Blu-ray is by far the best media carrier that offers the best movie experience for HD home movie watching. Most Blu-ray discs are distributed by Hollywood movie studios and other movie studios. While these Blu-ray movie studios and distributors announced to add Blu-ray disc protection to protect their intellectual properties, consumers should have the right to get a copy or backup for personal use and avoiding damage of what they have already purchased. This guide would provide you detailed introduction on how to copy Blu-ray to hard drive on your PC, including:
Part 1 – Things for Blu-ray Backup
To begin with, you need firstly make sure you have the below things prepared for Blu-ray backup.
- 1. A Blu-ray drive: The must-have thing you need to copy Blu-ray discs to hard drive or copy ISO image file onto a blank disc. There’re various Blu-ray drives available online. You could purchase one from Amazon or other online stores if you don’t have one. If you want to copy and backup ISO image file onto a blank Blu-ray disc, you need to get a BD-RE (Re-recordable) drive.
- 2. A Blu-ray backup tool: Currently no computer is preset with a Blu-ray drive and Blu-ray backup tool. That’s why you need a Blu-ray backup tool, just like the abovementioned Leawo Blu-ray Copy. It’s the simplest but most full-featured Blu-ray backup software app to backup Blu-ray to PC or blank disc.
- 3. Blu-ray movie source: Of course, you need to prepare the source Blu-ray movies for backup, a Blu-ray movie disc, Blu-ray movie folder, or even Blu-ray ISO image file.
- 4. Anyplace with at least 30G free space storage: Depending on what you’re about to get, you should make sure there’s enough space, either hard drive or blank disc. Blu-Rays are big in content storage. To get high quality backup of source Blu-ray movies, higher storage is required. You need to select a proper drive or prepare a big blank Blu-ray disc for saving the final backup, or make use of an external hard drive if your computer is running out of storage.
- 5. Internet connection: Make sure that your computer is well connected to the Internet as some Blu-ray discs are encrypted while you need to connect the Internet to remove Blu-ray disc protection and back up Blu-ray disc.
Part 2 – How to Backup Blu-ray to hard drive on PC
Leawo Blu-ray Copy
– The ever best Blu-ray backup software for PC users
* Back up Blu-ray disc/folder to hard drive or disc without quality loss;
* Back up Blu-ray ISO to blank BD disc in one click;
* Movie-only backup, 1:1 disc duplication, etc.
Step 1: Get prepared
To copy Blu-ray discs or folders, make clear you’ve already got the abovementioned things ready on your computer. Download and install Leawo Blu-ray Copy on your computer.
Step 2: Add Blu-ray source
Kick off Leawo Blu-ray Copy and. There’re 3 ways for you to load source Blu-ray movies for backup: 1. On the main interface click the “Add Blu-ray/DVD” button to browse and add source Blu-ray movies for backup. 2. Directly drag and drop source Blu-ray folder/disc into this Blu-ray backup tool. 3. Click the inverted triangle drop-down button next to the “Add Blu-ray/DVD” button to import Blu-ray disc directly from BD drive.
Step 3: Blu-ray backup related settings
After adding source Blu-ray file, select a copy mode from the preset “Full Movie”, “Main Movie” and “Custom Mode” options, set output disc type at the bottom. Then, click the big green “Copy” button to call out a sidebar, on which you need to do more Blu-ray backup related settings: Copy to, Disc Label and Save to.
- Difference between the 3 copy modes: Full Movie mode would copy and back up all source Blu-ray file, Main Movie only copies and backs up the longest title in source Blu-ray file and allow you to select subtitle and audio track, while Custom Mode enables you to freely select specific title(s), subtitle and audio track for backup.
- Under the “Copy to” option, there are 3 options for you to choose. You need to choose at least one (3 for the most). To backup Blu-ray to Blu-ray disc, you need to insert a blank writable Blu-ray disc into the Blu-ray disc drive beforehand and then select the Blu-ray drive under the “Copy to” option.
A reference table for you:
||Blu-ray disc, folder and/or ISO Image file
||Blu-ray disc and/or ISO Image File
|Blu-ray ISO File
Finally, click the “Copy” button on the sidebar to copy Blu-ray to hard drive immediately. Leawo Blu-ray Copy would start to back up Blu-ray file as you’ve set. On the Copying window, you could view the copying progress and do after-copying settings.
To make it easy to understand, take a closer look at the below video demo to learn how to backup Blu-ray movies on PC.