A headphone jack can be provided to record audio. The working principle for headphone jack is that it offers an audio source in line level, the recording audio cannot be amplified, you have to boost the recording volume once the recording is finished via the mixing tool.
A standard headphone jack goes through a tip and a ring and a sleeve connection to offer stereo signal. Not all the recording devices can receive this stereo output. A same tip and a ring and a sleeve connection which is associated with a microphone line usually receives one audio channel.
Part 1: How to Set up Heaphone Jack for Recording
To set up headphone jack for recording, you firstly need an audio cable with 3.5mm in male to male, which can be used to associate their devices with a speaker. One audio jack at the end of the audio cable must be inserted to headphone, while the other end must be inserted to the microphone slot on your computer. Once this operation is done, that means the output audio will be redirected as the input audio. Then any audio can be recorded as you need from the microphone.
Now you can play audio that you would like to record and then run the recording software on your computer and press on the button “Record” to begin the recording work. If no waves can be seen on the recording software, you should check and ensure the settings are running rightly.
Because the audio is redirected via the cable, this method can also be used in recording audio from Android or Mac or any device with the audio jack in 3.5mm. You just need to get the audio jack removed from the headphone slots and then insert it to the headphone slot on other devices. Then it will work normally even you change the audio source.
Part 2: How to Record Audio from Headphone Jack with Windows Sounder
To record audio from headphone jack, a free utility program is built in the computer named Sound Recorder, which allows you to set up audio recording to suit your needs. When you want to record a voice memo in a short and simple way or send to someone an email with audio attachment, Sound Recorder will be a great help for you in the case that you have no microphone to connect to the input jack of computer, using headphone jack to connect to it for your record would be a good substitute.
Before recording audio from headphone jack via Windows Sounder, the configuration of headphones need to be set as the following steps.
1. Find the headphone which comes with minimum amount of filler around the earpieces to suit your computer.
2. Connect your headphone to the computer by inserting it into the mic jack on your computer. The jack for the sound card can be found on the computer’s back. If there is no mic jack for the sound card, you can insert the headphone to “Line in” jack. You can refer to the users manual of computer or go to the internet support site to find these mentioned jacks if you feel hard to find them.
3. Right click on the microphone icon located in the system tray which is near the system clock. Then a drop-down menu will be called out. Click on “Recording Devices” to turn on the “Sound” window.
4. Click on the icon “Microphone”, then the window “Microphone Properties” will be shown up by clicking “Properties”.
5. You can find the volume slider to control microphone’s volume by clicking the tab “Levels”.
6. Click on “Slider” and then slide it to the right until it reaches the maximum volume. Then click on “OK”.
After you finish the above configuration, you can begin to record audio by referring to the steps as below:
1. Click on the button “Start” to call out “Start” menu.
2. Enter “Sound Recorder” to run Windows Sound Recorder.
3. Get one earpiece of your headphone closed to your audio source, and then click on the button “Start Recording” on the Sound Recorder to enable this recording program to begin the recording work.
4. Make the audio source play in a clear and maximum volume. Once the recording is completed, click on “Stop Recording”. Then a “Save As” pane will pop up and require you to choose an output directory for the recorded audio. Give a name of your recorded audio in the textbox of “File Name” and then click on “Save” button. Your recorded audio files will be saved in the WMA output format via Sound Recorder.
All the mentioned above is the whole procedures of recording audio from headphone jack via the recording software Sound Recorder on your computer, by following the above steps, you can finish your recordings effectively and reliably.
Part 3: How to Record Audio from Headphone Jack using Music Recorder
If you want to record audio from headphone jack with music recorder, a helpful third party tool – Leawo Music Recorder will do a good favour to you on recording any audio in original quality. It is a super audio recording software to help you record audio from multiple sources like the online music, the built-in input audio, and computer audio. The recorded audio can be saved as MP3 or WAV output format without any data loss. Due to the smart setting of this software, the tags of recorded audio can be added automatically or it can be edited manually by using music tag editor. The built-in library is able to assist you to make all the recorded audio files well-organized. Additionally, the recorded audio can be shared to iTunes with one simple click. Any audio can be captured with Leawo Music Recorder due to its multiple kinds of customized settings, such as Task scheduler or the audio source or the output format or more. Here we will teach you how to record audio from headphone jack with Leawo music recorder as below.
1. Install and run Leawo music recorder on your computer and then you will enter the main interface of recording. Clicking on the icon button “Audio Source” on the pane to preset the audio source is the first step before the recording work begins. Because we need to record audio from headphone jack, which has been set to the built-in audio previously, we have to click on the option “ Record Audio Input”.
2. Click on the red button “Start” to enable Leawo Music recorder to work. Then click to make the audio files play. You should note that the recording software must begin to work firstly and then the audio files can be played.
The basic settings of the Music Recorder can be used to help you record a perfect audio to meet your needs. You can click on the button “Recording task scheduler” on the left corner bottom to bring out the function of Task Scheduler, in which the recording time and the duration can be set smartly to meet your requirement.
Part 4: How to Record Audio from Headphone Jack through Free Sound Recorder
Free sound recorder is designed to record any audio from multiple kinds of sources. The recorded audio are kept in original quality with this effective sound recording tool. Any voice and sound can be simply recorded from the different channels like external LP and microphone, DVD player the radio, etc. The recording quality is able to reach what you expected. Owning powerful and all-round audio editing and recording of this software is primary to record high-level sound and digitalized music instruments. But, some of the audio recording software can be ranged from the professional products to the simple application with the essential function. Free sound recorder is the recording software coming with the multiple functions, which would your best selection among all the audio recording softwares. How to record audio from headphone with free sound recorder, the specific steps are listed below for your reference.
1. Launch free sound recorder on your computer after the output audio has been set to the input audio via headphone jack.
2. Sound card and sound source must be selected. Click on the window button “Show Mixer” in the drop-down list, where the Mic Volume can be found. Next, choose the correct recording device via the drop-down menu “Recording Device”. Then, the balance and the volume must be adjusted to your needs.
3. Click on the “Option” to bring out the option pane. The output format must be set according to the selections of WMA, MP3, OGG and WAV. The recording quality can be adjusted by click on the option “Settings” to set the parameters and specify the presets. To choose the output directory for the recorded audio, you can click on the option “Change”. Additionally, the recorded audio file can be named automatically according to the time and the date.
4. You can click on the button “Recording” to begin the audio recording, if you want to end the recording, click on the button “Stop” can stop your audio recording. The recorded audio will be saved to the output directory and will be shown to you with the essential information including location and the file name, the duration and the time.