You might have stacks of DVD collections laying around the house, and want to convert DVD to AVI file on hard drive so that you can then bring a movie library onboard, or take it along to saving luggage space while traveling. However the only problem is that it’s not easy to extract movies out from discs. If you're looking for what is probably the easiest way to convert DVD to AVI video format, I hope this post may help you.
Part 1: Introduction to AVI
Section 1: What is AVI?
Audio Video Interleave (also Audio Video Interleaved), known by its initials AVI, is a multimedia container format introduced by Microsoft in November 1992 as part of its Video for Windows software. AVI files can contain both audio and video data in a file container that allows synchronous audio-with-video playback. Like the DVD video format, AVI files support multiple streaming audio and video, although these features are seldom used. Most AVI files also use the file format extensions developed by the Matrox OpenDML group in February 1996. These files are supported by Microsoft, and are unofficially called "AVI 2.0".
Section 2: Advantages and Disadvantages of AVI
Let us take a look at the following chart listing advantages and disadvantages of AVI.
|Advantages of AVI||Disadvantages of AVI|
|There are lots of codecs currently available that can be used to achieve desired compression ratio of AVI format.||If AVI files are compressed using some codecs then in order to retrieve and play the file it requires the same codec to be installed on the machine.|
|AVI file format has exceptionally high quality audio fidelity.||AVI files if uncompressed can be very large in size as compared to the other file formats.|
|In order to make it compatible with the DV standard, DV-AVI standard can be compressed unlike other audio/video formats.||AVI files if compressed beyond certain limits result in the loss of video quality.|
|AVI file format is developed by windows, which makes it playable with all the major Microsoft and non-Microsoft operating systems.|
|Playable DVDs and disks can be created by using AVI file format in order to store initial audio/video information.|
|AVI file format do not require any particular hardware device of software application for the file to run.|
|AVI file format is the most widely used video format for promos, short movies and advertisements owing to its compression capabilities.|
Part 2: Additional Knowledge of Why and What
Section 1: Why do people convert DVD to AVI?
DVD video offers high video/audio quality for users, but with a lot of restrictions.
- It requires a DVD drive and a MPEG2 decoder.
- Each DVD-Video disc contains one or more region codes, denoting the area(s) of the world to which distribution and playback are intended. The commercial DVD player specification dictates that a player must only play discs that contain its region code.
- It is not as convenient as many videos could be directly stored in computer.
Therefore, it's necessary to convert DVD to other video format. AVI is one of the options that we can choose, and it is supported on Windows and even some standalone DVD players, and still suitable for certain formats like DV. Since it was developed for Windows 3.1 in 1992, it does lack some features found in newer containers like MPEG or MP4. Whatever, it is widely used by consumers.
So, there comes a solution, to convert DVD to AVI. With this solution, users could enjoy DVD videos as AVI video format. That means, people could backup DVDs into their computer and could watch them at anytime very conveniently. If there is a good DVD to AVI converter, the video/audio quality will be almost the same as the original DVD.
Section 2: What are needed to Convert DVD to AVI?
To convert and rip DVD to AVI files on Mac or PC, it’s quite clear that you need to prepare source DVD movie (either in DVD disc or DVD folder), a computer with enough storage space, data transfer cable if you want to convert DVD to AVI files for portable devices like mobile phones, etc. Among these, 2 things are of the most important:
- A DVD disc drive: especially needed when you want to rip and convert DVD disc to AVI file on Mac or PC. Most new computers have no DVD disc drive pre-installed. You need to get one for reading DVD discs before you could rip and convert DVD discs.
- Software to decrypt and rip DVD to AVI file: simply speaking, you need a DVD to AVI converter that is able to handle DVD to AVI conversion task fast and with ease. Taking the disc protection into account, this DVD to AVI converter is better with disc decrypting ability to remove disc protection of various types.
Part 3: How to Convert DVD to AVI with Leawo DVD Ripper?
Section 1: Leawo DVD Ripper - the best DVD to AVI Converter
Leawo DVD Ripper is the best DVD to AVI converter capable of converting DVD to AVI file format. As a professional DVD ripper, Leawo DVD Ripper is superior to any free DVD ripping application.
Leawo DVD Ripper – Professional DVD ripping and converting program to decrypt, convert DVD movies to videos without quality loss.
