Getting your DVD collection backed up is necessary, especially for people who tend to handle their things carelessly. But the DVD copy protection would prevent you from doing so on your computer. On Windows 7, there are programs that can help you remove DVD copy protection to allow DVD backups on it.
The best program to remove DVD copy protection Windows 7 users could try
The best DVD protection removal program I’d like to recommend to you is Leawo DVD Copy. It’s the perfect program to remove DVD copy protection Windows 7 users could use. It can remove the DVD protection when copying the DVD to your computer hard drive or to another disc and create a protection-free copy of your DVD. Its support for 1:1 lossless DVD backup would allow you to create a backup that’s exactly the same as the original disc regarding quality. You can use it to first create a lossless backup of your DVD on your computer with DVD protection removed. And when you get the original DVD disc damaged, you can use the backup to create a new copy that’s exactly the same as the original one. With the help of Leawo DVD Copy, that’s easily feasible. So why not take advantage of it and create a permanent backup of your DVD with DVD protection removed. If you are interested in doing so, check out how to remove DVD protection to copy DVD to computer hard drive with the help of Leawo DVD Copy.
Note: Leawo DVD Copy is now a component inside Leawo’s software suite called Prof.Media which packs Leawo DVD Copy and 7 other media processing modules.
How to remove DVD copy protection and copy DVD on Windows 7 with Leawo DVD Copy
Have Leawo Prof.Media installed on your computer properly and open it. You’ll have to buy the registration code for $29.95 for Leawo DVD Copy. It’s lower than the average price for similar programs but Leawo DVD Copy is one of the most powerful ones.
1. Open Prof.Media and launch DVD Copy by clicking on the respective DVD Copy icon from the first page you see after open the program.
2. Enter the DVD disc you want to copy and remove DVD protection into your optical drive and import the disc data to the program. The following interface has a sign in the center that lets you know you can drag the source DVD data folder to the program. It’s one way to import the source DVD content. The other way is click Add Blu-ray/DVD>Add from CD-ROM, if you’ve put the disc into your drive, then you should see a menu with your disc on it, click on it to start importing the disc to the program. Usually it’ll just take a few seconds to import.
3. The next panel will show you all the data in the disc including all the videos, audio tracks and subtitles. They are all listed on different areas on the left column. On the right is a video player for playback of video clips in the disc. So the program can not only perform DVD protection removal but also DVD movie playback. Before choosing a copy mode from the 3 modes at the bottom, you don’t have to pay too much attention to the content lists as the 3 different modes will help you choose different content automatically to copy other than the Custom Mode, which is for manually selecting the content. You can quickly select the main movie to include in the copy by picking Main Movie. Full Movie is for copying the whole disc. Just pick one mode and then select a DVD format from the DVD format drop-down menu in the bottom left-hand corner. If the original disc is DVD-9, then you can continue to choose DVD-9 as the format for the copy to perform a lossless backup. Or you can compress the original DVD-9 to DVD-5 by choosing DVD-5.
4. In the final step, there are a few more things you need to set up. Click the Copy button on top of the video player window and there will be a sidebar containing several options on it. At the top you will see 3 different options. To copy the DVD folder to your hard drive, check DVD folder. To copy the ISO image to your PC, check ISO file. If you want to directly copy a disc with DVD protection to a blank disc, you can get an extra DVD burner and connect to your computer, and then select it as the target from the drop-down menu in the third option. After you start the copying process, the DVD protection will be removed and all the copies will be protection-free. But before starting the copying process, you will have to select a folder on your hard drive to save the DVD folder or ISO file if you’ve checked respective options at the top. And then you can click the Copy button at the bottom to start the copy process.
That’s how to remove DVD protection with Leawo DVD Copy. It’s one of the most easy-to-use and fastest program to remove DVD copy protection Windows 7 users could find. If you want to perform DVD protection removal for your favorite DVDs to create backups, Leawo DVD Copy would be your best bet.
Leawo DVD Copy Video Tutorial
How to remove DVD Copy protection by making a digital video with MakeMKV
If the purpose of your removing DVD protection is to back up your DVDs, you can consider using MakeMKV to create a lossless video file from your discs. MakeMKV is able to rip DVD discs with copy protection and encryption and turn them into a lossless MKV video. By utilizing MakeMKV, you can have a lossless MKV video on your hard drive which can be played on your PC anytime you want. Since MakeMKV doesn’t compress the DVD, there will be no quality loss and the viewing experience of the MKV video would be just as good as the original DVD. When you need to make a new DVD disc, you can always burn the lossless MKV video and make a DVD copy that’s just as good as the original one.
As powerful as MakeMKV is, the program still tries to keep it easy for users to use it. You can easily have the protected DVD converted into a lossless MKV video in a few simple steps. Below’s how to rip protected DVDs with MakeMKV.
- 1. First off, fire up MakeMKV on your computer and put the target DVD in your DVD drive.
- 2. When the disc is in position, MakeMKV will detect the disc and show a DVD drive icon on its interface. Click on the icon when it shows up and MakeMKV will start to load DVD data.
- 3. Wait until the disc is fully loaded, and then you can click on the DVD title in the upper left to expand the DVD content list. Choose the content you need by checking them one by one.
- 4. Set where to save the output MKV file by clicking the folder icon next to the Output Folder box.
- 5. Click the Make MKV button next to Output Folder to start making MKV files.
There aren’t really many settings for you to go through as MakeMKV already have had everything taken care of. Wait for the program to finish converting the protected DVD to lossless MKV and then you can enjoy the movie freely without having to worry about DVD protections standing in your way.
DVD player programs that can play encrypted DVDs on Windows 7
Some people have been having problem playing copy protected DVDs on Windows with the built-in Windows Media Player. The copy protection could be a real issue for DVD playback on your computer. Some people have tried resetting the DRM security component and it didn’t work for all of them. Problems like this could be frustrating. If that’s what you are going through, here’s one solution to the playback issue of copy protected DVDs on Windows: use a new DVD player program. Some DVD/Blu-ray player programs are able to disregard the copy protection on Blu-ray/DVDs and play them with no problem. Here’s one DVD player program that’s able to play copy protected DVDs: Leawo Blu-ray Player.
Leawo Blu-ray Player is a video player as well as a Blu-ray/DVD player capable of playing commercial Blu-ray/DVD discs with copy protections and region codes. And it’s free. Since the built-in media player in Windows had stop supporting playback of Blu-ray discs since Windows 8, it’s necessary to have a third-party video player that can play Blu-ray discs and Leawo Blu-ray Player is one of the best options you can have. Most of the Blu-ray player programs out there don’t come free, but Leawo Blu-ray Player is an exception. It offers smooth Blu-ray/DVD playback experience and it won’t cost you a penny.
Leawo Blu-ray Player comes with a clean and concise interface. When you put a DVD disc inside your DVD drive, Leawo Blu-ray Player will directly show you the DVD title. Click on it and the DVD will start playing automatically.