Nowadays we can see a wide range of movies on the Internet every day which come from film or individual. There are many different styles, including funny, venturesome, romantic, literary and so on. People want to attract the attention of others with their movies. So there is a problem, how to make your movie attractive? In addition to the selection of movies’ content or subjects, we can add unique subtitles to our own movies which can indicate the author’s own ownership. And we can also add dialogue and edit content for our movies and translate or explicate conversations in movies.
Then, how to add subtitles to a movie? In fact, we can use various tools to make it. By reading through this guidance, you will know some of them and learn some best websites to download video subtitles as well.
Introduction to Common Subtitle Formats
The formats of subtitles are diverse. Among them, the most common 3 subtitle formats are .srt, .vtt and .ssa. Here I would like to make a brief introduction to them.
1. The SubRip caption format is the most common and basic subtitle format, which is also known as the .srt caption format. A large number of online video websites apply the .srt captions, such as YouTube, Vimeo, Wistia and etc.
2. WebVTT captions or .vtt caption format can be used on Vimeo and most of HTML 5 players. It is a bit similar to the .srt captions. This caption has to begin with an introductory line – WEBVTT.
3. SSA is short for Sub Station Alpha, which is applied by a popular subtitle editor, SubStation Alpha. It is widely applied by fansubbers. You can also use it to set several advanced display features, such as positioning, karaoke, style management and etc. It is also one text based subtitle format with a particular syntax.
Solution 1: Add Subtitle with Leawo Prof. Media
Leawo Prof. Media‘s interface is clear and it has many functions, and it provides users a way to add captions to a movie. This software is for video lovers to convert video and audio files. It could even convert 2D video to 3D to let you get homemade 3D movie experience. This software has many other functions. So how to use this software to add subtitles? Please scroll down for the details.
Step 1: Kick off Leawo Prof. Media
Launch the program and you will see eight different modules on the main interface.
Step 2: Enter Video Converter Mode
You can easily find the button “Video Converter” and click it, then you go to the “Convert” page.
Step 3: Add Videos
Click on the button of “Add Video” and then hit on “Add Video” or “Add Video Folder” from the drop-down menu to locate the video file in your computer to import it to the software screen. You can also directly drag the video file to the program interface.
Step 4: Add Subtitles
When the video is loaded in the program, you can click on the option of “Subtitle” to choose “Add Subtitles” option to locate the subtitle file on your computer. Hit on the green “Convert” button in the window to begin to add the chosen subtitles to the imported video immediately.
Solution 2: Add Subtitle with Leawo Blu-ray Player
Leawo Blu-ray Player is very easy to use. As a multipurpose media player software program, Leawo Blu-ray Player provides comprehensive solutions for you to play back Blu-ray, DVD, ISO files, common video, HD video and audio files on Windows PC smoothly. It could play back all Blu-ray and DVD discs in the market from various movie studios, even they are just released. What is more, it is a totally free DVD player, video player and audio player combo. It could play videos of up to 1080P in HD MP4, HD AVI, HD MOV, HD TS, etc. and audios in AAC, AC3, MP3, M4A, etc. It even supports to play back DTS-5.1 audio. It can also help people add subtitles on movies.
Step 1: Run Leawo Blu-ray Player and Choose Video
Open Leawo Blu-ray Player on your computer and then click “Open File” button in the interface. The chosen video will be loaded to the software right away.
Step 2: Call Out Subtitles Menu
Right-click anywhere on the interface and then choose “Subtitles” option from the pop-up panel.
Step 3: Enable Subtitles
After you enter “Subtitles-Settings” page and you need to check the option of “Enable subtitles” to continue.
Step 4: Select Subtitle File
Choose “Browse for subtitles”, and then you can browse the subtitle file you want to add from your computer local folder.
Or you can also click “Player Settings” and then “Subtitles” to do so.
Solution 3: Add Subtitle with VLC
The VLC media player is one excellent tool for smart video consumers and even a lot of professionals. This program is very stable and simple to handle. You can use it to play almost any format video smoothly. It is without any configuration hassle. It can run very well, which allows users to do many tasks related to videos like subtitling videos. Check out this part and you will learn the way to use VLC to add subtitle to video file easily.
1. Kick off VLC media player on your computer and then click on the menu button of “Media” in the top toolbar.
2. Choose the option of “Open File…” to hit on to choose the video file on your computer local folder.
3. When the video file is opened by VLC, you can right-click on anywhere to bring out a panel. Hit on “Subtitle> Open File…” successively to locate the subtitle file that you desire to add to the video.
Thus, you can watch the video with the specific subtitle at ease with VLC media player.
Solution 4: Add Subtitle with Handbrake
To add subtitle to a movie or any video can help you to understand the video much better. Here is an easy-to-use program for you to add subtitles: Handbrake. Before you use this software, you need to make sure you have downloaded proper subtitle file to your computer location. Follow me to read the step-by-step instructions shown below to finish this task simply with Handbrake.
1. Fire up Handbrake on your computer and then click on the “Source” button to add the video that you desire to add subtitle.
2. Click on the “Subtitles” tab in the interface to import your downloaded subtitle file.
3. After that, you can choose the output format from the right side screen. Click on the “Browse” button in the interface to set a target folder for the encoded video file.
4. When you complete all settings, you can hit on the green “Start” button to begin the encoding process. After a while, the video with subtitles will be available in the folder that you have just set.
Bonus Tip: Top 5 Websites to Download Video Subtitles
Video subtitles can benefit a lot. For instance, you can use them to learn a foreign language. Your listening skills and vocabulary amount can be improved by watching videos with a foreign language. There are various websites for you to download proper video subtitles, and here I would like to list 5 of them for you to check out.
Subscene can allow you to get subtitles quickly, which is always up-to-date with subtitles for the latest movies and TV episodes. The interface of this website is simple and straightforward. You only need to type the name of the show or movie that you desire to add subtitles in the search bar and choose the right one from the listed results.
2. YIFY Subtitles
You can obtain the subtitles you need via the release names of the video. It is quite convenient for you to make use of to find proper subtitle files.
OpenSubtitles has won a place among subtitles websites. Its sources are very big, which is available in multiple languages. It is possible for you to find all subtitles you are looking for a movie, an episode of the TV series and etc.
This website is worth trying for you to get the suitable subtitles for the latest TV show or TV series. The database of this website is quite huge and the downloaded subtitles will be saved as zip files. You only need to unpack them before enjoying your videos.
The subtitles on this website are totally free. You can also create your own subtitles and share them via this website with others.
As described above, the 4 programs all support to add subtitles to a movie. Leawo Prof. Media has more advantages because its operation interface looks comfortable and attractive, and the function module of it is easier to distinguish. The interface color contributes to eyesight protect. Second, it is more convenient to use. Third, its speed is much faster and it is more comprehensive. But anyway, among the recommended 4 tools, both Leawo Prof. Media and Leawo Blu-ray Player are professional programs that you can definitely use to add subtitles to your movie. You can also go to the listed websites to download the subtitles you need to add to your video files easily.