* Decrypt and rip DVD discs with disc protection and region code;
* Convert DVD to AVI, MP4, MKV, MOV, FLV, and other 180+ HD/SD formats;
* Convert DVD main movie to videos for space saving;
* Convert 2D DVD movies to 3D movies with 6 different 3D effects;
* Fast conversion with NVIDIA CUDA, AMD APP and Intel Quick Sync acceleration technologies;
Leawo DVD Ripper provides Windows and Mac version. Download the right version of Leawo DVD Ripper based on the computer's Operating System, and then intall it before converting DVD to AVI.
Section 2: How to convert DVD to AVI with Leawo DVD Ripper?
The following simple step-by-step guide takes Leawo DVD Ripper Windows version as an example to show you how to convert DVD to AVI with Leawo DVD Ripper with the best DVD to AVI converter.
Import source DVD file
After the intallation of Leawo DVD Ripper, launch it and click “Add Blu-ray/DVD” button on the main interface to load source DVD file.
Choose output format
Click the drop-down box (named “MP4 Video” by default), and choose “Change” to choose “AVI Video”.
Adjust detailed settings
If mouse stays on the format option, there will appear an “Edit” icon for you. Click it to adjust video and audio parameters of output format, including: video codec, quality, bit rate, frame rate, aspect ratio, channel, audio codec, resolution, etc.
Start to convert
Click the big green “Convert” button on the top-right of the interface to start to rip DVD to AVI.
Congratulations! You have succeeded to convert DVD to AVI. You can now play the DVD movie on your portable devices freely on the go!
Part 4: Video Tutorial Guide of Leawo DVD Ripper
In order to vividly present the converting process from DVD to AVI and to many other output formats, Leawo Software has produced a video tutorial guide of Leawo DVD Ripper to visually teach users how to rip DVD to AVI with the professional DVD to AVI converter.
Part 5: A free way to rip DVD to AVI Mac users could try
If you are not planning on spending money on getting your old DVDs digitized, there's a way for you to do it for free. It includes two programs, One is MakeMKV and the other is Avidemux. If you've heard of MakeMKV before, you should know it can rip Blu-ray and DVDs. Its Blu-ray ripping feature isn't free, but the DVD ripping feature is. But it can only produce MKV videos, so we'll need help from Avidemux to help us convert the MKV video to AVI. Below is the detailed guide on how to convert DVD to AVI on Mac with MakeMKV and Avidemux.
Section 1. How to rip DVD to MKV with MakeMKV
- 1. Install MakeMKV on your Mac and run it after the installation's finished.
- 2. Put the DVD disc in your disc drive and wait for MakeMKV to detect the disc.
- 3. When a DVD drive icon emerges from the center of MakeMKV's interface, click on it to allow MakeMKV to load dis content.
- 4. Click on DVD disc on the top of the left column to expand the content list of the DVD and select the content you need from the list.
- 5. Click the Folder button next to Output Folder box to set the location of the MKV video.
- 6. To start ripping the disc, click the MakeMKV button next to Output Folder.
Section 2. How to convert MKV to AVI using Avidemux
- 1. Have Avidemux installed on your computer and launch it after the installation is done.
- 2. Click the Open File icon in the top right-hand corner and import the MKV video created by MakeMKV to Avidemux.
- 3. Choose a video codec for the AVI video from the drop-down menu under Video Output.
- 4. Select an audio codec for the output video from the drop-down menu below Audio Output.
- 5. Select AVI Muxer from the drop-down menu under Output Format to set AVI as the default output format for the MKV video.
- 6. Click the Save button next to the Open File button to set a location for the output video and then the MKV to AVI conversion will start automatically.
Note: You should know that both MakeMKV and Avidemux have Windows versions. You could even use Leawo Video Converter to replace Avidemux since Leawo Video Converter even abllows you to edit ripped DVD movies like adding watermark, adjusting video effect, trimming video length, etc.
Both methods will be able to help you rip DVD to AVI. But each method has their own advantages. You can preview video titles directly within Leawo DVD Ripper and it can also rip DVD to play on Apple TV or other devices. The video preview feature will come in handy when the disc has a lot of different titles and you need to decide what titles to keep in the output video.