iTunes has a firm structure of the whole running system. If an installation for iTunes is deleted or changed, the software will not function properly. At this moment, you will have to remove iTunes and related components, and then reinstall iTunes. Some Apple product users overuse iTunes reinstallation as a troubleshooter, however, if once reinstallation doesn't fix the problems you meet with, there is no use to reinstall iTunes for multiple times.
Part 1. Backup Music Before Uninstalling and Reinstalling iTunes
Before reinstalling iTunes, you will have to remove iTunes and related components. Normally speaking, the music files in your iTunes will be saved in the C: > User > Administrator > My Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music, and those files won't be deleted when removing iTunes. But sometimes the libraries of iTunes are deleted when uninstalling iTunes, and it is because the users do the uninstallation with wrong methods. So it is necessary for users to back up the libraries to computer before the reinstallation of iTunes, and that will ensure the Music won't be lost during the uninstallation of iTunes.
To back up the Music files in iTunes, you can get help from an iTunes companion called Leawo iTransfer. This software can be used for transferring files among iOS devices, iTunes and PCs. The software is very easy to use and the transfer will be accomplished within seconds. In order to back up the music files, you will need to use an iOS device, iPhone for example, to help you to finish the backup process.
Tips: Leawo iTransfer only works with iTunes installed on your PC.
Backup iTunes Music Library to Computer
Step 2. Select music files to back up them to computer. Click the transfer button (right arrow in a dark blue rectangle) to transfer all music files to computer. Or hold Ctrl key and click to choose certain files. You can use the smart filter function of the software to find the music files you want to transfer.
Step 3. After choosing files, a dialog of transfer settings comes out. Check "Save to Folder" and click "Change" to choose a folder to save the music files. Then click "Transfer Now" to start backing up music files to computer.
The music transfer will be finished in very short time. When the music transfer is finished, you can start to remove the iTunes from your computer. The uninstallation of iTunes is also easy to be done. Then you are able to reinstall iTunes and import iTunes backup to new iTunes.
Part 2. Uninstall and Reinstall iTunes without Losing Music
1. Uninstall iTunes and Related Components
- Click Start Menu and choose the Control Panel.
- The Window of Control Panel pops up, then click "Uninstall a Program".
- Find iTunes in the program list and double-click to uninstall. You should uninstall the iTunes related components as well. The order of uninstalling iTunes components should be: 1. QuickTime; 2. Apple Software; Update; 3. Apple Mobile Device Support; 4. Bonjour; 5. Apple Application Support. If these related components are deleted in a different order, it may cause unitended affects.
After uninstalling iTunes, you are able to reinstall a new iTunes on your computer. The steps come as follows:
2. Reinstall iTunes and Import Music to Library
- Go to Apple iTunes Download Web Page and download iTunes installer file. Double-click to download it.
- After downloading the installer file, run it on your computer. Follow the installation process and the iTunes will be installed onto your computer.
Reinstalling iTunes is not hard at all. After installing iTunes on your computer, you are allowed to import the music backups into iTunes. Here come the steps.
3. Import Music Backup into iTunes
- Launch iTunes on your computer, and click "Music" Library. If Music files are already in the Library, congratulations! You didn't lose the music files when removing iTunes. But if the Library is empty, don't worry! You can get the music files back in seconds.
- Click "File" at the upper left corner and choose "Add File to Library" or "Add Folder to Library". Then a window pops up for you to choose files. Find the folder where you put the music files and then import the files into iTunes. Or directly copy and paste the files from computer to iTunes. iTunes will finish the music transfer in seconds.
Done! You can get all music files back after reinstalling iTunes on your computer. Backing up iPhone files to computer is absolutely a good habit, and you can reinstall iTunes without losing music with just some simple clicks if you have backed up the music files with Leawo iTransfer!