"Dear editor, I love watching Blu-ray movies for its amazing visual experience and audit quality. As for me, purchasing Blu-ray discs can be a heavy financial burden since my income is much limited. Therefore, I usually borrow them from friends or rent them from shops. When I watch a great movie, I will desire to keep in my collection and copy the movie on the Blu-ray disc to my hard drive. Would you please introduce me ways to do it? Thanks a lot."
If you happen to have the same question, you're coming to the right place. As a matter of fact, there are so many ways to satisfy your desire. You can rip a Blu-ray disc, copy a Blu-ray disc or convert Blu-ray to MKV video files. People may have various needs towards such issue. Some of them would like to rip Blu-ray movies into popular formats so that they are able to load the movies to portable devices like iPods or smartphones. Some may prefer to keep the original format so as to burn Blu-ray to another blank disc someday. Others may hope to convert the movies in a lossless way. Hereafter, this post offers 3 effective apps to help you copy and backup Blu-ray to hard drive. You are free to choose the most suitable one according to your own circumstance.
- Part 1: Things you need for Blu-ray backup
- Part 2: Back up Blu-ray to hard drive with Leawo Blu-ray Ripper
- Part 3: Back up Blu-ray onto hard drive with Leawo Blu-ray Copy
- Part 4: Back up Blu-ray to hard drive with WinX Blu-ray Decrypter
- Part 5: Blu-ray Ripper vs. Blu-ray Copy vs. WinX Blu-ray Decrypter
Part 1: Things you need for Blu-ray backup
To begin with, you need firstly make sure you have the below things prepared to back up Blu-ray to hard drive.
- A Blu-ray drive: The must-have thing you need to copy Blu-ray discs to hard drive or copy ISO image file onto a blank disc. There’re various Blu-ray drives available online. You could purchase one from Amazon or other online stores if you don’t have one. If you want to copy and backup ISO image file onto a blank Blu-ray disc, you need to get a BD-RE (Re-recordable) drive.
- A Blu-ray backup tool: Currently no computer is preset with a Blu-ray drive and Blu-ray backup tool. That’s why you need a Blu-ray backup tool, just like the ones mentioned below. A powerful Blu-ray backup software app makes it half done for backup Blu-ray to PC or blank disc.
- Blu-ray movie source: Of course, you need to prepare the source Blu-ray movies for backup, a Blu-ray movie disc, Blu-ray movie folder, or even Blu-ray ISO image file.
- Anyplace with at least 30G free space storage: Depending on what you’re about to get, you should make sure there’s enough space, either hard drive or blank disc. Blu-Rays are big in content storage. To get high quality backup of source Blu-ray movies, higher storage is required. You need to select a proper drive or prepare a big blank Blu-ray disc for saving the final backup, or make use of an external hard drive if your computer is running out of storage.
- Internet connection: Make sure that your computer is well connected to the Internet as some Blu-ray discs are encrypted while you need to connect the Internet to remove Blu-ray disc protection and back up Blu-ray disc.
With all these things well prepared, you could then start to make use of the below Blu-ray to computer hard drive tools to back up your Blu-ray movies to computer hard drive easily. We will share 3 different Blu-ray backup tools with you. Just choose the one you like most.
Part 2: Back up Blu-ray to hard drive with Leawo Blu-ray Copy
Leawo Blu-ray Copy is the best Blu-ray copy software to copy & shrink Blu-ray to Blu-ray/DVD discs or hard drive for convenient Blu-ray content saving and playback. As a powerful Blu-ray to DVD Converter, it allows you to shrink Blu-ray content from various origins to the formats of DVD-5/9, file folder, ISO image and even 1:1 disc duplication, also support burn ISO file to Blu-ray or DVD disc without quality loss. With advanced Blu-ray copy and replication technology, it can copy 3D Blu-ray with original realistic 3D effect kept. Besides clone Blu-ray content, this Blu-ray copier enables you to preview source content, select subtitles and audio tracks, create ISO image, etc.
How to Copy Blu-ray Disc and Folder with Leawo Blu-ray Copy:
- Download, install and run Leawo Blu-ray Copy.
- Insert source Blu-ray disc into Blu-ray recorder drive, or get source Blu-ray movie folder ready for backup.
- Internet connection is required.
- Enough hard drive space.
Then you should follow these steps below:
Step 1. Kick off Leawo Prof. Media. Enter the “Copy” module. Click "Add Blu-ray/DVD" button to import source Blu-ray disc or folder for backup.
Step 2. Choose copy mode and set output disc type at the bottom left corner. You could also choose subtitles and audio tracks here.
Step 3. Click the big green "Copy" button. Set "Copy to", "Disc Label" and "Save to" options. To back up Blu-ray to hard drive, choose “Folder” option under “Copy to”.
Step 4. Click "Copy" button to start copying Blu-ray to hard drive.
Note: Leawo Blu-ray Copy offers 3 different copy modes for you to back up Blu-ray to hard drive: Full Mode is for copying contents of the whole disc, Main Movie is for Movie-only backup, and Custom Mode allows you to choose whatever chapters of video content in the disc to copy. Meanwhile, the disc protection removal and region restriction breaking happen in the background.
