If your DVD cannot run as normal in the DVD player and computer, that means your DVD has probably been damaged by scratching or something else. The main possible reason to lead to an unreadable DVD is the scratches. Even though the more portable storage drive has come out for a long time, there are still a number of people like to use DVD to save their favorite music, audio, videos and recordings. But you should note that DVD is so vulnerable that it is easy to be damaged or scratched, which results in unaccessible to data in the end. But don’t worry, in this article, we are going to show you some effective solutions to recover the data from damaged DVD. Let’s move forward to have a look.
Approach 1: Clean the Disc
If there is dirt, dust or oil on DVD disc, you will take is for scratch on the appearance of the disc. In this case, you just need to get the disc washed gently with warm water, then rub it lightly with your finger during the washing. Alternatively, you can clean the disc by using alcohol and cotton swab, rubbing it in the radial motion from inside to outside, then get it dried in the air.
Approach 2: Polish the Disc
You need to get a tube of toothpaste or Scratch Out firstly. Then cover the damaged DVD disc with a thin layer of toothpaste or Scratch Out.
After that, use a clean and soft cloth to wipe on the disc from inside to outside with radial motion. Finally, insert the DVD disc to the player or computer to test whether it is readable as normal. If yes, that would be great, it is suggested to copy the data you need and save it to your computer prevent any data loss. If not, you can move on the Approach 3 to have a try.
Approach 3: Recover Files from DVD with Data Recovery Software
If the above approaches are not available for you, you can try to recover files from DVD with a free data recovery tool, here we will recommend you to use CD Recovery Toolbox to help recover data from damaged DVD disc, this recovery tool comes with a simple-operated and intuitive interface. You just need to run this software and then all files from your damaged DVD disc can be viewed, afterwards, you can get them copied to your computer.
To recover files from a damaged DVD disc with CD Recovery Toolbox, you can follow the steps as below:
1. You just need to download and install CD Recovery Toolbox on your computer, then run it.
2. Next, choose the media files from your damaged DVD.
3. Choose a location from your computer to save the recovered files.
4. Begin to recover the data from the damaged DVD disc.
Related: How to Back up DVD with Ease?
There are various kinds of ways to back up DVD, but if you want to find an effective way to finish the backup task with ease, here we will recommend you a powerful third-party tool Leawo DVD Copy to help you backup your DVD in lossless quality.
Leawo DVD Copy offers 3 kinds of copy modes to meet users’ different needs to copy DVD, even for 3D movies. There 3 copy modes include Full Movie mode, Main Movie mode and Custom Mode. Full Movie mode is able to get the whole DVD copied, Main Movie mode only can back up movies, while Custom Mode can copy the selected parts of DVD that you need.
As an awesome DVD copy tool, you can copy DVD with no limits by using Leawo DVD copy, even the DVD disc comes with CSS protection as well as the region code, it still can be copied as normal without any constraint. As Leawo DVD Copy is able to remove the protection of DVD to make sure it can be copied and backed up smoothly.
Apart from the above mentioned, Leawo DVD Copy comes with many other significant features as below:
1:1 Blu-ray & DVD Backup
Copy Blu-ray/DVD in 3 different copy modes
Burn ISO image to Blu-ray/DVD disc with ease
Retain subtitles and audio tracks at will
Remove disc protection such as AACS, BD+, MKB, CSS and region restriction
Support Backup of BD50, BD25, DVD-9 and DVD-5
Compress BD 50 to BD 25 rapidly
Easy to use interface for both novices and veteran
Since Leawo DVD Copy has so many versatile and powerful features, you may be wondering how to back up DVD disc step by step? Hereby, you can follow the guidance as below to begin your DVD backup task without hassle.
Step 1. Download and launch Prof. Media
Then you can see a couple of different modules in the home page. You can lick on “Copy” option from sub-menu on the top to go into DVD Copy module.
Step 2. Import source DVD files to Leawo DVD Copy
You can click on “Add Blu-ray/DVD” button from the drop-down menu.
1. To get DVD files imported from CD-ROM, you can click on “Add from CD-ROM”.
2. To get DVD folder imported from your computer, you can click on “Add from folder”.
Step 3. Make settings for DVD copying
1. Once the source DVD files have been imported, click on the button “DVD-5” with down arrow to select Disc type for your backup files like DVD-9 or DVD-5.
2. Select backup mode. Three backup modes are provided by Leawo DVD copy, which includes Full Movie, Main Movie and Custom mode.
● To back up the whole content of DVD disc, you can choose Full mode.
● To back up movie only, you just need to choose Main Movie.
● To back up the selected video content from DVD disc, you can choose the Custom mode.
3. Subtitles and audio track can be chosen as you need from the list under the option Subtitle and Audio. And the capacity indicator on the bottom is able to show the output files size to let you know about the your putout files details clearly.
Step 4. Begin copy process
1. Click on the big green “Copy” button from the upper menu to make the right sidebar to pop up for choosing the location for saving the output files.
● “Copy to” refers to copy DVD file to a new disc. You can insert a blank disc into CD-ROM from your computer, then choose it as the location to save the output files below the option “Copy to”.
● “Save to” stands for storing DVD content in the folder. You need to check the option “Folder” for saving DVD content into a folder. Then choose the output directory to save the backup files under “Save to” option.
2. Hit on “Copy” button on the bottom of the right sidebar to begin backup process of DVD content.
As you can see, DVD disc is easy to get corrupted or damaged due to its vulnerable feature, so the data on DVD disc is easy to get loss if you don’t have any backup previously. Even though, we have offered several solutions to recovered data from the damaged DVD, the risk of data loss is still existing. Therefore, it would be better to back up the data from your DVD disc in case you face such an accidental DVD damaged issue one day and will bring much trouble to you. So now, take action to get all your important data to back up from your DVD to prevent any data loss in an unexpected day. Don’t forget that Leawo DVD Copy is an excellent program to make your DVD backup task become easier and more effective. Now, go ahead to download Leawo DVD Copy on your computer to begin the copy process of your DVD content. Even you are unlucky to have a damaged issue, you can handle it without hassle.