode.
- Your devide got stuck on the Apple logo for a few minutes with no progress bar.
- The Connect to iTunes screen appears on your device.
So when you need to use recovery mode, there must be something wrong with your iOS device.
How to enter Recovery Mode iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch
Assuming that the above situations did happen to your iOS device, here’s how to enter recovery mode iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch and restore your iOS device.
- 1. Update your iTunes to the latest version.
- 2. Connect your iOS device to computer and then open iTunes. If iTunes is open before you connect your device, close it first.
- 3. After connecting your iOS device to your computer, force restart your device with the steps below:
- On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: press and hold the Power and Home buttons at the same time and hold on until you see the recovery mode screen.
- On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: press and hold the Power and Volumn Down buttons at the same time and don’t release both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
- 4. There would be a popup with the Restore and Update options.Select Update and iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing the data on your device. iTune would start to download the software for your device. If the download is not finished after 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, wait until the download finishes and repeat the previous steps.
- 5. When the restoring or updating process completes, you can set up your device.
How to recover lost data from iOS device
If you choose to restore your device using recovery mode, you would have all your data deleted on your device, but there’s a chance that you could get part of your data back. Leawo iOS Data Recovery is a practical program designed for iOS users to recover data from iOS device, iTunes and iCloud backup. You can use it to recover in total of 14 different types of data to your iOS device.
If you don’t have any backups in iTunes or iCloud, the only way you can retrieve data from is the device. Leawo iOS Data Recovery can recover Messages、Contacts 、Call History、WhatsApp、Notes、Calendar、Reminders、Safari bookmark and Camera Roll.
Here’s how to recover data to iPhone with Leawo iOS Data Recovery.
1. Download and install Leawo iOS Data Recovery on your PC, open it and you should see 3 tabs on the interface. To recover data from your device, click on the tab on the left.
2. Choose your device on the device list and click Start button, and the program would start scanning your device.
3. When the scanning process completes, all the recoverable data would be shown on the interface. There’s a list of differnet types of data on the left column. Choose the data you’d like to recover to your iOS device and click Recover button on the bottom right.
4. On the following popup, set the directory for the backup of the files you’ve chosen to be recovered to your device as they’ll be saved to your computer at the same time they are recovered to your device. And then click Go to start recovering data to iOS device.
Recovery mode is helpful under certain circumstances. But when you fail to restore your iOS device with recovery mode, you should probably contact Apple Support for help.