Many Blu-ray movie fans met problems during 3D Blu-ray backup. Some may found they couldn’t copy 3D Blu-ray movies, while some others found that the final copied 3D Blu-ray movies had no 3D effect, only in 2D. Actually, it’s quite different to copy 3D Blu-ray movies from that of 2D Blu-ray movie backup. There’re multiple things that should be paid attention to during 3D Blu-ray to HDD or 3D Blu-ray disc to disc backup. This post would introduce what 3D Blu-ray is, detailed solution on how to copy 3D Blu-ray movies, as well as some useful tips/FAQs during 3D Blu-ray movie backup.
About Blu-ray 3D
- 1. What is Blu-ray 3D?
- In December 2009, the Blu-ray Disc™ Association (BDA) finalized the specification for 3D content on Blu-ray Disc™. BD 3D delivers full HD 1080p resolution to each eye, regardless of whether that display uses LCD, plasma, or LED technology. With 3D on Blu-ray, each eye gets its own 1,920×1,080-pixel image. These 2 images are combined into one extra-tall frame.
- 2. What to use to watch 3D Blu-ray movies at home?
- To watch 3D Blu-ray movies at home, you need a 3D TV (BD 3D compatible screen with higher refresh rates and IR transmitters, and 3D glasses), 3D–compatible Blu-ray Disc player, and 3D movies in Blu-ray disc.
- 3. What kind of video file is used for 3D Blu-ray?
- The Blu-ray Disc Association has chosen the Multiview Video Coding (MVC) codec to store 3D, so that even though it provides a full 1080p frame for each eye, it will only require about 50% more storage space compared to the 2D version, and all 3D discs will be fully backward compatible, in 2D, on existing players.
- 4. Do I need to shoot stereoscopic video to create Blu-ray 3D?
- You can create original content in stereoscopic 3D, or you can add the 3D effect to 2D video by creating an offset image in post-production.
- 5. How do I author a 3D Blu-ray Disc?
- Sony Creative Software’s DoStudio and Blu-print, and Leawo Software’s Blu-ray Creator have support for 3D authoring.
- 6. Are Blu-ray Disc menus in 3D?
- The BDA defines a specification for 3D menus in HDMV mode and BD-J.
How to Copy and Backup 3D Blu-ray Disc with Blu-ray Copy
As mentioned above, to make 1:1 Blu-ray copy, Blu-ray backup software is a must-have. It would be better that the Blu-ray backup software decrypts Blu-ray discs as there might be encrypted Blu-ray discs to backup. Download Leawo Blu-ray Copy and install it on your computer. Then check the below guide to learn how to copy disc to disc without quality loss.
☉ 1:1 Copy Blu-ray & DVD Movies in forms of Disc, Folder, and ISO Image file
☉ Copy with 6X higher speed without quality loss.
☉ Remove disc protection such as AACS, BD+, MKB, CSS and region restriction.
☉ Support Backup of BD50, BD25, DVD-9 and DVD-5
☉ Keeping all elements including 3D effect, video dot frame, subtitle, audio channel, etc.
Insert original 3D Blu-ray disc into the Blu-ray recorder drive on your computer and then launch Leawo Blu-ray Copy. Follow the below steps to learn how to copy 3D Blu-ray movies with this 3D Blu-ray copy software.
Step 1: Add original 3D Blu-ray disc
Click the "Add Blu-ray/DVD" button to browse and add the original 3D Blu-ray disc you’ve inserted into the Blu-ray recorder drive. You could also click the inverted drop-down triangle arrow to directly add original 3D Blu-ray disc from Blu-ray drive. After adding 3D Blu-ray disc, select "Full Movie" option on the left processing list.
Step 2: Finish Blu-ray copy settings
Click the big green “Copy” button to set “Copy to”, “Disc Label” and “Save to” options. To copy 3D Blu-ray disc to another blank Blu-ray disc, insert a blank writable Blu-ray disc into another Blu-ray recorder drive of your computer and then select it as target under “Copy to” option. If you only get one Blu-ray drive, you need firstly to backup 3D Blu-ray disc to an ISO file by selecting “ISO File” option under “Copy to”, and then copy the generated ISO file onto target blank Blu-ray disc.
Step 3: Start copying 3D Blu-ray disc
After the above settings, click the bottom “Copy” button to start copying 3D Blu-ray disc.
Most people only get one Blu-ray recorder drive on their computer. Thus, direct Blu-ray disc to disc duplication is not supported (as it requires at least 2 Blu-ray drives: one for inserting original Blu-ray disc and the other for target blank Blu-ray disc). Hence, to copy 3D Blu-ray disc to another blank disc is actually carried out in this way: copy Blu-ray disc to ISO file, then burn generated ISO file onto blank Blu-ray disc. By following the above steps, you could create ISO image file of 3D Blu-ray disc. After ISO file generating, launch Leawo Blu-ray Copy to burn generated ISO image file onto a blank Blu-ray disc.