Part 3: Back up Blu-ray onto hard drive with Leawo Blu-ray Ripper
Leawo Blu-ray Ripper is a professional Blu-ray ripping and converting program to decrypt, convert Blu-ray/DVD movies to videos, and back up Blu-ray to DVD disc. This Blu-ray Ripper could convert Blu-ray/DVD to video in various formats, like MKV, MP4, MOV, etc. The video files after conversion could be played on various popular media players, like Apple media devices, Android smartphones, tablets, Windows phones, and blackberry smartphones, etc. With its video editing features, you can also customize your Blu-ray/DVD files to make the converted files your own patent. 2D to 3D conversion could also be realized via this Blu-ray Ripper. You can freely rip Blu-ray and DVD disc to 3D videos for playback on various 3D players.
How to Rip Blu-ray to Hard Drive with Leawo Blu-ray Ripper:
Step 1. Launch Leawo Prof. Media. Enter the “Convert” module, and then click the "Add Blu-ray/DVD" button to add Blu-ray disc or Blu-ray movie folder.
Step 2. Click the drop-down box before big green "Convert" button and then select "Change" option to select an output profile from “Format” or “Device” group.
Step 3. Click the big green "Convert" button. On the pop-up sidebar, set the "Save to" option as output directory.
Step 4. Click the bottom "Convert" button on the sidebar to start converting Blu-ray to hard drive.
- You could change the output profile parameters like video codec, audio codec, bit rate, aspect ratio, frame rate, resolution, etc.
- With Leawo Blu-ray Ripper, you could even edit source Blu-ray movies before converting to hard drive, like: trim video length, crop video size, add image or text watermark, apply 3D effect, etc.
- Leawo Blu-ray Ripper helps you convert Blu-ray to video in 180+ formats, like MP4, AVI, FLV, MKV, MOV, WMV, M4V, etc.
Part 4: Back up Blu-ray to hard drive with WinX Blu-ray Decrypter
WinX Blu-ray Decrypter is a professional Blu-ray decrypting and copy tool for users to decrypt and backup Blu-ray to M2TS video file or Blu-ray folder (compatible with Win7 Media Player). It is able to remove and decrypt encryption (AACS MKB v25), BD+ copy protection, etc. in Blu-ray disc. With this program, you can effortlessly protect your beloved Blu-ray discs from scratch or loss.
WinX Blu-ray Decrypter is an ideal Blu-ray backup solution which supports both Full Disc Blu-ray Backup and Title Copy modes. It allows you to decrypt Blu-ray Disc with all known copy protections and encryptions and backup 3D Blu-ray to 2D video in only 3 clicks. It also brings high decrypting speed while preserving original video/audio quality.
The below steps would show you how to back up Blu-ray to hard drive with WinX Blu-ray Decrypter.
- Download and install WinX Blu-ray Decrypter on your computer. Get source Blu-ray disc/file ready for backup.
- Insert Blu-ray disc into the Blu-ray drive and then launch WinX Blu-ray Decrypter.
- On the main interface, click the “Load BD” to browse and load Blu-ray disc from drive.
- You could then choose titles for backup.
- On the right, set output directory in the “Output Path” box.
- Choose backup mode from “Full Disc Mode” and “Title Mode” options.
- Finally, click the “Run” button to start to back up Blu-ray to hard drive.
WinX Blu-ray Decrypter is a wonderful tool for you to back up Blu-ray to hard drive. However, the company has discontinued this program for long. Therefore you won’t get it upgraded, which means some of the new Blu-ray discs might not be fully supported by this program due to the renew of disc protection technologies.
Part 5: Blu-ray Ripper vs. Blu-ray Copy vs. WinX Blu-ray Decrypter
WinX Blu-ray Decrypter
|Remove disc protection
|Remove disc region code
|Copy Blu-ray/DVD disc
|Copy Blu-ray/DVD folder
|Copy Blu-ray/DVD ISO image file
|Convert Blu-ray/DVD disc
|Convert Blu-ray/DVD folder
|Convert Blu-ray/DVD to video
|180+ video and audio formats
M2TS video only
|Trim video length
|Crop video size
|Add image or text watermark
|Change video effect
|Convert 2D to 3D
|Copy 3D movies
|Copy/convert full movie
|Copy/convert main movie
|Custom copy mode
|Select audio track
|Play back Blu-ray/DVD
|Shrink BD50 to BD25
|Shrink DVD9 to DVD5
|Copy/convert Blu-ray to DVD
|Copy ISO to disc
|Graphic card acceleration
All these 3 tools could help you easily back up Blu-ray disc to hard drive. Leawo Blu-ray Copy prefers to make no change onto the Blu-ray structure, while Leawo Blu-ray Ripper helps you convert Blu-ray movies to videos in HD/regular video formats so that you could freely watch Blu-ray movies on any media players and devices. WinX Blu-ray Decrypter is actually the combination of Leawo Blu-ray Copy and Leawo Blu-ray Ripper, but the pity is that it’s not valid anymore.