HDR10 and Dolby Vision are the two main HDR formats. But not all the people are familiar with the two formats, and they cannot tell the difference of HDR10 vs Dolby Vision. Below, we will share with you their features and difference.
- Part 1: Dolby Vision vs HDR10
- Extension: How to Rip movies from Dolby Vision and HDR10 Blu-ray discs
- Method 1: Rip movies from Dolby Vision and HDR10 Blu-ray discs with Blu-ray Ripper
- Method 2: Rip movies from Dolby Vision and HDR10 Blu-ray discs using VLC
- Method 3: Rip movies from Dolby Vision and HDR10 Blu-ray discs through Handbrake
Part 1: Dolby Vision vs HDR10
What is HDR+?
HDR is a method that aims to add more “dynamic range” to photographs, where dynamic range is the ratio of light to dark in a photograph. Generally, it uses three photos that are taken at various exposures. HDR is the latest enhancement to make it to televisions, streaming devices and your favorite TV shows and movies.
What is Dolby Vision?
Dolby Vision transforms the way we experience movies, TV shows, and games with incredible brightness, contrast, and color that bring entertainment to life before your eyes, for it gives movies the tools they need to create experiences that preserves the creative intent without compromise.
HDR10 vs Dolby Vision
Below, we will make a comparison of Dolby Vision vs HDR10. The first of the two major differences of Dolby Vision vs HDR10+ is that Dolby Vision uses 12 bits per color (red, green, and Blue), while HDR-10 uses 10 bits per color. The second difference of Dolby Vision vs HDR10 comparison is in the metadata, which is about a TV how to display the HDR content. Dolby Vision uses continuous metadata so the color & brightness levels can be adjusted on per scene. Last but not least, HDR10 is an open-standard and non-proprietary while Dolby Vision requires license and fee from Dolby.
In short, Dolby Vision is able to produce a high quality image, for there are no TVs that could take full advantage of what it provides as opposed to HDR10. After knowing more about Dolby Vision HDR vs HDR10, you may want to rip movies from Dolby Vision and HDR10 Blu-ray discs, and watch them on your phone, tablet, somewhere else. After turning it into a movie file on your computer, you can play it wherever you want. Here’s how to do it.
Extension: How to Rip movies from Dolby Vision and HDR10 Blu-ray discs
Method 1: Rip movies from Dolby Vision and HDR10 Blu-ray discs with Blu-ray Ripper?
When mentioning about Blu-ray ripper software, most people will think of Leawo Blu-Ray Ripper, owning to its powerful features and user-friendly interface. It can help you to rip and convert Blu-ray/DVD to 180+ formats like MKV, MP4, AVi, etc. After having a better understanding of HDR10 vs Dolby Vision, someone may look forward to ripping Blu-ray and save them in all formats for any media player and device. As a comprehensive Blu-ray DVD ripper software bundle that could handle both Blu-ray and DVD conversions, Leawo Blu-ray Ripper could help you watch, share and save Blu-ray/DVD content in the way you like. Cannot wait to finding out how to rip movies from Dolby Vision and HDR10 Blu-ray discs with Blu-ray Ripper? Just follow the simple steps mentioned below.
1. You need to download and install this program at your computer first. Then launch it and insert the Blu-ray disc into your hard drive. After getting into the main interface, select the option “Blu-ray Ripper” in the middle to enter the converting interface.
2. On the converting interface, to import the targeted Blu-ray, click “Add Blu-ray/DVD” option. It will take a few seconds for the program to load the disk. Later, you will get three options to import Blu-ray/DVD file(s): Full Movie, Main Movie and Custom Mode. There is a bit different among these options: Full Movie is to import all titles, Main Movie is to import the longest title by default, and Custom Mode is to freely choose titles for importing.
3. It is time to set the output format and device. In the drop-down box “MP4 Video” next to “Add Photo”, you can click a small panel that pops up, then click “Change” to get into the pane l “Profile” to have further parameter settings. There are various video/audio format available, such as 4K MP4, 4K MKV, HD MP4, HD AVI, and MOV. And many optional mobile device as output profile, including iPhone 6s, iPad Air, etc.
