"I’ve got several burned dvd’s containing rare stuff that I’m trying to back up to my hard drive. One or two were easy, as they are single files, but several have 2 files, audio_TS and video_TS. Do I have to convert them to an avi before I can back them up in on my hard drive? Is there a free converter online I can use, or should I buy one? How do I save these once they’ve been converted? Many thanks."
Most DVD disc holders would copy DVD to hard drive or blank disc as backup. Due to the large demand of DVD backup, questions like "How to copy DVD to hard drive?" and "Why can’t I copy DVD discs?" are frequently seen online. You can get satisfied answers and solutions in this post.
DVD Backup FAQs
- 1. Is it legal to decrypt protected DVD discs or remove region code?
- The movie industry has every right to its intellectual property. However, when you purchase a DVD, you should be able to do whatever you want with what you’ve purchased, as long as you don’t redistribute the material in an unauthorized way. That means you have the right to decrypt protected discs or remove disc regions upon DVD discs you’ve purchased. This post aims to offer you effective solutions to copy or/and convert protected DVD discs you’ve purchased, not encouraging you to decrypt DVD discs you rent or borrow. Meanwhile, decrypted DVD content is not encouraged for commercial or profitable purposes.
- 2. How to see if my DVD disc is copy protected or not?
- If the disc is licensed, bought in an official shop, it is protected. If you get your DVD discs from other sources, there’re also ways to tell whether it’s protected or not: 1. Check the box of the disk to see whether the bow of the licensed DVD is qualitative, bright and firm or not. The disk itself should not be dirty or damaged. 2. Play back it on DVD player. The menu of a protected DVD is usually colorful and professionally-made. 3. Try to copy or convert it with non-decrypting DVD copy or converting apps. Protected DVD discs won’t let you copy or convert.
- 3. What about the DVD disc region code?
- Commercial DVDs are protected not only against duplication by CSS protection, but they have region codes embedded — codes that restrict where these DVD discs could be played back. You could change the DVD player region code to play back these region-coded DVD discs, but for only 5 times. To solve the DVD disc region code restriction, you get 2 choices: 1. Remove DVD disc region code with DVD decrypting apps. 2. Make use of 3rd-party DVD players that allows you to adjust DVD player region code unlimited, like Free Blu-ray Player.
- 4. What should I need if I want to copy or convert protected DVD disc?
- Just find a DVD copy or converting app that has disc decrypting feature to help you bypass these DVD protections and remove the disc region code. There’re a lot of DVD backup software apps that could help you do this, like DVD Copy, DVD Ripper, etc. Through decrypting, these apps make DVD backups unencrypted and region-free.
- 5. How will the disc decryption go on?
- If you use above-mentioned DVD Copy and DVD Ripper for decrypting discs, the decryption would happen automatically, with no manual operation required.
- 6. Can I just backup DVD main movie?
- Yes. Most DVD backup software offers “Main Movie” copy mode to let you copy DVD main movie for backup.
- 7. Can I just copy certain DVD titles for backup?
- Yes. Currently, most DVD backup software allow you to select DVD backup mode, which offers accessibility for you to select only desired titles or chapters for backup.
- 8. Can I select subtitles and audio tracks for DVD backup?
- Of course yes. As long as source DVD movies include subtitles and audio tracks, you’re able to select desired ones for adding to the final DVD backups.
- 9. Can I play DVD movies on my iPad tablet?
- Yes. You could make use of DVD Ripper or other DVD converting programs to convert DVD movies to video files and then play DVD movies on iPad tablet, iPhone, iPod, Android mobile phones and tablets, Microsoft devices, etc.
Backup DVD: Copy DVD to Hard Drive
Copying DVD to hard drive with DVD copy software is no doubt the best and most straightforward way to backup DVD to hard drive. DVD copy software would help you retain original quality video and audio onto computer hard drive. To backup DVD to hard drive with DVD copy software, you need to prepare the below things:
- Computer with DVD drive;
- Source DVD disc or movie folder;
- DVD copy software;
- Enough disk space and Internet connection
Use the best DVD copy software to copy DVD to hard drive
What is the best DVD copy software to copy DVD to hard drive without quality loss? This may exist in every DVD disc holder’s mind, especially those who would like to backup DVD to hard drive. The standard might differ upon personal requirements. These standards might be applied: disc decrypting feature, quality lossless DVD copy on video and audio, wide OS and disc compatibility, high quality compression, application stability, ease of use, user friendliness, etc.
Leawo DVD Copy is highly recommended for backup DVD to hard drive. As professional DVD backup software, Leawo DVD Copy offers full-featured solution for quality-lossless DVD backup. It allows 1:1 disc to disc DVD backup, movie-only DVD backup, high quality DVD-9 to DVD-5 disc compression, DVD disc to ISO backup, and ISO to DVD disc backup, etc.
Why use Leawo DVD Copy?
How to Copy DVD to Hard Drive
Download and install Leawo DVD Copy on your computer (officially, it’s named as Leawo Blu-ray Copy). With all above-mentioned things ready, follow the below guide to learn how to copy DVD to hard drive.
DVD to Hard Drive Backup: Rip DVD to Hard Drive
Backup DVD to hard drive computer with professional DVD copy software brings direct DVD to hard drive backup, without changing DVD format, but this way requires great storage space to save the copied DVD movies. The even better option is actually to rip DVD to hard drive in different formats you need, like MP4, AVI, FLV, MOV, etc. This solution has 2 obvious advantages: less storage required, and wide compatibility (you could play ripped DVD movies with various players or on different devices).
To rip DVD to hard drive, Leawo DVD Ripper (aka Leawo Blu-ray Ripper) is your best choice. It is a top-rated DVD to video converter program that could decrypt, rip and convert DVD to video and audio in 180+ formats like MP4, AVI, MOV, MKV, FLV, etc. for nearly all existing media players and devices like iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod), Android phones and tablets, Windows phones, etc.
Why use Leawo DVD Ripper?
3. Play back DVD movies on almost all existing devices without any difficulty.
How to rip DVD to hard drive?
To begin with, you need to get well prepared. Check whether you’ve already got the below things before you start to rip DVD to hard drive.
- Computer with DVD disc drive;
- DVD ripping and converting software;
- Source DVD disc or movie folder;
- Internet connection.
If these things are prepared, just download and install Leawo DVD Ripper on your computer and then follow the below guidance to learn how to rip DVD to hard drive on your computer.
- Choosing to rip DVD to hard drive means you get choice to play back DVD movies on various media players or portable devices. Thus, it’s strongly suggested you choose profile according to your media player or device.
- This DVD ripping software even allows you to create 3D movies out of common DVD movies and edit DVD movies before ripping to videos like trimming, adding watermark, adjust effect, etc.
- Mac users need to turn to Leawo DVD Ripper for Mac to rip and convert DVD to hard drive on Mac for DVD backup.
Free DVD Player to Play Back Copied DVD
It seems easy to play back copied DVD movies on computer or portable devices after reading the above 2 solutions. However, sometimes it is just the opposite. Microsoft has announced no support for DVD playback on Windows 8 Windows Media Player, while you need to download DVD Player on Mac to play back DVD movies on Mac. For copied or ripped DVD movies, you now get a better and free DVD Player to play back. That’s Leawo Free Blu-ray Player.