Siri is a built-in and voice-controlled personal assistant available for Apple users, which first appeared on the iPhone 4S. It grows in intelligence and abilities as it ages. For example, Siri can access all of built-in apps on your Apple devices like Mail, Contacts, Messages, etc., and will invoke them to do all heavy lifting for you. By default, all Siri-enabled Apple devices have this feature enabled. That being said, just like any other Apple’s features, Siri can have some random issues due to minor system bugs, update errors or other properties. In this tutorial, let's see why the Hey Siri feature isn't working on your iPhone, and how to fix Hey Siri not working on iPhone with 12 methods.
Part 1: Why Is Hey Siri Not Working on My iPhone?
If you've been having issues with Hey Siri not working lately, don't worry, let's take a look at some possible reasons for this issue.
- Hey Siri feature is disabled
- iOS system update
- Siri unable to connect to internet
- Low mic volume or mic is blocked
- iPhone is facing down
- iPhone is set to Low Power mode
- Siri’s language
- Noisy surroundings
Part 2: One-Click to Troubleshoot Hey Siri Not Working on iPhone
If Hey Siri not working on iPhone is caused by any software issues, then you can use Leawo iOSFix to troubleshoot in one-click. Leawo iOSFix is a professional one-stop iOS system repair tool to fix more than 50 types of iOS system errors like Hey Siri not working, white Apple logo, black screen, no service, and more. The step-by-step instruction below will show you how to fix Hey Siri not working on iPhone with Leawo iOSFix in one-click.
Step 1: Download Leawo iOSFix
Click the Download button below according to your computer system to install this software on your computer.
- Fix 50+ iOS/tvOS issues on iPhone, iPad, iPod or Apple TV
- 2 repair modes for data lossless fixing
- Fix all iOS and tvOS versions in clicks
- Multiple iOS/tvOS system fixing pathse
- One-click to upgrade to the latest iOS/tvOS version
- One-click to enter/exit Recovery Mode
- Troubleshoot iOS/tvOS not recognized issues in detail
Step 2: Connect your iPhone to computer
Launch Leawo iOSFix after installation, then connect your iPhone to computer with a USB cable. This software will recognize your iPhone immediately.
Step 3: Choose a repair mode
Click the Start button and you can see there are two modes provided. Standard Mode can fix general iOS system errors with all data retained, while Advanced Mode is used to fix more serious iOS system errors but erase all iPhone data. To fix Hey Siri not working on your iPhone, choose Standard Mode first.
Step 4: Download the latest firmware
After repair mode selection, you will be taken to firmware download page. Confirm the model and system version, and click the Download Now button to download the latest firmware to fix Hey Siri not working on your iPhone.
Step 5: Start to fix Hey Siri not working on iPhone
Click the Fix Now button to start fixing Hey Siri not working on iPhone issue.
Part 3: 12 Tips to Fix Hey Siri Not Working on iPhone
If the Hey Siri not working on iPhone issue is caused by hardware problems, or you just want to fix this issue without the help of iOS repair tool, then the following 12 methods will be helpful to you.
1. Make sure Hey Siri feature is enabled
Before moving forward, make sure the Hey Siri feature is enabled.
- Step 1: Open Settings app on your iPhone, and tap Siri & Search.
- Step 2: Make sure the option Listen for “Hey Siri” is enabled.
- Step 3: If the feature is on, turn it off and turn it back on 30 seconds later.
2. Place your iPhone face up
When you place your iPhone face down, you might not be able to call out Siri by saying “Hey Siri” directly. To fix this issue, make sure that your iPhone screen is facing up. Alternatively, if you want to use Hey Siri feature then your iPhone is face down or covered, go to Settings > Accessibility > Siri and enable the Always Listen for “Hey Siri” option.
3. Restart your iPhone
A restart might fix most of software-related issues including minor symptoms after installing a firmware update, which is also a way to clear caches, refresh apps and system functions. Steps of different models vary, follow these steps to restart your iPhone.
- For an iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, or later model: Press and hold either Volume button and the Side button until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider to turn it off.
- For an iPhone 8, 7, SE or previous model: Press and hold the Power button until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider to turn it off.
After your iPhone is turned off, press and hold the Power button to turn it back on.
4. Check network connection on your iPhone
If your iPhone is disconnected from a stable network, then Hey Siri will not work too. Therefore, you can use the Airplane mode to refresh the network connection. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen and tap on the Airplane icon. After 30 seconds, turn it off. If it still doesn’t fix Hey Siri not working on iPhone, you can reset the network to factory settings by these steps:
- Open Settings app on your iPhone.
- Go to General > Reset, and tap Reset Network Settings.
- If asked, enter the passcode of your lock screen to proceed.
- Once the reset is done, reconnect your iPhone to a stable network to fix Hey Siri not working on iPhone.
5. Change your Siri’s voice and language
If your iPhone was purchased from another region, then Siri defaults to the language from that region. Therefore, you need to reset the Siri’s language.
- Step 1: Go to Settings > Siri & Search > Language.
- Step 2: Choose the language and dialect that is right for you from the list.
- Step 3: Restart your iPhone and Hey Siri should work fine.
6. Check Siri app restriction
If you accidentally restricted Siri’s microphone access, then the Hey Siri feature might not work properly. Or, if you recently updated your iPhone, the permissions might be overridden. Follow the steps below to open permissions for Siri.
- Open Settings app on your iPhone.
- Go to Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Select Siri and disable the restriction of microphone.
7. Check Voice Feedback feature
If your iPhone is on silent, Siri will not work properly. And the same thing happens when you turn off the Voice Feedback feature. This feature is available after an iOS 13 update. If you recently update your iPhone to iOS 13 or above, check the Voice Feedback feature by following the path below.
- Step 1: Go to Settings > Siri & Search.
- Step 2: Tap on Voice Feedback, and select Always On.
8. Turn off Low Power Mode
If you have enabled Low Power Mode, and your iPhone is on extremely low battery, then this feature may limit Hey Siri. In this case, you can charge your iPhone for a while, and when the power reaches to a certain percentage, Hey Siri will start to work again. Or, you can turn off the Low Power Mode by going to Settings > Battery and tapping off Low Power Mode option.
9. Check your iPhone microphone
Over time, iPhone microphones can struggle to function with exposure to dust, lint, and other debris. You can clean the microphones with a toothbrush, cleaning kit, or any makeshift tool. Alternatively, if your iPhone microphones are blocked by something like the case, remove the case to let microphone work again.
10. Update your iPhone to the latest iOS system
Every iOS system update usually comes with bug fixes. If Hey Siri not working happens after you updated your iPhone, you can wait for the latest iOS system update to fix this issue.
- Open Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap General > Software Update > Download & Install to download and install the latest version of iOS system.
- If it says Install Now instead, tap on it to start updating your iPhone to the latest iOS system.
11. Force restart your iPhone
If a normal restart doesn’t help you fix Hey Siri not working issue, then you can try to perform a force restart. Force restarting your device will deliberately cut off the power from your phone’s battery to its hardware, so it is more thoroughly. As with a normal restart, the steps of force restart vary from different iPhone models.
- For an iPhone 8, X, 11, 12, 13 or later model: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button, press and quickly release the Volume Down button, then press and hold the side button until Apple logo appears.
- For an iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until Apple logo appears.
- For an iPhone 6s, SE (1st generation) or previous model: Press and hold both the Power button and the Home button at the same time until Apple logo appears.
12. Contact Apple Support
If you still can’t fix Hey Siri not working after trying all methods above, then it is time for you to contact Apple Support for a hardware inspection. Click this link to make an appointment.