It's a quite frustrating thing that you miss a lot of phone calls because your iPhone doesn't ring normally. Don't worry, you are not the only one who are experiencing this iPhone not ringing problem as it bothered many people. You will see missed calls on the screen even though the phone is right next to you. Even if you are sure the ringer is on, the phone is not muted and you didn’t hear any sound. Don’t throw your phone at the cat when you find you missed one important call due to silent iPhone ringing. This post will explain why your iPhone won’t ring and provide several solutions for you to solve the "iPhone not ringing" issue.
Part 1: Why is My iPhone Not Ringing?
When you face the issue of iPhone not ringing, you can check your iPhone from the common aspects here.
- First, you can check to see whether your iPhone is set to the silent mode. If so, you will not be able to hear your iPhone ringing.
- Check if your iPhone has turned on the “Do Not Disturb” button. Sometimes you may accidentally switch on Do Not Disturb option, which silences notifications, alerts, and calls. Your iPhone will not ring, but it still allows the phone calls to come in and as you won’t hear the sound, you will see missed calls. In some cases, the user accidentally turns this feature on without even realizing.
- You’d better investigate on your ringtone to ensure that your ringtone file is not corrupted or the ringtone itself is not silence.
- Perhaps something wrong with your iPhone audio components. For instance, your iPhone speakers can not work normally.
- When your iPhone is stuck in the headphone mode, you will fail to receive the ringing as well.
- If you have turned the feature of “block unknown callers”, you will not be able to hear the phone ringing of strangers that are not in your contact list.
- It is probable that your iPhone software is too old, which calls for updating to hear ringtones normally.
These are just common reasons to explain the issue of “why is my iPhone not ringing”. As for how to fix this error, the following part will help you to clear off your confusions.
Part 2: 9 Ways to Fix iPhone Not Ringing?
There are various measures to take to handle the issue of iPhone not ringing. Here I would like to conclude some of them after searching on the internet to save your time and help you out of trouble.
△ 1. Check the Silent Button or Increase the Volume
Check if the silent button is activated. If so, the button will display red. You can also check if the if the ringing volume is not muted or the silent mode is turned on.
- Go to “Settings> Sound” and check the Ringtone and Volume options.
- Physically check if the Silent switch button is activated.
- Try to increase the volume of your iPhone to the highest level and then call your number using the other device.
△ 2. Switch off Do Not Disturb Option
Another method you can try is to switch off “Do Not Disturb” option when you find your iPhone won't ring. You can check at a glance to the top-left side of your iPhone screen. If you see the moon icon, it means the Do Not Disturb mode is activated. To disable it, follow the steps below:
- Swipe up from the bottom of the device to bring up Command Center. And then tap the Moon icon to turn it off.
- You can also open “Settings > Do Not Disturb”. Here, see if the button next to Schedule section is green. If it does, turn it off. On the same screen, make sure the button of Manually section is not green. If it is, tap once to turn it off.
△ 3. Change a Ringtone
Perhaps the previous ringtone is too soft or too gentle. You can change a wild or exciting ringtone to substitute it. For adding the ringtone processed by yourself, you can click here to learn how to make it.
△ 4. Check the Bluetooth Headphone
If there is a Bluetooth headphone connected with your iPhone, you need to disconnect it to allow your iPhone to ring.
△ 5. Check the Speakers
Plug your headphone into the port to see if there is any sound coming out of it. If you can hear sound via your headphone, there is something wrong with your iPhone speaker. In this case, you need to contact Apple to fix the hardware issue.
△ 6. Check if the Phone Number is Blocked
Your iPhone won't ring if call forwarding is turned on, and you won't receive calls from people whose number you've blocked. Therefore, when you find that your iPhone doesn't ring, you can check the iPhone settings.
- Open Settings on the iPhone Home screen and tap Phone. Tap Call Forwarding. If the button is on, tap to turn it off.
- Go back to the Phone menu and tap Blocked. Look through the list of blocked numbers. If you have blocked someone whose incoming calls you now need to hear, tap Edit, the red Minus sign and then Unblock.
△ 7. Restart Your iPhone
Try to restart your iPhone and you may be fortunate to find that your iPhone can ring normally.
