“I have quite a lot of BDMV folders and would like to convert the main movies in these BDMV folders to MP4 or MOV videos so that I could directly watch these movies on my iPad. I googled online for some useful Blu-ray converters. All these tools that claimed to be BDMV converter actually did nothing. Can I convert BDMV folder to MP4 or MOV on Mac computer? What is the best BDMV converter for Mac computers? Please show me the effective solutions to complete this.”
The BDMV file is a Blu-ray information file or sometimes called a Blu-ray Disc Movie Information file. They contain information about the contents of a Blu-ray disc, but they don't hold the actual multimedia files themselves. BDMV files are commonly used on optical discs and it is necessary for the disc to play correctly on some devices.
If you want to convert BDMV folders on Mac, you need to get a professional Mac BDMV converter that could extract the movies from BDMV folders and then convert to video files like MP4, MOV, MKV, etc. In this guide, we would like to recommend you 5 best Mac BDMV converters to help you play BDMV on Mac and portable media players freely.
Part 1: Top 5 BDMV Converter for Mac 2020
Firstly, we would like to recommend you 5 best BDMV converters for Mac computers. You could check any of these Mac BDMV converter tools to freely rip and convert BDMV files to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, MKV, etc. on MacBook and iMac as you like.
No. 1 best Mac BDMV Converter – Leawo Blu-ray Ripper
As a professional Mac Blu-ray ripping program, Leawo Blu-ray Ripper for Mac is the very first BDMV converter tool we would like to recommend to you. With Leawo Blu-ray Ripper for Mac, you could easily decrypt, rip and convert BDMV folders to MOV, MP4, MKV, WMV, etc. on Mac computer for unlimited playback. The key features are listed below:
- -Decrypt, rip and convert Blu-ray to video/audio files in various formats like MP4, MOV, MKV, FLV, F4V, AVI, MP3, AAC, AC3, etc.
- -Decrypt, rip and convert Blu-ray discs, folders (BDMV) and ISO image files, regardless of disc protection and region restriction.
- -Downwards capable of decrypting, ripping and converting both encrypted and homemade DVD movies to videos and audios in various formats.
- -Support 4K/1080P video output to save Blu-ray/DVD movies in 4K MP4 or 4K MKV files.
- -Support lossless multi-track output to let you get lossless multi-track MP4/MKV files.
- -Convert 2D Blu-ray/DVD to 3D videos with 6 different 3D movie effects selectable.
- -Edit Blu-ray/DVD movies before converting, including: trimming Blu-ray/DVD movie length, cropping video size, adding image or text watermark, adjusting video effect, rotating video, etc.
- -Select subtitles and audio tracks as preferred.
- -Play back source Blu-ray/DVD movies, preview any editing changes, and merge files into one.
- Support NVIDIA CUDA, Intel Quick Sync and AMD APP GPU acceleration technologies for 6X faster Blu-ray conversion.
No. 2 best Mac BDMV Converter – MakeMKV
MakeMKV is a one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere. MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called “transcoder”. It converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way. The MKV format can store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters. There are many players that can play MKV files nearly on all platforms, and there are tools to convert MKV files to many formats, including DVD and Blu-ray discs.
- It’s a totally free video transcoder to offer free service.
- MakeMKV just puts the native video stream into a MKV container, without changing any inner content and structure, hence delivering quality lossless output MKV file.
- Output MKV files are becoming more and more popular.
- Quite easy to use interface.
- Available for multiple platforms like Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.
- Handle both encrypted and non-commercial Blu-ray/DVD discs.
- Support only one output format, which is a little bit inconvenient nowadays since MKV is currently still not accepted by many devices and players.
- Only provide the direct transcoding work, no extra features available like video editing, subtitles selecting, etc.
No. 3 best Mac BDMV Converter – HandBrake
Handbrake is a free and open-source transcoder for digital video files being developed to make ripping a film from a DVD to a data storage device easier. HandBrake is available for Linux, macOS, and Windows. It uses third-party libraries such as FFmpeg, libvpx, and x265.
- Similar to MakeMKV, HandBrake is totally free to use.
- Support MKV, and MP4 file formats as output, which should meet most devices and players.
- Enable people to adjust the video, audio, image parameters before converting.
- Crop and resize video.
- Remove combing artifacts caused by interlacing and telecine.
- Pass-through audio without conversion for certain audio types.
- Adjust audio volume levels, and dynamic range for certain audio types.
- Preserve existing subtitles, and add or remove soft subtitles (subtitles stored as text).
- HandBrake alone doesn’t handle encrypted Blu-ray/DVD discs. You need to install 3rd-party disc decrypting plugins like libdvdcss for HandBrake.
- Similar to MakeMKV, HandBrake doesn’t edit Blu-ray/DVD movies before converting.
- HandBrake will decode and encode media files, therefore the output video quality might be lossy.
No. 4 best Mac BDMV Converter – VideoSolo BD DVD Ripper
Being one of the best Blu-ray rippers, VideoSolo Blu-ray Ripper can convert Blu-ray movie disc to MKV, MP4, MOV, AVI, and other 100+ video/audio formats. It can also export videos in 1080P, and 4K resolution to provide high output quality. With this program, you can transfer your Blu-ray movie to a computer, smartphone or media server for watching.
