Question 1: “How do I get VLC to show up in popcorn time? I've tried reinstalling popcorn time but it still isn't there. I find I usually get badly synced audio when I stream with butter.”
Question 2: “Is it possible to play popcorn time via VLC player? Has anybody been able to accomplish this?”
Popcorn Time is a multi-platform, free software BitTorrent client that includes an integrated media player. The application provides a free alternative to subscription-based video streaming services such as Netflix. Popcorn Time uses sequential downloading to stream video listed by several torrent websites, and third-party trackers can also be added manually. The legality of the software depends on the jurisdiction. Generally speaking, if you have VLC media player installed, VLC media player would show as a media player option in Popcorn Time app. But some people have reported that VLC not playing on Popcorn Time. How could this happen? How can you watch Popcorn Time on VLC media player? You will get a solution here.
Part 1: How to watch PopcornTime on VLC?
You could directly choose to use VLC media player to play Popcorn Time movies or streamings on your computer when you have installed VLC media player and Popcorn Time on your computer.
The below steps would show you how to play and watch Popcorn Time videos or streamings on VLC media player:
- Make sure you have downloaded and installed both Popcorn Time and VLC media player on your computer.
- Launch Popcorn Time client on your computer.
- On the main interface, find the target movie, and then double click the movie you want to play back.
- Popcorn Time will start to load target video. It will play back loaded movie after loading completes.
- On your computer, launch VLC media player and then click the “Media > Stream…” option on the menu bar.
- On the “Open Media” window, click the “+Add” button. And then navigate to the loaded movie in Popcorn Time folder for loading it to VLC media player.
- Once you find target Popcorn Time loaded video, check it and click the “Open” button.
- Then, follow the on-screen instructions to proceed.
- Then, the Popcorn Time video will appear in VLC media player.
You could then freely play back Popcorn Time video in VLC.
Part 2. VLC Not Playing on Popcorn Time, How to Fix?
Sometimes, VLC media player might not play Popcorn Time movies or videos for you. How to fix this problem? Actually, there are 4 effective solutions for you to turn to. Check them below.
Solution 1: Download and Install VLC in the Default Location
- For Windows users, the default VLC app installation folder is C:\Program Files.
- For macOS users, VLC player should be installed in the /Applications location.
Solution 2: Adjust VLC Settings
You could also adjsut the VLC media player settings to make it run on Popcorn Time video playback:
- Kick off VLC media player.
- Click "Tools > Preferences” tab.
- Tap "Video > Output” option and then open the drop-down options.
- Choose "Automatic > Save” button successively.
- Close and exit VLC media player and then relaunch it.
Solution 3: Load Popcorn Time Movies to VLC
You could also manually load Popcorn Time videos to VLC media player for playback:
- Open Popcorn Time, choose a desired movie you wanna watch and tap "Watch Now" to play it. Don't choose any external video player.
- After the Popcorn Time movie gets smooth playback, run VLC video player.
- In VLC, click "Media" > Open File > Downloads > Popcorn Time > tap "Preload" file folder > open the folder with the specific date > select the Popcorn Time movie you're playing.
Now, this movie is switching to VLC for playback. Make sure your VLC is version 3.0.8 or above.
If you have tried all the above methods to fix VLC can’t play Popcorn Time videos issue but have no effective and satisfactory result, you could try to convert downloaded Popcorn Time movies to VLC media player compatible videos, which could 100% guarantee the successful playback on VLC media player. The below part would show you the best Popcorn Time video converter to help you do this.
Part 3. Convert Downloaded Popcorn Time Movies to VLC with Leawo Prof. Media
As mentioned above, you could try to convert downloaded Popcorn Time videos to VLC media player compatible videos for playback on VLC media player and other players you like.
Leawo Prof. Media is the best tool we would like to recommend to you for converting downloaded Popcorn Time videos to VLC media player compatible videos. Featuring a video converter inside, Leawo Prof. Media enables you to convert video and audio files between 200+ file formats like MP4, AVI, FLV, MOV, MKV, WMV, etc. for various media players and devices. You could adjust the video and audio parameters of output profile, including video codec, bit rate, aspect ratio, frame rate, resolution, audio codec, channel, etc. It even enables you to edit video files so as to make your videos your own patent.
