You might have stacks of DVD collections laying around the house, and want to convert DVD to AVI file on hard drive so that you can then bring a movie library onboard, or take it along to saving luggage space while traveling. However the only problem is that it's not easy to extract movies out from discs. If you're looking for what is probably the easiest way to convert DVD to AVI video format, I hope this post may help you.
Part 1: Best DVD to AVI Converter - Leawo DVD Ripper
As a professional DVD converter, Leawo DVD Ripper could help you convert DVD to video and audio in 180+ formats, like MPEG, MP4, AVI, FLV, RMVB, MKV, MOV, WMV, etc. for various media players and devices. In addition, Leawo DVD ripper can also act as a video editor to help you trim DVD movie, crop DVD video size, add image or text watermark, create 3D movie, etc. And it can help you to select subtitles and audio tracks from source DVD movies for output videos.
Why is Leawo DVD Ripper the best DVD to AVI converter software? Firstly, Leawo DVD Ripper comes with advanced DVD disc decryption ability that could help you decrypt, rip and convert both encrypted and homemade DVD discs. Secondly, Leawo DVD Ripper enables you to adjust the video and audio parameters of output files so as to let you get exactly AVI files you want. Thirdly, Leawo DVD Ripper handles not only DVD discs, but also DVD folders and ISO image files. Therefore, you could nearly convert any DVD content to AVI files according to your needs for any media player and device.
☉ Convert DVD to video/audio files like MKV, MP4, AVI, FLV, RMVB, etc
☉ Convert DVD to iPad, iPhone, Android devices
☉ Edit DVD video files with built-in video editor
☉ Add 3D effect with built-in 3D movie creator
☉ Selectable subtitles and audio tracks from source DVD movies for output videos
The below steps would show you how to rip and convert DVD movies to AVI files in detail with the best DVD to AVI converter - Leawo DVD Ripper. Meanwhile, get source DVD movie ready for converting.
Step 1: Get prepared
Download and install Leawo DVD Ripper via the above links, and then launch it. (Mac users please download the Mac DVD Ripper). Meanwhile, insert DVD disc into the DVD drive that is connected to your computer, or get source DVD movie folder or ISO image file ready for converting.
- Leawo DVD Ripper is a module built in Leawo Prof. Media.
Step 2: Load source DVD movie
Kick off Leawo Prof. Media, and then open the “Convert” module. Click “Add Blu-ray/DVD” button to import DVD disc, folder or ISO image files. You can also just drag the DVD file to the main interface.
- Leawo DVD Ripper offers 3 different content loading modes. The Full Movie mode loads all source DVD content, Main Movie mode by default loads the longest title (generally the main movie) but allows you to switch another title for loading, while Custom Mode enables you to select desired DVD title(s) for loading. Choose one according to your needs.
Step 3. Set AVI Video as output format
Click the drop-down box before the big green “Convert” button. On the drop-down menu, click the “Change” option to enter the Profile panel, where you need to select AVI Video as output format from “Format > Common Video” group.
Also, if you want to set the parameters of output profile, you can select “Edit” to enter the editing panel including “Video Codec”, “Bite Rate”, “Resolution”, “Frame Rate”, “Aspect Ratio”, “Audio Codec”, “Audio Sample Rate”, etc.
Step 4. Set directory and convert DVD to AVI video
After adjusting the video settings, click “OK” button to return to the “Convert” main interface. And then click the big green “Convert” button. Select a target path to save the output file in the “Save to” box and then click the “Covert” icon below to start ripping DVD movie file to AVI video files.
You could then view the entire DVD to AVI conversion on the converting interface. Leawo DVD Ripper will complete the DVD movie to AVI video conversion quickly. Actually, with Leawo DVD Ripper, you could get far more than DVD to AVI conversion, such as DVD movie editing, 2D to 3D conversion, etc.
Part 2: Convert DVD to AVI Free with StaxRip
StaxRip is an all-in-one conversion/encoding tool designed to convert DVD/DVB and other video file formats to DivX, XviD and H.264. It supports outputs in the container formats AVI, MKV, MP4, DivX and PMP (PlayStation Portable). It's designed to be used by people who may not be familiar with all aspects of video conversion, but have enough knowledge to know the process - this is why it doesn't require the user to have Avisynth knowledge and at the same time allows you to configure most of the advanced codec and container settings. The disadvantage is that StaxRip hasn't been updated for a while now (and may not work with the latest version of the software it uses).
