Rebuilding iTunes library will have some reasons to go ahead. First of all, songs can be gained in order by user. Sometimes, users may face the anomalies, so it is not suggested to go using the same iTunes library. That also means you cannot find the tracks and its copies as well. In this case, to rebuild iTunes library has become a must to us. Correct songs should be guaranteed to be existing in the systems, which allows the users to make full use of iTunes library. This article will show you some clear solutions of how to rebuild iTunes library.
Part 1: Why to rebuild iTunes library?
You may note that iTunes will not create iTunes Library XML file any more since the iTunes version 12.2 appears. Therefore, you have to get your library recovered from this file if you need. You can enter iTunes and then choose Preferences, then click on Advanced to complete the recovery operation, after that, check and get iTunes Library XML shared with other apps.
There is something wrong with iTunes Library at times. You may find that some tracks or songs will get lost in the library, but in fact, they are still existing in the Media folder of your iTunes. Or sometimes, the playlists are missing or have changed. Or there are some other problems that we couldn’t explain. When you meet these situations, rebuilding your iTunes library is a way to fix these problems.
What is iTunes library XML file?
Some information stored in iTunes library.itl file is the same as iTunes library.xml file. iTunes library.xml file aims at enabling music and playlists to be used for other apps on the computer, like iPhoto or Garageband or iMovie or third-party software. iTunes library xml file can be used by these apps to help you add music from iTunes library to the target projects.
In short, iTunes library xml file is able to store some important information from iTunes library, which makes media added in an easy and rapid way. Also, the data from iTunes library can be well managed by iTunes library xml file. Due to the information saved in the readable format of XML file, it shows compatibility with some applications. But unluckily, iTunes version 12.2 and the later one will not create iTunes library xml file any longer.
Part 2: How to rebuild iTunes library on Windows/Mac
To rebuild your iTunes library on Windows/Mac, you can refer to the specific instructions as below:
1. You need to get iTunes Media folder backed up. Though your media files will not be affected by the library rebuilding, this way is still safe.
2. Go out of iTunes and then navigate to your iTunes folder. It will exist in Music folder from your home folder if you are a Mac user. Or you can find the iTunes folder in different place according to the Windows version that you are using. There are two files that you are using in iTunes folder are iTunes library. Itl and iTunes library. XML.
What you need to do in the following steps is that:
1. These files should be made copies one more time.
2. iTunes library. XML or the iTunes Music Library. XML files should be moved to the Desktop on your computer or to another folder. These files will be used to rebuild the library.
3. Get rid of iTunes library or iTunes library.
4. Run iTunes and then select as these steps: File > Library > Import Playlist find iTunes library. Xml file that you get rid of earlier, then click on “Choose” on Mac or click on “Open” on Windows.
Now XML files now will be examined by iTunes, then all tracks and playlists will be found and added to your library, which will make a new iTunes library. Itl file created. If there are much content stored in iTunes library, it will be finished after a while. If there is no other reasons, you can go out of iTunes and get rid of the newly set up iTunes library. Itl file, then use the one you have backed up previously to replace it.
But you should notice that all of the view settings which is applied in your iTunes library have been changed. You should reset them in the way you like for every playlist. Go through View and choose Show View Options to adjust the settings. All your media files and your playlists should be contained in the new library. Additionally, the option Date Added on all content from your iTunes should be the date when your library was rebuilt.
Part 3: How to rebuild iTunes library from iPhone/iPod
To rebuild iTunes library from iPhone/iPod, you can use Leawo iTransfer to transfer the files from iPhone/iPod to your computer firstly, and then rebuild iTunes library on your computer with the transferred files. Leawo iTransfer is a powerful and excellent transfer software which offers great solution to transfer multiple kinds of files between iOS devices and computer. The files including apps, music, photos, contacts and more can be transferred with this software. Moreover, Leawo iTransfer is an outstanding music manager that helps users to take a full control of their playlist and iTunes without any limit. Because of the advanced technology of scanning and transferring, Leawo iTransfer is able to complete the transfer task in a rapid and safe way. Additionally, the files can be transferred with 100% security and reliability to prevent any data loss and no overwriting during the transfer process. Even you are a novice in this software, the simple and intuitive interface will guide you with what you should do in each step. Below we will introduce you how to transfer the files from iPhone/iPod to your computer with iTransfer to rebuild iTunes library.
1. Connect your iPhone/iPod to the computer and then launch Leawo iTransfer on computer as well. Your device will be recognized and detected by this software and then the library of your iOS device will be shown in the left sidebar of the window.
2. Enable the square box next to Name to choose all files from your iOS device, then click on the transfer button on the right corner bottom. Or you can choose some files that you need to transfer by holding the key option Ctrl/Shift, then have right click on the files you have chosen and select Transfer to > My Computer.
3. A dialog will pop up after you have selected the files for transfer. You are asked to select a destination folder to save the transferred files. Check the square box beside the option Save to Folder, and then click on the Change button to select a destination folder on your computer. Finally, click on the Transfer Now button to begin transferring files from iOS device to your computer.
Extra: How to Clean up iTunes music library with Tunes Cleaner
Leawo Tunes Cleaner is a comprehensive iTunes cleanup software which is able to clean up iTunes library in a smart way, like detecting and deleting duplicate from iTunes, getting album artwork, downloading and adding music tags which includes album, song title, artist and year and more to get the music information completed, allowing the edition of music tags in a manual way, saving the unfixed music files to fix it in the future, etc.
Leawo Tunes Cleaner not only can clean up iTunes music library, but also it can help you get the local music folders cleaned up as well, such as MP3 music library. Once iTunes music library or the local music folders has been finished cleaning up, the fixed music files can be applied to iTunes or the original music location. Just with one simple click, iTunes or other music libraries can be managed and organized well. Moreover, Leawo Tunes Cleaner offers the user-friendly functions to help you use this software in an effective way, its excellent performance enables the users to clean up iTunes music library in an easy and quick way.
The following tutorial will guide you on how to clean up iTunes music library step by step.
1. Launch Leawo Tunes Cleaner on your computer and then click on the entry “Start to Clean iTunes”. After that, your iTunes music library will be scanned by Tunes Cleaner in an automatic way.
2. After the scanning process is completed, all the music files which have problems will be displayed in the specific group for fixing. You can select certain files for fixing, also you can choose all files for fixing by clicking on the button Fix All. During the fixing process, you can stop the fixing by click on the button Pause.
3. Once the fixing process is finished, you can click on the button “Apply” to make all the fixed music files to their original location of library, or you can click on the button “Save Project” to get the unfixed music files saved in the target folder for fixing in the future.
Note: The auto music tag adding feature of Leawo Tunes Cleaner has been discontinued. You could use it to add or edit music tags manually.