If you are a loyal fan of Apple products, you will use iTunes a lot. You may rely on this software to transfer files or back up your iOS devices. However, sometimes iTunes doesn't recognize iPhone but the software doesn't seem to have any problem. It will be very annoying if you are in need of backing up your iPhone files to computer.
Checking the USB cable of your iPhone is necessary. Find another computer, plug your iPhone into the computer via the USB cable, and then launch iTunes to see whether it recognizes your iPhone. If the iTunes on this computer can recognize your iPhone, it may be the problem of the your iTunes. The following guidance may be helpful when iTunes doesn't recognize iPhone, and it is used on a Windows PC:
1. Plug your iPhone into computer via the USB cable and keep the iTunes closed.
2. Stop "Apple Mobile Device" service. You can start the "Task Manager" by right-clicking the "Task Bar" and choosing "Start Task Manager". Click "Services" in "Task Manager" and find "Apple Mobile Device" then click "Service" at the right bottom. The window of "Service" pops up, and you will be able to find "Stop this Service" in the left part of the window.
3. Uninstall "Apple iPhone" device driver. Right-click "Property" of "My Computer", open "Device Manager", and then click "Portable Devices". Right-click "Apple iPhone" and select "Uninstall".
4. Start "Apple Mobile Device" service. You are able to find "Start this Service" in the window of "Services" in Step 2.
5. Disconnect iPhone. Then Plug your iPhone into computer via the USB cable. Let Windows reinstall the driver for your iPhone.
6. Launch iTunes.
This guidance may help the iTunes to recognize your iPhone again. If it still doesn't work, you can uninstall and reinstall iTunes. But before uninstall and reinstall iTunes, you may want to backup iPhone files to computer first. As iTunes can't recognize iPhone at this moment, I suggest you try third party iPhone transfer software to backup iPhone.
Leawo iTransfer is easy-to-use transfer software. This software is used for transferring files among iOS devices, iTunes and PCs. This software can transfer various kinds of files without the sync of iTunes, including music, movies, TV shows, ringtones, ebooks, photos and Camera Roll files. The following guidance will show you how to backup iPhone when iTunes doesn't recognize iPhone. You can free download Leawo iTransfer and have a try.
Tips: Leawo iTransfer only works with iTunes installed on your PC.
How to Backup iPhone when iTunes Doesn't Recognize iPhone
Step 1. Run Leawo iTransfer and Connect iPhone
Run the iTransfer after installing it on your computer. Connect iPhone to computer with the USB cable. The software will automatically detect your iPhone and show the libraries of your iPhone in the left sidebar.
Step 2. Select Files to Back Up
Set backing up music as an example. Click "Music" in the left sidebar and the music files in your iPhone will show in the right part. If you want to back up all the music files, click the transfer button (right arrow in a dark blue rectangle); If you want to back up certain files, hold "Ctrl" key and click to choose files, then right-click the chosen files and choose "Transfer to > My Computer".
Step 3. Transfer Settings
After choosing files, you will get to the dialog of transfer settings. Check "Save to Folder" and click "Change" to select a folder to save the backups. Click "Transfer Now" at the right bottom in the dialog to start backing up iPhone.
Step 4. Backing up iPhone to Computer
The transfer starts immediately after choosing folder. A dialog of transfer process shows up, and the progress bar in it shows the percentage of the transfer. When the transfer is done, you will get the files in your target folder.
You are also able to transfer files from iPhone to iTunes after reinstalling it. In Step 3, you can check "Transfer to List: iTunes" and then the files can be transferred to iTunes.
Leawo iTransfer is helpful for the data transfers of iPhone, iPad and iPod. You can rely on this software to transfer files between iOS devices without sync, for example, transferring apps from iPhone to iPad. Check Leawo iTransfer out if you are in need.