If you have no idea how to rip and convert DVD to AVI video files with StaxRip, follow the below steps:
- Free download and run StaxRip (version 126.96.36.199) on your Windows PC, then go at Tools -> Applications.
- Open the Misc folder. First of all select AviSynth and click Setup. Proceed with install. If you don't have Java (or are not sure), select it as well and click the Website button in order to download and install it. You should already have ffmpeg. This is all we need right now so close the applications window.
- Note that in various areas of the GUI the titles are like hyperlinks. We will click on them in order to set various settings. Before going any further, you should also rip the DVD to your hard drive, then back to the main interface and click Source in order to load the DVD files.
- At the window that pops select Single Or Merge and select ALL the .vob files that you previously ripped. Click OK. StaxRip will now demux, index and merge the .vob files so be a bit patient. When it is done, move to the next step.
- Now select 2pass x264 Film Medium, and choose Xvid or MP4 Container as output format. Click the Config Container to add subtitles and set the target size in megabytes. Moving to the audio preferences, we will selectAAC codec here and a 5.1 configuration in order to preserve the multichannel audio. You can also select Mp3 or the Just Mux option that will retain the original DVD audio unchanged. This is it! Now click Next to proceed with the encoding.
- After clicking Next the Jobs window will appear. Click Start in order to start the encoding process. If you want to encode more DVDs at once just click Close and repeat the steps again to add a second job. You can view the process in the Log.
In a few minutes/hours your file will be ready. You only need to wait for the conversion to complete.
Part 3: Convert DVD to AVI Free with MPEG StreamClip
Squared 5’s free MPEG Streamclip can convert VOB files. It supports a wide variety of output formats including QuickTime, DV, AVI, MPEG, and MPEG-4. It can also extract just the audio tracks from VOB files. One of MPEG Streamclip’s key advantages is that it can extract precisely the portions of the VOB file that you want. You could use MPEG Streamclip to easily convert DVD movie to AVI video files.
You need to follow the below steps to learn how to convert DVD to AVI files in detail.
- Download and install MPEG Streamclip on your computer.
- Launch MPEG Streamclip on your computer.
- Go to “File > Open DVD” option.
- In the dialog that appears, import your source DVD disc, folder or ISO image file. Click OK and wait a second for the content to load into the program
- Hit the Play button in MPEG Streamclip to preview, fast forward, etc. This is to verify your content was loaded into the program correctly.
- If you only want to rip a portion of the DVD: You may mark 'in' and 'out' points by moving your playhead to the points you want the footage to begin and end and hitting 'i' and 'o' on the keyboard.
- When you are ready to copy the DVD, go to “File > Export” option. Choose AVI video as output format.
- If you know what you are doing, you can change the settings in the dialog box. Otherwise, just click “Make Movie” at the bottom.
- Give the file a descriptive name and save it to your folder on the “User Drive”. Click “Save” button to start converting.
You then only need to wait for the conversion to complete.
Part 4: Other DVD to AVI Freeware Recommendations
There are also other DVD to AVI freeware converters that could be used for converting DVD movies to AVI video files. Here we would like to recommend them to you as well below.
HandBrake is an open-source video transcoder available for Linux, Mac, and Windows. Everyone can use HandBrake to make videos for free. HandBrake works with most common video files and formats, including ones created by consumer and professional video cameras, mobile devices such as phones and tablets, game and computer screen recordings, and DVD and Blu-ray discs. HandBrake leverages tools such as Libav, x264, and x265 to create new MP4 or MKV video files.
MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere. It converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way. The MKV format can store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters. There are many players that can play MKV files nearly on all platforms, and there are tools to convert MKV files to many formats, including DVD and Blu-ray discs.
With both HandBrake and MakvMKV, you could easily convert DVD to MKV or MP4 files. Then you could make use of video converters to convert MP4/MKV to AVI files easily.
Part 5: Comparison and Conclusion
You could use all the above-mentioned solutions to help you easily convert DVD to AVI video files. But you need to know that there are quite a few differences between these DVD to AVI converters. Leawo DVD Ripper is the most powerful DVD converter tool since it could decrypt and rip encrypted and homemade DVD discs to videos in AVI and 180+ other file formats according to your needs, and provide more bonus features such as subtitle selecting, DVD editing, 2D to 3D converting, etc. HandBrake and MakeMKV are wonderful, but they only output MKV/MP4 video files, and you have to install libdvdcss for HandBrake for handling encrypted DVD content. As to StaxRip and MPEG Stream, they have very less custom features and couldn’t handle commercial DVD content.