- Get rid of disc protection and region restrictions.
- Easy to use interface.
- Support quite a lot of video and audio file formats as output.
- Enable people to change the video and audio parameters of output files.
- Edit Blu-ray/DVD movies before converting.
- Turn 2D Blu-ray/DVD movies to 3D movies in different 3D effects.
- Select subtitles and audio tracks preferred.
- Support GPU acceleration including Intel QSV, NVIDIA NVENC/CUDA and AMD.
- The program design is out of date.
- The disc decrypting performance is not satisfied.
- Output videos are lossy.
No. 5 best Mac BDMV Converter – LosslessCopy
EaseFab LosslessCopy is an intuitive and insanely fast BD/DVD copying and converting tool. It can convert video clips from proprietary encrypted Blu-ray/DVD discs to into MKV files with multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters. Additionally LosslessCopy can rip BD/DVD to MP4 and MOV with multiple audio streams. What's more, it can convert BD/DVD from hard discs to virtually any popular video and audio format so that you can freely watch movies on with your favorite player or your favorite devices.
- Advanced disc decrypting and region restriction breaking technologies.
- Smooth converting and easy to use interface.
- Lossless Blu-ray/DVD backup.
- Lack of 4K video output support.
- Blu-ray disc decrypting is slow and unsatisfied.
Part 2: How to Use Best BDMV Converter -- Leawo Blu-ray Ripper for Mac
The below steps would show you how to convert BDMV folder on Mac with the best Mac BDMV converter – Leawo Blu-ray Ripper for Mac. You need to firstly download and install it on your computer. It’s a module built in Leawo Prof. Media for Mac.
Step 1: Add source BDMV folder
Launch Leawo Prof. Media on your Mac computer and then open the “Convert” module. Then click the “Add Blu-ray/DVD” button to choose “Add from folder” option to browse and load BDMV folder.
Note: Leawo Blu-ray Ripper for Mac offers you 3 different content loading modes: Full Movie mode will load the entire BDMV folder, MainMovie mode will by default load the longest title in BDMV folder but allow you to switch to any other title, while Custom Mode enables you freely select title(s) for loading.
Step 2: Set output format
Click the button next to the “Add Photo” button. You will then see 3 different options: Edit, Change and Apply to All. Click “Change” button to enter the Profile panel, where you could select a video format according to your own needs.
Step 3: Adjust video parameters
To meet your target player or device, Leawo Blu-ray Ripper enables you to adjust the video and audio parameters of selected output format, like video codec, bit rate, aspect ratio, frame rate, audio codec, etc. You could do this by clicking the “Edit” option on the drop-down panel next to the “Add Photo” button.
Step 4: Set output directory
Then, click the big green “Convert” button. On the popup sidebar, set output directory in the “Save to” box. After that, click the bottom “Convert” button to start converting BDMV folder on Mac. It won’t take you long to get the result.
Part 3: Convert BDMV with MakeMKV
Want a free Mac BDMV converter? Want to know how to convert BDMV on Mac with MakeMKV? Just follow the below steps:
- Download and install MakeMKV on Mac computer. Get source BDMV folder ready for converting.
- Launch MakeMKV on Mac computer.
- Add source BDMV folder by clicking “File” button.
- Set the destination of output MKV file in the “Output Folder” box (default is set to ~/Movies/DiscName). And give it a name.
- In the end, simply click “Make MKV” to start the conversion process
It’s very easy to use MakeMKV to convert BDMV folder on Mac. And you will get an MKV file after converting. Compared to Leawo Blu-ray Ripper, MakeMKV is free and easier to use, but if you want to convert BDMV folder to other video files like MP4, MOV, WMV, FLV, etc., MakeMKV won’t make it.
Part 4: How to open a BDMV file on MAC (Blu-ray Player)
Generally speaking, opening BDMV folder on Mac would be a little bit troublesome since the QuickTime doesn’t recognize BDMV folder. You have to turn to 3rd-party media player that supports BDMV folder playback. Leawo FREE Blu-ray Player is the right one.
Leawo Free Blu-ray Player can help you do the below things on Mac computer:
- Play back all Blu-ray disc, folder and ISO image file on Mac computer, regardless of disc protection and region restriction.
- Play back DVD discs, folders and ISO image files on Mac, regardless of disc protection and region restriction.
- Play back videos up to 4K/1080P without any quality loss in almost all video file formats like MP4, AVI, MOV, MKV, F4V, etc.
- Play back almost all audio files on Mac.
- Select subtitles and audio tracks freely, even add external subtitles.
- Freely switch from one language to another on program interface.
- Control Blu-ray disc playback via virtual remote controller.
- Manage computer battery via the power manager feature.
- Get cinema like movie experience with the support of various advanced audio decoding technologies including Dolby, DTS, AAC, TrueHD, DTS-HD, multi-channel sounds including 5.1 and 7.1 channels, etc.
- Convert Blu-ray to lossless MKV file easily.
Leawo Blu-ray Player is without doubt the best media player for Mac. It’s totally FREE.