- For iPhone with a Home button, you just need to press the power button for a while to make it.
- For iPhone without a Home button, you need to press and hold the Side button till a slider appears on the screen. Drag the slider to turn off your iPhone and then hold and press the Side button again to start your iPhone device.
△ 8. Fix Headphone Mode or Updating Issue
If your iPhone is stuck in the headphone mode, plug in and remove it again. In some cases, the software that control the headphone jack can be confused. Check the jack to see if there is dust or debris. If yes, you can use a soft brush to clean it out, making sure not to push dust into the socket. Plug the headphones into the jack and take them out again a couple of times. This may force the iPhone out of the mode and restore sound to speakers if this was the problem. Or you can turn to Leawo iOSFix to help your iPhone to get out of the headphone mode.
△ 9. Reset iPhone to Factory Settings
If you have tried them all but your iPhone still doesn't ring, maybe it is the time for a fresh start. You can restore your iPhone to factory settings using iTunes. Everything you have stored on your device (apps, files and settings you have adjusted according to your needs) will be erased. Therefore, please keep in mind that you have to backup your iPhone before restoring iPhone to factory settings. And you need to install the latest version of iTunes on your PC or MAC. Then go to “Settings > iCloud” to turn off Find My iPhone.
Step 1: Plug iPhone into the computer with the USB cable. The iTunes on your computer will automatically launch. If not, double-click the icon to start it.
Step 2: Click the name of your iPhone at the upper right corner of iTunes, and then the information of your iPhone will be shown. Click the “Restore iPhone” button in the window to start.
Step 3: iTunes will ask whether you want to back up iPhone before restoring. You’d better choose "Yes" for the reset will erase the contents in your iPhone. Then iTunes will start restoring your iPhone to factory settings.
Step 4: Click Restore again to confirm. Then iTunes erases your iPhone and installs the latest iOS or iPod software. After you restore your iPhone to factory settings, it will restart. Now you can set it up as new.
Part 3: How to Fix iPhone Not Ringing Caused by Software Issue with Leawo iOSFix?
It is quite advisable for you to take advantage of Leawo iOSFix to assist you to fix iPhone not ringing issue without losing any data. This is a good way to get out of the trouble and work with a normal iPhone. You can make use of it to handle over 50 kinds of iOS/tvOS issues, which is convenient for you to apply, including stuck in recovery mode, Apple Pay not working, stuck on transferring data, and so forth. Read the steps below and you will be able to fix the issue properly.
Step 1: Download and install Leawo iOSFix
Navigate to the official website of Leawo iOSFix and then download the software to install it on your computer.
- Fix 50+ iOS/tvOS issues on iPhone, iPad, iPod or Apple TV
- 2 repair modes for data lossless fixing
- Fix all iOS and tvOS versions in clicks
- Multiple iOS/tvOS system fixing pathse
- One-click to upgrade to the latest iOS/tvOS version
- One-click to enter/exit Recovery Mode
- Troubleshoot iOS/tvOS not recognized issues in detail
Step 2: Connect your iPhone to computer
Insert your iPhone into computer with a matched USB cable and then run the tool on your computer. The software will detect your iPhone automatically.
Step 3: Select repair mode to fix iPhone not ringing
Select the Standard Mode or Advanced Mode. The first mode on the left of the interface can handle the issue by keeping all previous iPhone data, while the mode on the right part can assist you to deal with serious errors by erasing all data. In order to tackle the iPhone not ringing issue, you can just try the Standard Mode to make it without losing data.
Step 4: Download firmware
Confirm your iPhone model. Hit on the button of “Download Now” to begin to download suitable firmware for your iPhone. If you have saved a proper firmware on your computer folder, you can hit on the “Select” option to choose it from your computer.
Step 5: Initiate fixing process to fix your iPhone not ringing
Hit on the button of “Fix Now” to begin to fix your iPhone not ringing issue. Wait for a while and you will be able to hear iPhone ringing normally.
All the solutions above are found effective to fix iPhone not ringing issue on various iPhone types. If you tried the solutions above, and nothing works, remember to contact the nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider to continue to handle this error.