The below guide would show you how to use Leawo Prof. Media to convert downloaded Popcorn Time videos to VLC media player compatible videos.
Step 1. Download Leawo Prof. Media and install it
Download and install Leawo Prof. Media on your computer. Launch Leawo Prof. Media after the installation. Meanwhile, get downloaded Popcorn videos ready for converting. Leawo Prof. Media also provides you online video downloader to download online videos.
Leawo Prof. Media
☉ Decrypt, rip and convert Blu-ray/DVD to video/audio files.
☉ Convert and burn videos files to Blu-ray/DVD content.
☉ Download videos from YouTube, Facebook, VEVO, and 1000+ other video sites.
☉ Edit Blu-ray/DVD/video files to trim, crop, adjust effect, apply 3D effect, etc.
☉ Remove Cinavia protection upon Blu-ray discs
☉ Play back various media files including Blu-ray, DVD, video, audio files.
Step 2. Import source Popcorn Time video files
Go to the “Convert” module to click either “Add Video” button at the top left of program interface for loading downloaded Popcorn Time videos. Alternatively, you could just drag the downloaded Popcorn Time video file directly to the main interface for loading.
Step 3. Choose output format
Click the box next to “Add Photo” button to pop up a small panel, and then click the “Change” option to enter the Profile panel, where you need to select a format according to VLC media player as output format, such as MP4 Video from “Format > Common Video” group.
If you need, you could adjust the parameters of selected profile to meet your devices more. To do this, click the “Edit” button to enter the Profile Settings panel, where you could adjust video codec, bit rate, aspect ratio, frame rate, audio codec, etc. Change these parameters according to your media player and device specifications.
Note: You could also edit loaded Popcorn Time video files like trimming, cropping, adjusting effect, adding watermark, applying 3D effect, removing noise, etc. Check how to edit video for detail.
Step 4: Set output directory
Click the green icon “Convert” button. And then on the sidebar, set an output directory in the “Save to” box. Choose a disk that has enough space.
After that, click the bottom “Convert” button on the sidebar to start converting Popcorn Time video files for VLC media player. When the conversion completes, you could then freely import the converted Popcorn Time video files to VLC media player for unlimited playback.
Actually, as a professional multimedia converter solution suite, Leawo Prof. Media handles nearly all media conversions between Blu-ray, DVD, video, audio, image and even online videos. With Leawo Prof. Media, you can:
- Play back various media files like Blu-ray, DVD, video, audio, and even ISO image files, just like a region-free media player.
- Decrypt, rip and convert Blu-ray/DVD to video/audio files in 200+ file formats for various media players and devices.
- Convert video and audio files between various formats for various uses.
- Convert and burn videos files to Blu-ray/DVD content, and even burn image files to Blu-ray/DVD photo slideshow easily.
- Decrypt, copy and backup Blu-ray/DVD content to blank disc or computer hard drive.
- Download videos from YouTube, Facebook, Veoh, VEVO, and 1000+ other video sites.
- Turn photos into photo slideshow video for saving in various formats.
- Edit Blu-ray/DVD/video files to trim, crop, add watermark, adjust effect, apply 3D effect, etc.
- Choose disc menu for DVD/Blu-ray burning, and even design disc menu with preferred items.
There are also other wonderful features Leawo Prof. Media offers, such as the video merging feature, screenshot taking, subtitles selecting and adding, audio tracks selecting, parameters adjusting, etc. As an all-inclusive media converter suite, Leawo Prof. Media provides you nearly all media solutions you need for digital entertainment.
Part 4. Conclusion
Popcorn Time is a wonderful way to enjoy online videos and streams. You could get multiple solutions to help you solve the issue of VLC can’t play Popcorn Time videos. You could try to adjust the VLC media player and Popcorn Time settings, or turn to Popcorn Time video converter tools according to your own needs.