“Do you have any idea on downloading HLS videos? I need to download some music concert living streams but have no idea to do this. What should I use? How can I download online video live streaming? Please help me with this.”
Online video streaming actually means HTTP Live Streaming (also known as HLS), an HTTP-based adaptive bitrate streaming communications protocol. HLS resembles MPEG-DASH in that it works by breaking the overall stream into a sequence of small HTTP-based file downloads, each downloading one short chunk of an overall potentially unbounded transport stream. A list of available streams, encoded at different bit rates, is sent to the client using an extended M3U playlist. You could get an M3U8 URL of each HLS video. Actually, to download online video streams is actually to download M3U8 video.
Well, in this guide, we would like to show you some effective solutions to help you download M3U8 videos with VLC media player and other tools. Of course, you could also get the best online video downloader option here.
Part 1: How to Download M3U8 with VLC
VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. Actually, besides the most well-known media playback feature, VLC media player also has multiple hidden features, like editing, converting, etc. Downloading M3U8 videos within VLC media player has been a wonderful feature.
VLC media player comes with an internal video downloader and converter that could download M3U8 videos and convert M3U8 videos to MP4 or other video file formats for you. How does VLC download M3U8 video? Just check the below guide:
- Download and install the latest version of VLC media player.
- Open VLC media player.
- Click on “MEDIA” option on the menu bar.
- Click on “Open Network Stream” option on the drop-down menu.
- On the "Open Media" interface, open the "Network" tab.
- Paste the M3U8 file address you get from the Http Live Stream page into the blank bar.
- Then, click the inverted triangle button next to the "Play" button at the bottom right corner.
- Choose the "Convert" option on the drop-down menu.
- On the newly pop-up "Convert" interface, in the "Settings" part, choose MP4 profile as output format in the "Profile" drop-down panel. If you need, you could click the wrench icon to adjust the video and audio parameters of output MP4 file.
- Then, click the "Browse" button in the "Destination file" section to set an download directoy.
- After setting output directory, click the "Start" button to download downloading M3U8 video and converting M3U8 video to MP4 files within VLC media player.
Then you will see the whole download process. When the downloading completes, you will get M3U8 videos downloaded and converted to MP4 file, saved in the folder you have set above.
Now, you have successfully downloaded M3U8 videos within VLC media player. Just play it back on your computer with your local computer media player software.
Part 2: Download M3U8 Online
Besides VLC media player, there are also other tools to help you download M3U8 videos. For example, you could choose to download M3U8 videos online with online M3U8 video downloader tools. AnyConv.com is an exactly such online M3U8 video downloader tool for you to download M3U8 videos online. What you need are only Internet connection and M3U8 file. It could even help you directly convert M3U8 file to MP4 online.
Want to download M3U8 online with this online M3U8 downloader? Check the below steps:
- Make sure you have generated a M3U8 file on your local drive.
- Open your browser and go to the website: https://anyconv.com/m3u8-to-mp4-converter/
- Click the “CHOOSE FILE” option to browse and upload M3U8 file from your local drive. M3U8 file size can be up to 50 Mb.
- After uploading, click "Convert" button to start downloading M3U8 video and converting M3U8 video to MP4 file.
- When the conversion process is complete, you can download the MP4 file.
In this way, you could easily download and convert M3U8 file to MP4 files. When the downloading and converting completes, you could then freely play back the downloaded M3U8 video files on your computer.