Watching movies has become one of the major digital entertainment ways in people’s daily life, especially HD movies like 1080P 3D/2D Blu-ray movies, be it at cinema or with home theatre system. As known to all, compared with DVD, Blu-ray offers better movie experience for its larger storage, which affords better image quality, better sound quality, and more special features. However, sometimes you may need to copy Blu-ray movies to DVD disc or convert Blu-ray movies to DVD video formats for diverse purposes. If you’re looking for a solution to copy Blu-ray to DVD, this post would satisfy you.
Basic Knowledge: Why Convert/Copy Blu-ray to DVD
Without doubt, watching Blu-ray movies gain better HD movie experience. However, the problem is that currently Blu-ray still costs a big amount of cash. To watch Blu-ray movies, a Blu-ray player is a must-have, which might cost you hundreds of or even a thousand dollar. Even if you’re using free Blu-ray player software, you need to pay extra money on a Blu-ray recorder drive. While DVD costs less than $20 and regular DVD drive is also a DVD burner. By comparing the cost, it’s reasonable to copy Blu-ray to DVD.
There’re cases you may need to backup Blu-ray to DVD for multiple uses, like playing Blu-ray main movie on DVD player, watching Blu-ray main movies on iPad and other portable devices, etc. Also, due to frequent insert-and-eject, both Blu-ray drive and Blu-ray disc could get damaged. The fragile Blu-ray disc could even get scratched, breakage, broken, etc. To avoid such cases, it’s recommended you copy Blu-ray to DVD for cost saving, convenient Blu-ray movie enjoying, and disc safekeeping.
To backup Blu-ray to DVD, actually there’re 2 directions you could think about: copy Blu-ray to DVD disc, and convert Blu-ray to DVD video format. The first solution helps you play back Blu-ray main movie on DVD players, while the latter one enables you to store main movie of Blu-ray on computer and play back it freely anytime as you like.
How to Copy Blu-ray to DVD
Copying Blu-ray to DVD actually means to compress Blu-ray to DVD disc, because Blu-ray has much larger storage DVD. Hence, a high quality Blu-ray to DVD compressor that could compress Blu-ray to DVD with high compressing rate and little quality loss would be of great importance. The below steps show you how to copy Blu-ray to DVD by using Leawo Blu-ray Copy, a professional Blu-ray to DVD copier that could copy and burn Blu-ray to DVD-9/DVD-5 with high quality compressing.
Why use Leawo Blu-ray Copy
Copying Blu-ray to DVD requires high quality Blu-ray compression and no quality loss. Leawo Blu-ray Copy could compress Blu-ray movies by up to 70% but retain original Blu-ray movie quality to the highest, including Blu-ray to DVD-9/DVD-5. Meanwhile, Leawo Blu-ray Copy is empowered with advanced disc decrypting tech, which could bypass Blu-ray disc protection and copy Blu-ray to DVD successfully.
Original Blu-ray disc, Blu-ray recorder drive, computer, blank DVD disc, download and install Leawo Blu-ray Copy on your computer. After those, follow the below steps to learn how to copy Blu-ray to DVD:
Step 1: Add Blu-ray disc
Insert source Blu-ray disc into the Blu-ray drive and then launch Leawo Blu-ray Copy. Click the “Add Blu-ray/DVD” button to browse and add original Blu-ray disc from disc drive.
Step 2: Choose copy mode
At the bottom of the left processing list panel, choose the output DVD disc type according to your blank DVD disc. It should be noted that under Blu-ray to DVD backup, full movie backup is not supported. You could only select from Main Movie and Custom Mode. Main Movie would automatically select the longest title (the main movie) for backup, while Custom Mode allows you to select desired titles for backup to DVD disc.
Step 3: More settings
Click the big green "Copy" button to bring out the sidebar, where you need to finish another 3 settings: Copy to, Disc Label and Save to. If you get additional DVD drive plus the Blu-ray recorder drive, insert your blank DVD disc into the DVD drive and then select the DVD drive as output under "Copy to" option. If you only get one Blu-ray drive, just select to copy to "ISO File". Disc Label and Save to directory could be set upon your will. After these settings, click the "Copy" button on the sidebar.
