"How do I convert avi. files into a watchable DVD? I have some files on my computer in avi. format, and I need to burn them onto a DVD. What format do they need to be in to watch them on DVD/how is it best to burn these. I have a pretty standard Sony DVD player. Please help."
If you have a plan to burn AVI to DVD or have already searched an AVI to DVD burning solution online, you may not be unfamiliar with this question. This post is where you should stop your searching and focus on, as it provides you the most comprehensive solutions to convert AVI to DVD.
About AVI to DVD Conversion
AVI stands for Audio Video Interleave and is one of the most popular formats in the world for digital movies and videos. AVI is able to store audio and video data in the same container and play them simultaneously. A DVD, or Digital Versatile Disk, is a type of compact disk that can store audio, video, and data individually or simultaneously. DVDs are available in varying types with DVD-ROM, DVD-R, and DVD+R all able to be recorded once and DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM able to be recorded multiple times.
A common task that arises for consumers is to convert AVI to DVD for use in portable or home DVD players or HDTV. Programs called AVI to DVD converter or AVI to DVD burner become a must for converting or burning AVI to DVD. You could get free AVI to DVD burner software or commercial DVD authoring apps to complete AVI to DVD burning tasks. The below content would show you detailed AVI to DVD converting solutions respectively with Windows preset DVD Maker, free DVD Flick and commerical AVI to DVD converter – Leawo DVD Creator.
Note: The former 2 solutions are for Windows users only, while the latter commercial AVI to DVD converter is available for both Windows and Mac users.
Solution 1: Burn AVI to DVD with Windows DVD Maker
Note: This solution is for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users only.
Windows DVD Maker is a DVD authoring utility developed by Microsoft for Windows Vista and included in Windows 7 that allows users to create DVD slideshows and videos for playback on media devices such as a DVD player or HDTV. It is free and preset in Windows OS. However, you may need to install correct codec to make it friendly with all types of video formats. Check the below steps to learn how to convert AVI to DVD with Windows DVD Maker.
- You need to insert a blank writable DVD disc into the DVD recorder before you start burning AVI to DVD.
- Some video files might not be recognized by Windows DVD Maker. In this case, you need to install codec pack for your Windows DVD Maker. You need to install the right codec pack from DivX, ffdshow and the K-Lite Codec Pack.
- Please note that Windows DVD Maker is only applicable to Windows Vista and 7.
Solution 2: Burn AVI to DVD with Free DVD Authoring App
DVD Flick, an open source DVD authoring application for Windows, is capable of importing audio tracks, video files and subtitles, composing a DVD-Video movie and burning it to a disc – or creating an ISO image for later burning. It supports for over 45 file formats, 60 video codecs and 40 audio codecs, allows users to add menu and subtitles, etc. You could check the below steps to learn how to convert AVI to DVD with DVD Flick.
- Make sure your blank writable DVD disc is large enough to store source AVI videos;
- You could create DVD disc, folder and/or ISO image file as you like;
- Some video formats are not recognized by DVD Flick. And there’s no solution for that.
- DVD Flick is for Windows only, including Vista, XP, 7, 8 and later OS.
Solution 3: Burn AVI to DVD with Shareware AVI to DVD Converter
It’s quite easy to see that Windows DVD Maker is not an ideal AVI to DVD converter program to convert AVI to DVD since it’s been removed by Microsoft on Windows 8 and later OS versions. DVD Flick offers quite effective solution on converting AVI to DVD, however, you will find it similar to Windows DVD Maker and the interface is not user friendly. What’s more, the video editing feature is not powerful at all, and if you want to add 3D effect for burning to DVD, you’ll be failed. There’s a common disadvantage of these 2 DVD making apps: they have no Mac version. That’s why you need Leawo AVI to DVD Converter.
Leawo AVI to DVD Converter is a shareware AVI to DVD burning tool that could handle all kinds of video to DVD burning in simple clicks at high speed. This AVI to DVD burner is a simple yet versatile DVD burning software that has everything you want to customize AVI videos and produce expert looking DVDs. It not only allows you to burn AVI to DVD, but also helps you burn all sorts of videos into DVD like MP4 to DVD, WMV to DVD, MKV to DVD …… Besides, it features loads of DVD templates and various DVD settings, which could easily transform your video makings into professional-looking DVDs.
To convert AVI to DVD with Leawo AVI to DVD converter, you need firstly download and install this program on your computer. Then, the below things are needed:
- Blank and writable DVD disc (or DVD-RW/DVD+RW disc) and DVD recorder drive;
- Source AVI video files;
- Hard drive with enough space.
- To burn AVI to DVD disc, you need to insert writable DVD disc into DVD recorder beforehand, and then select DVD recorder as output under "Burn to" option in Step 3;
- You could create DVD folder, ISO image file and/or DVD disc at the same time;
- The Mac version of Leawo AVI to DVD Converter for Mac shares the same guidance as the Windows one.