Tip: If you want to customize the targeted file, click the same drop-down box and then clicking “Edit” option, to set video & audio parameters of selected profile like Video Codec, Bit Rate, Resolution, Frame Rate, Aspect Ratio, Audio Codec, Channel, Sample Rate, etc.
4. After profile settings, you need to set a directory to save your files. In the converting panel, on which you need to click the green “Convert” button. As it is clicked, a small sidebar will appear for you to set a directory under “Save to” box for containing the output files. At the end, click the “Convert” button locating at the bottom of sidebar to start conversion process.
To get the best viewing experience of HDR10 vs Dolby Vision, Leawo Blu-ray Ripper is your first choice.
Method 2: Rip movies from Dolby Vision and HDR10 Blu-ray discs using VLC
As one of the most popular and robust multi-format, free media player available, VLC Media Player plays almost any video or music file format you can find. Not only can VLC Media Player handle loads of different formats(such as MPEG, AVI, RMBV, FLV, QuickTime, WMV, MP4 ), VLC Media Player can also playback partial audio & video media files so you can preview downloads before they complete. Besides, you can also play with synchronization settings including a graphic equalizer with multiple pre-sets, overlays, special effects…
Through the comparison of Dolby Vision vs HDR10, we’ve found that Dolby Vision delivers a vastly superior picture, with richer color and more detail in the light. To make the best of the Dolby Vision and HDR10 Blu-ray discs, read the guide showing you how to rip movies using VLC.
1. First, insert your Blu-Ray Disc to the disk drive in your laptop.
2. Then launch VLC Media Player and access Media > Convert/Save.
3. Click on the Disc in the interface, select “Blu-ray” in the Disc Selection, and uncheck “No disc menus”.
4. To select your disc, click “Browse” and then “Convert/Save” at the right corner.
5. Next, select the Profile you need, for example, “Video – H.264 + MP3 (MP4)” works great for videos while “Audio – MP3″ works great for ripping audio CDs.
6. In the end, after setting all the parameters needed, click “Browse” to choose a destination file to save the output file. Hit “Start” to begin the Blu-ray ripping.
Download VLC Media Player and have a try to test whether the result of Dolby Vision vs HDR10 plus is true or not.
Method 3: Rip movies from Dolby Vision and HDR10 Blu-ray discs through HandBrake
With HandBrake, you can successfully convert video from almost any format to a plethora of widely supported codecs. HandBrake offers a “simple, easy and fast” service as well as high-quality conversions. If you hope to get further details and the latest news surrounding the program, you can feel free to view on the software creator’s website.
With Dolby Vision vs HDR10 comparison, you may want to try Handbrake to turn the wonderful Blu-ray into a movie file on your computer. Follow the steps below.
Handbrake is able to convert your file into compatible formats for any device, like an iPad or Android phone, which is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
1. Download and install Handbrake to your computer.
2. Insert the Blu-ray you want to rip, and open Handbrake.
3. Click the “Source” button locating at the upper left-hand corner of the interface and choose your DVD drive from the folder. In general, it will take a few seconds to scan your Blu-ray.
4. Later, return to the “Title” drop-down menu at the upper left hand corner of the interface to select which part of the DVD you want to rip.
5. When it is done, click “Browse” to save your movie file, and type a name in the box. Finally, click “OK”.
6. To set some parameters, you can go to the bar on the right named ”Presets”. After we know the result of Dolby Vision HDR vs HDR10, it would be much better to watch the film on your computer, so the “Normal” or “High Profile” preset is better.
7. At last, hit the “Start” button at the top of the window.
By default, Handbrake can only rip unprotected DVDs, but most DVDs you buy from the store have copy protection. Therefore, to overcome this issue, you have to install libdvdcss. If not, even though you know the difference of Dolby Vision vs HDR10+, you cannot rip the movie when it is with protection.
Ultimately, the difference between Dolby Vision vs HDR10 isn’t that important. The quality of the TV itself has a much bigger impact on HDR. And both Dolby Vision hdr vs HDR10 have the ability to produce much more dynamic images than we are seeing on the best TVs today.