"Can iDVD create DVD from MP4 Mac and other types of movie files copied from YouTube? iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)? "
"Do I need an MP4 to DVD converter for Mac program such as Toast or QuickTime Pro to burn mp4 to DVD Mac, or is it possible to use iDVD or disk utility to directly convert MP4 to DVD on Mac? imac g5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)"
As one of the most popular video formats, MP4 has been widely used for movie watching and recognized by most media players and devices. Since most videos are with MP4 extension, the needs for burning MP4 to DVD Mac arise. If you happen to have the same need, this guide would show you some effective solutions on how to burn MP4 to DVD Mac.
Part 1: How to Burn DVD from MP4 Mac with iDVD
If your MP4 files play correctly in QuickTime Player, you can just drag MP4 files into the iDVD and it can burn MP4 to DVD on Mac (Lion, Snow Leopard included). The below steps show you how to burn MP4 to DVD Mac with iDVD (MP4 videos that could be played correctly in QuickTime Player):
- Launch iDVD.
- Go to "File / One Step DVD from movie..." from the menu bar.
- Navigate to the movie file you want to burn to DVD with iDVD and check it for loading.
- Insert a blank writable DVD disc (DVD-R or DVD-RW recommended) into your SuperDrive, and iDVD would start to burn your movie to DVD on Mac soon.
- When the DVD pops out, insert it into the regular DVD player connected to your TV and enjoy.
However, if your MP4 files couldn't played on QuickTime Player correctly, you may need to turn to some other tools to convert MP4 to DVD Mac with iDVD. They are QuickTime Player and Perian. The below steps would show you how to burn MP4 to DVD Mac with iDVD if your MP4 files couldn't play correctly on QuickTime Player:
- Open your MP4 files with QuickTime Player. (Install a Perian for your QuickTime Player if you can't open MP4 files with QuickTime Player).
- From QuickTime, save the MP4 file in .mov format.
- Copy the .mov file to your iTunes Library. Open iTunes and just drag the files to the Library section.
- After converting MP4 to MOV within QuickTime Player, you could then open your iDVD and then follow the steps mentioned above to convert MP4 to DVD Mac within iDVD.
Disadvantages of using iDVD to convert MP4 to DVD Mac:
- iDVD is no longer preinstalled on Apple's latest computer. You have to get it from iLife '11 to '13.
- You have to download and install the codec package - Perian for QuickTime Player if your MP4 files couldn't be played on QuickTime Player correctly. This means you firstly have to view the whole MP4 file on QuickTime Player, consuming time and energy.
- Quite obviously, iDVD doesn't support batch MP4 to DVD burning on Mac.
- Unlike some 3rd-party Mac MP4 to DVD converter software that enables you to edit MP4 files like adding signature and customizing disc menu, iDVD has no such features.
Part 2: How to Burn MP4 to DVD Mac with Mac MP4 to DVD Converter
If your QuickTime player doesn't play MP4 files smoothly, or you have no iDVD preinstalled on your Mac computer, you could get another much easier-to-use and the same powerful solution to burn MP4 to DVD Mac. That's to make use of 3rd-party Mac MP4 to DVD converter - Leawo MP4 to DVD Converter for Mac. As a professional MP4 to DVD burner Mac, it offers easy to use but cost-effective solution to let you burn MP4 to DVD Mac in disc, folder and/or ISO image file as you like.
Why Use Leawo DVD Creator for Mac:
How to Burn MP4 to DVD Mac with Leawo's MP4 to DVD Converter for Mac:
Download and install this Mac MP4 to DVD converter, get source MP4 files ready, and prepare a blank writable DVD disc (DVD-R/DVD-RW) if you want to burn MP4 to DVD disc on Mac. Then, follow the below steps to learn how to burn MP4 to DVD on Mac without iDVD. (To burn MP4 to DVD disc on Mac, insert blank writable DVD disc into hte SuperDrive before you start burning MP4 to DVD Mac as below):