"How to play mkv on mac? Hi guys. I’ve got some mkv files on Mac, and want to play mkv files on mac computer. When I try quicktime, I was told no support of this kind of file. Can you tell me how to play mkv on macbook pro retina? MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion" – By Ziljian on Apple Support Communities.
Many Mac computer users would ask such kind of questions: how to play mkv on mac, is there any free mkv player for mac, quicktime doesn’t play mkv, etc. It should be noted that even though MKV has been a popular format accepted by many players and devices, Apple has not included it into its native support of QuickTime player. Therefore, if you want to play MKV on Mac, you need to make use of other solutions, like 3rd-party Mac MKV player software or MKV player Mac codec pack.
This tutorial would introduce you different ways on how to play MKV on Mac. You could select one according to your personal requirements.
Part 1:Play MKV on Mac with Free MKV Player Mac
Without doubt, to play MKV on Mac, the best way is to adopt a Mac MKV player. Leawo Free MKV Player for Mac becomes your best choice. With no extra codec pack built, this free Mac MKV player could play MKV files on Mac without any quality loss, allowing you to select desired subtitles and audio tracks as you like.
How to play MKV files on Mac with Leawo Free Mac MKV Player
- Click the Mac download link above to download and install this Mac MKV Player freeware on your Mac computer.
- Get source MKV files ready. Start this free Mac MKV player software.
- Drag and drop source MKV files into this free MKV player for Mac. This Mac MKV player would start playing MKV on Mac immediately.
- During playing MKV on Mac, you could right click and then select subtitles and audio tracks from source MKV file freely.
Why Choose Leawo Free MKV Player for Mac
Part 2: Play MKV on Mac with QuickTime by Using Perian
Many Mac users may wonder that whether there is a codec pack for QuickTime to play MKV on Mac, just like that Windows Media Play codec pack or DirectShow Filter Pack for Windows Media Player. The answer is Yes. That is Perian.
Perian was an open source QuickTime component that enabled Apple Inc.’s QuickTime to play several popular video formats not supported natively by QuickTime on Mac OS X. It was a joint development of several earlier open source components based on the multiplatform FFmpeg project’s libavcodec and libavformat, as well as liba52 and libmatroska. It has been mentioned a lot in several big blogs like Lifehacker, Ars Technica and The Unofficial Apple Weblog.
By installing Perian, you could easily play MKV on Mac with QuickTime player, no extra configuration needed. It would automatically enable QuickTime player to recognize and accept several video formats like MKV, WMV, AVI, DivX, etc.
The sad news is that the Perian project managers announced on 15 May 2012 on their website that they are shutting down support for the project. The reason is undeclared. However, in the announcement, they recommended other products, such as Niceplayer, Free Blu-ray Player, VLC or MPlayer OS X. They indicated that Perian’s source code would be posted online for any developer who wanted to continue with the project. One continuation based on the source code is actively maintained but does not support QuickTime for OS X Mavericks or later.
Advisably, you can install QuickTime 7 Pro on newer Mac OS X (Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan) as Perian works flawlessly with QuickTime 7.
Part 3: Play MKV on Mac by Converting MKV to QuickTime MOV
Since QuickTime player accepts videos in MOV and MP4 formats, you could also try to convert MKV to MP4/MOV on Mac for QuickTime player so as to play MKV file on Mac with QuickTime. In this way, you don’t need to install 3rd-party Mac MKV player and plug-in for QuickTime. Meanwhile, through converting, you could not only play MKV file on Mac, but also play MKV on iPad, iPhone, and other portable devices or upload to YouTube and blog for sharing. Leawo Video Converter for Mac could help you easily carry this out. It could perform as a professional Mac MKV to QuickTime converter to convert MKV to QuickTime MOV/MP4 on Mac.
How to Convert MKV to QuickTime MP4/MOV on Mac with Leawo Video Converter for Mac:
- Click the above link to download and install Leawo Video Converter for Mac on your Mac computer. It could run on Mac OS X 10.6 and later versions.
- Launch it. Under the "Convert" tab, click the "Add Video" button to browse and add source MKV files into this MKV to QuickTime converter for Mac.
- Click the drop-down box next to the "Add Photo" button and then select "Change" option to set output audio format. Since you need to play MKV on Mac with QuickTime, you are suggested to select MOV as output format.
- Go back to the main interface and click the big green "Convert" button. Set output directory in the "Save to" box to save output MOV files after converting.
- After that, click the bottom "Convert" button on the sidebar. This Mac MKV to QuickTime converter would start to convert MKV to MOV on Mac immediately.
- When conversion is finished, you could then freely import the converted MKV files into QuickTime player for playback.