Step 4: Burn ISO file to Blu-ray disc
Pop out the original 3D Blu-ray disc, and then insert your blank writable 3D Blu-ray disc into the drive. Click the inverted triangle drop-down arrow and then select “Add iso file” to add the ISO file you just generated. Fill the burning settings on the “Add iso file” window and then click the “Burn” button to start burning generated ISO file to Blu-ray disc.
How to backup 3D Blu-ray disc with Blu-ray Ripper
Leawo Blu-ray Ripper is an excellent software program to get Blu-ray disc ripped and converted to video in different formats, besides that, the audio also can be extracted off Blu-ray and saved in kinds of formats available on all media players and devices. What’s more, it also acts well in converting DVD to video, so Leawo Blu-ray is an integrated Blu-ray and DVD ripper tool to deal with the conversion of Blu-ray and DVD. Multi-angle Blu-ray and DVD disc are supported by it. Blu-ray and DVD can be ripped and converted into the formats like MP4, MKV, AVI, WMV and more. The audio can be saved in to the formats including MP3, AAC, FLAC and so on.
The biggest advantage of Leawo Blu-ray ripper is that it can rip and convert Blu-ray and DVD into any format, regardless of the disc coming with protection, region and movie studios limited.
Now let’s go ahead and have a look at how to backup 3D Blu-ray disc to MKV format with Blu-ray ripper.
Step 1. Run Leawo Blu-ray Ripper and then go to home page of the software, in which you should press on the button “Convert” from the sub-menu to go into converting interface. Alternatively, you can click on the button “ Blu-ray/DVD Ripper” from the middle part to enter converting interface as well.
Step 2. Import 3D Blu-ray files to the software. Click on “Add Blu-ray/DVD” button from the converting interface to get 3D Blu-ray files imported. You also can drag and drop 3D Blu-ray files source into this converting interface.
After choosing the content for importing to the software, you will see three options to get the 3D Blu-ray files imported, which includes Full Movie, Main Movie and Custom Mode. Choose one option and titles as you need, then click on “OK” button to begin importing 3D Blu-ray files.
Step 3. Select the output profile. You can see a drop-down box with the name of “MP4 Video” next to the button “Add Photo” from the sub menu. Click on this drop-down box and you will see a small pop-pup panel, in which you should click the button “Change” to go into the “Profile” panel. Here you need to choose video format as the output profile below the “Format” group.
You can select kinds of formats like 4k MP4, HD MP4, MOV, 4K MKV and more as the output 3D profile. You also can find the output format as you need via the quick searching toolbar from the left part. As we need to backup 3D Blu-ray to MKV format, we have to choose MKV for the output profile.
Step 4. [Optional] If you want to get the video parameters which includes Video Codec, Bit Rate, Resolution and more changed. You can click on the same drop-down box to go into Profile Settings interface. Then click on “Edit” button next to “Change” button. Once you have set the parameters, click on the button “Save to Custom” to get customized profile added to the “Custom” group.
Step 5. Once the profile has been set, you can go back to the converting interface, where you should click on the green button “Convert” to choose an output directory to save the output video files. When the green button “Convert” have been clicked, you can choose a location below the option “Save to” to save the output video files from the pop-up sidebar.
Step 6. Press on “Convert” button from the bottom of the left sidebar to begin converting. You also can pause the process by clicking to “Cancel” button during the converting process.
Tips for 3D Blu-ray Copy
- 1. No 3D Blu-ray folder.
- During 3D Blu-ray backup, it’s not recommended for you to create 3D Blu-ray folder on HDD as the 3D effect would be invalid in 3D Blu-ray folder.
- 2. Copy 3D Blu-ray disc to BD-25 disc?
- As long as the source 3D Blu-ray disc is BD25 disc, you could store and backup the 3D BD25 disc onto a blank writable BD25 disc.
- 3. What is the 3D Blu-ray copy workflow?
- The 3D Blu-ray backup gets 2 kinds of workflow. The first workflow is to directly copy 3D Blu-ray disc onto another blank writable 3D Blu-ray disc. While the other one is to firstly create an ISO image file of original 3D Blu-ray disc, and then burn the generated ISO image file onto blank writable Blu-ray disc. Currently, most 3D Blu-ray backup software apps adopt the latter one.
- 4. How to play back 3D Blu-ray ISO file?
- Different from 2D Blu-ray ISO file, you couldn’t decompress the 3D Blu-ray ISO file as it would result in 3D effect loss. Directly make use of 3D Blu-ray media player software to play back 3D Blu-ray ISO image files.