"I’ve got a movie in mp4 format on my hard drive. How can I burn this MP4 movie onto a DVD disc for playback on my home DVD player? Or…is this just a waste of time? Or..is there a way to convert the mp4 format into something playable on a DVD player?"
There are many reasons why you might want to burn media files to a disc. For example, if you’re planning a long road trip, you might want to select a mix of favorite songs and then burn these songs to an audio CD or DVD disc so that you can play in your car. In this post, you will learn multiple effective solutions to convert and burn MP4 to DVD disc on Mac and Windows.
Part 1: Brief Introduction
It’s quite easy to burn MP4 to DVD only with the help of DVD burning software. However, it’s important for you to know what kind of source MP4 files and target DVD disc you want to burn, since these things would determine which kind of MP4 to DVD burning software you should adopt. For example, to burn MP4 files to data DVD disc, you could directly use Windows Media Player, which is unable to burn MP4 video to video DVD.
"DVD-Video" is a DVD format playable on DVD players and computers. Commercial and rental DVDs are in DVD-Video format. It is playable on most DVD players for homes and computers. DVD-Video format is recommended if you wish to share your videos on DVDs with families and friends, as the format is playable on most DVD players.
On the other hand, "Data DVD" is a DVD format that stores videos as data files on DVD. Contents on Data DVD can be edited on computers, or extra contents can be added later. Data DVDs can be played on computers. For playing back on a stand alone DVD player, the player needs to support the data format of the DVD. Data DVD format is recommended for PC users who wish to edit videos or add extra data on created DVDs.
Being clear of the purpose of burning MP4 to DVD, you could check the following content to get proper MP4 to DVD burning solutions. It should be noted that for every MP4 to DVD burning, these things should be prepared:
- Blank and writable DVD disc;
- A DVD recorder drive;
- An MP4 to DVD burner program.
Part 2: Burn MP4 to DVD with Windows Media Player
If you’re a Windows user, Windows Media Player will not be a stranger to you. It’s the Window’s defaulted media player which also provides the facility to burn CDs and data DVDs with your DVD burner drive. You can use Windows Media Player to copy music, pictures, and videos on your computer to a blank CD or DVD. This process is called burning. Check the following steps to learn how to burn MP4 to DVD with Windows Media Player.
- Windows Media Player only burns MP4 files to data DVD disc. If you want to burn MP4 movies to video DVD disc for sharing or playback on DVD players, please visit the Part 4 of this post;
- You could also try to burn MP4 to DVD with Windows DVD Maker by checking this post – Convert and Burn AVI to DVD;
Part 3: Burn MP4 to DVD on Mac with iDVD
Apple actually offers several apps for its users to edit videos and burn videos to DVD on Mac, like iMovie, iDVD, Final Cut series, etc. iMovie and Final Cut series are used for video editing, while iDVD is a specialized video to DVD bunring program for all Mac computers. iDVD allows user to add QuickTime Movie, MOV, DV, AVI, MP4 video, MP3, WAV, AIFF audio and digital photos to a DVD for playing on DVD player. The below steps show you how to burn MP4 to DVD on Mac with iDVD.
Steps to burn MP4 to DVD on Mac with iDVD
- Open and run iDVD software on your Mac;
- Click “Create a New Project”, then, name your project and choose right aspect ratio(4:3 or 16:9).
- Choose a DVD menu theme, drag pictures and music into these blank boxes as you like.
- Click “Burn” icon and iDVD will start to burn MP4 to DVD on Mac.
- To burn MP4 to DVD disc on Mac with iDVD, you need to insert a blank writable DVD disc into the disc recorder drive;
- iDVD can only support a few of video formats. If iDVD can’t support your video, please use DVD Maker for Mac to burn MP4 to DVD on Mac (you could see the DVD Maker for Mac guide on burning MP4 to DVD on Mac below).
- iDVD is no longer included in the iLife bundle that came with OS 10.7 Lion and beyond. You need to download iDVD manually from Apple website.
Part 4: Best MP4 to DVD Converter for Mac and PC
While Windows Media Player only creates data DVD disc from MP4 files and iDVD may fail to recognize your MP4 video source, Leawo DVD Creator successfully avoids these shortcomings and becomes the best choice for you to burn MP4 to DVD on Mac and PC. officially known as Leawo Blu-ray Creator, you can easily convert and burn AVCHD to playable DVD disc for playback on your home Blu-ray Disc Player or PS3.
Why Leawo DVD Creator is the Best MP4 to DVD Converter?
Steps to burn MP4 to DVD on Mac and PC with Leawo DVD Creator
Download and install Leawo DVD Creator on your computer. Then follow the below steps to learn how to convert MP4 to DVD on PC and Mac (The Mac version shares the same MP4 to DVD burning steps):
Note: Insert a blank and writable DVD disc into the disc recorder drive if you want to burn MP4 to DVD disc. At the bottom, select disc type according to the disc you’ve inserted to the disc drive, and set disc aspect ratio and quality.