Every time when you see the dialogue that says "Not Enough Storage", or when you are going to take a picture, you're prompted "Can't Take Photo", how do you feel? As junk files accumulate, iPhone starts to get clogged up. Actually, it is common that junk files such as app cookies, tempt files, error logs, and unnecessary apps and files occupy a large storage, which may cause frequently slow running of your iPhone. Although some of them may be used by those apps from time to time, these files can be regenerated when required. In this tutorial, 6 solutions will be introduced to clean junk files and cookies on iPhone.
- Part 1: How to Clean Junk Files and Cookies on iPhone by Restart?
- Part 2: How to Clean Junk Files and Cookies on iPhone Specific Apps?
- Part 3: How to Clean Junk Files and Cookies on iPhone by Deleting Apps?
- Part 4: How to Clean Junk Files and Cookies on iPhone by Deleting Large Files?
- Part 5: How to Clean Junk Files and Cookies on iPhone by Deleting Duplicate Files?
- Part 6: How to Clean Junk Files and Cookies on iPhone by Restoring in iTunes?
Part 1: How to Clean Junk Files and Cookies on iPhone by Restart?
As a matter of fact, some junk files exist temporarily on iPhone. What you need to do is simply restart the iPhone, and it will clean those junk files and cookies automatically. Or, if your iPhone is experiencing high memory usage, restart is also a little trick to flush the RAM. Follow the steps below to clean junks files and cookies on iPhone by restart.
- Power off your iPhone. The steps vary for different iPhones:
- For an iPhone with Face ID, long-press either volume button and side button until the power off slider appears.
- For an iPhone with a Home button, press and hold the Power button until the power off slider appears.
Part 2: How to Clean Junk Files and Cookies on iPhone Specific Apps?
Some apps allow you to clear the app cache, cookies, temporary files, etc. You can find the option under their built-in settings, or on the default Settings app. For example, web browsers like Safari and Chrome can produce a lot of cookies and cache for the purpose of user preference data analysis. And you can clear cookies and cache on Chrome by the steps below:
- Step 1:Launch Chrome on your iPhone.
- Step 2:On the main screen, tap the three-dot icon in the bottom-right corner, and enter Settings > Privacy.
- Step 3:After selecting time range in the top-right, you can then select Browsing History, Cookies, Site Data, Cached Images and Files, Saved Passwords or Autofill Data, and tap Clear Browsing Data to clear each option respectively.
If you want to clear Safari cache and history, see: How to Clear Safari Cache & History on iPhone?
Part 3: How to Clean Junk Files and Cookies on iPhone by Deleting Apps?
However, some apps do not have cookies and cache clear feature pre-installed. So if you find that these apps eat a large storage on your iPhone, you can delete them and then redownload them to clean junk files and cookies. To check app storage usage and delete apps on your iPhone, follow the steps below.
- Go to Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap General > iPhone Storage, and you will see a list of installed apps. They should be listed in order of size, with the largest appearing at the top of the list.
- Scroll up and down until you see the eligible app. Tap it and tap Delete App for thorough cleanup.
Part 4: How to Clean Junk Files and Cookies on iPhone by Deleting Large Files?
In fact, music, videos and photos are the most space-hogging files. For example, if you just tap the Download button in YouTube, you might've downloaded 10 GB of offline videos. You can go to the Download section of each app and delete these videos. But before large file cleanup, you can first back them to computer. Obviously, iTunes is not a wise choice, because iTunes can't back up purchased and downloaded data from third-party apps. If you want to back up downloaded videos from YouTube, music from Spotify, or photos in Photos app, you can use Leawo iTransfer. This software can easily and quickly back up up to 12 kinds of files between iOS devices, computer and iTunes in simple clicks.
Step 1: Download Leawo iTransfer
Download and install Leawo iTransfer on your computer.
- Transfer files among iOS devices, iTunes and PCs with ease.
- 6x faster than iTunes
- Transfer up to 14 kinds of data and files without iTunes.
- Support the latest iOS devices like iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, etc.
- Play back, view, and delete data and files on iOS devices.
- Support Windows & Mac OS
Step 2: Connect your iPhone to computer
Connect your iPhone to computer with a USB cable, then launch this software after installation. It will recognize your iPhone automatically.
Step 3: Choose target files to back up or delete
Click the name of iPhone and choose your target folder you want to back up in the left sidebar. Then, your iPhone content will be displayed in the right panel. After checking the square box next to each file, right-click on the selected files and choose Transfer to > My Computer. Alternatively, if you want to permanently remove these files from your iPhone, you can right-click and choose Delete.
Step 4: Set output directory for the backup
In the pop-up window, you can confirm or reset the output directory for the backup. Then, click Transfer Now button to start transferring large files from iPhone to computer for backup.
Note: The auto music tag adding feature of Leawo Tunes Cleaner has been discontinued. You could use it to add or edit music tags manually.
Part 5: How to Clean Junk Files and Cookies on iPhone by Deleting Duplicate Files?
From time to time, what you want to clean junk files and cookies on iPhone is not large files, but duplicate files. In this case, Leawo Tunes Cleaner will be pushed onto the table. This software provides the most cost-effective solution to clean up duplicate music files and unnecessary files in simple clicks. By cleaning up, it makes your music files tidy and well organized in your iTunes or other music folders. Follow the steps below to clean duplicate files on your iPhone with Leawo Tunes Cleaner.
Step 1: Download Leawo Tunes Cleaner
Download and install Leawo Tunes Cleaner on your computer.
- Clean up iTunes library by fixing music files
- One click to manage any music collection high-efficiently
- Delete duplicate songs in iTunes without limits
- Automatically find and add missing music information
- Manually fix mislabeled song information and music tags
- 100% accurate, safe and speedy
Step 2: Choose scan mode for duplicates cleanup
On the main interface, enter Clean-up Duplicates module. Then, you can choose a scan mode between Quick Scan and Deep Scan.
Step 3: Add music files to scan
Simply drag and drop the music files to the app or click Add button in the bottom to import the music files or folder to the software.
Step 4: Scan and delete duplicate files
After loading source music files, click the Scan button on the upper-right corner to start scanning duplicates. All duplicates will be shown clearly. You could decide which duplicates to delete by checking them and then click the Remove button to remove duplicate songs.
Finally, after removing duplicate, you can then re-sync music from computer to iPhone to remove duplicate music files on your iPhone. For more detailed steps, see: How to Sync Music from Computer to iPhone?
Part 6: How to Clean Junk Files and Cookies on iPhone by Restoring in iTunes?
Generally, perform the cleaning process outlined above every two or three months will keep your iPhone tidy. If you are in dire need of a cleanup, or tired of cleaning junk files and cookies on iPhone one by one, you can factory restore your iPhone in iTunes. Although it won't cause any data loss, you'd better back up your iPhone before going through this method. Read this tutorial to back up your iPhone first: How to Back Up iPhone?
- Step 1:On your iPhone, go to Settings > [Your Name] > Find My > Find My iPhone, and toggle off the Find My iPhone button.
- Step 2:Connect your iPhone to computer and launch iTunes. It will recognize your iPhone immediately.
- Step 3:In the right panel, click Back Up Now to back up your iPhone with iTunes. Generally, it will only back up essential data on your iPhone, and filter and delete junk files and cookies on iPhone.
- Step 4:Finally, after backup, click the Restore Backup button to restore your iPhone from the backup.