Step 4: Put ISO file to DVD disc
If you only get one Blu-ray recorder drive on your computer and you’ve chosen to copy to “ISO File” in step 3, after ISO file has been generated, reopen Leawo Blu-ray Copy and then click the inverted drop-down triangle arrow next to the “Add Blu-ray/DVD” button and then click “Add iso file” option to add generated ISO file for burning to DVD disc. Inject original Blu-ray disc and then insert blank DVD disc into the Blu-ray recorder drive. Click the refresh button on the “Add iso file” window to set blank DVD disc as “Copy to” target. After that, click the “Burn” button.
How to Convert Blu-ray to DVD
Some other people may want to convert Blu-ray to DVD videos like VOB format for playback on Windows Movie player or other players/devices. It’s quite easy to do this with the help of Leawo Blu-ray Ripper – an expert Blu-ray decrypting, ripping, and converting program that could decrypt, rip and convert any Blu-ray movies to 180+ video formats including VOB, MP4, MKV, AVI, etc. For multiple uses.
Detailed steps on converting Blu-ray to DVD VOB are listed below:
Step 1: Load Blu-ray disc
Click the “Add Blu-ray/DVD” button to browse and import Blu-ray disc from Blu-ray recorder drive to Leawo Blu-ray Ripper. Select “Main Movie” mode to load source Blu-ray main movie for converting to DVD VOB format.
Step 2: Set output format
Click the drop-down box before the big green “Convert” button and then select “Change” option. On the popup “Profile” panel, select “Format > Common Video > VOB Video” or “Format > HD Video > HD VOB Video” as output format. You could also make use of the profile search bar for quick profile setting.
Step 3: Other settings and convert
Return to the main interface and then click the big green “Convert” button. On the popup sidebar, set output directory to save the final result in “Save to” option and then click the “Convert” button on the sidebar to start converting Blu-ray to DVD VOB files.
Note: After converting Blu-ray to DVD VOB file with this Blu-ray to DVD converter, you could play back the converted Blu-ray main movie on any VOB-compatible player. If you want to put the DVD VOB file onto blank DVD disc, you need to burn DVD VOB file to DVD disc using Leawo Blu-ray Creator.
Tips on How to Select Blu-ray to DVD Backup Software
Blu-ray to DVD copy/converting software plays an important role on copying Blu-ray to DVD or converting Blu-ray to DVD. How to select a practical, efficient and cost-effective Blu-ray to DVD backup software program? You could refer to the following tips:
- Disc decrypting: Most Blu-ray discs are encrypted and/or region restricted. This is very necessary for copyright protection, but not applicable to those people who have already purchased and planned for a non-commercial use of the Blu-ray discs they have. Therefore, disc decrypting ability is required for Blu-ray to DVD backup software.
- Blu-ray/DVD to folder or ISO file backup: The support to backup Blu-ray/DVD to folder and/or ISO file is also quite important, especially ISO image file, which represents quality lossless Blu-ray backup.
- ISO to disc backup: You could download ISO files online or get ISO files ripped from discs. In most situations, you may need to burn ISO file to blank disc. Blu-ray to DVD backup software with support of ISO to disc burning is especially useful when your computer has only one Blu-ray recorder drive.
- Blu-ray compression: Blu-ray to DVD backup is actually a Blu-ray to DVD compression process. The higher compressing rate and less quality loss the Blu-ray to DVD backup software could offer, the better it would be.
- Movie-only backup: Movie-only backup is in fact an effective way to save storage. You could just backup the main movie, saving time and space.
- Blu-ray converting: Sometimes you may need to convert Blu-ray movies to DVD VOB or other video formats like MP4, AVI, MKV, FLV, etc. for diverse uses.
- Speed for Blu-ray to DVD backup: How long it would take to finish a Blu-ray to DVD backup matters a lot. Taking Leawo Blu-ray Copy as example, it comes with graphics card acceleration, which include NVIDIA CUDA, AMD APP and Intel Quick Sync. This means it could greatly shorten the backup/converting process and be faster than other alternatives.
- Price: The cost is of course an important thing to think about during selecting Blu-ray to DVD backup software.