Some people don’t use AirDrop because there are alternatives to this feature, while many people don't use it because they do not even know there is such a practical feature on iPhone. There are also people who find AirDrop not working on iPhone as questions like "Why is my AirDrop not working" can be seen on some Apple product forums. There are many reasons for this AirDrop not working issue. In this article, we will explain the working principle of AirDrop and why is AirDrop not working. This guidance will also provide you with measures to fix this problem.
Part 1: What is AirDrop & How Does It Work?
Before you set down fixing AirDrop not working iPhone, first you should learn what is AirDrop and how it works, which will benefit you when shoot the not working issue of this feature.
What is AirDrop? In fact, AirDrop, a feature that many people are not familiar with, is an extremely useful tool for people share files like images, songs, playlists, etc. wirelessly among Macs and iOS devices, and it is especially useful when you want to send files to a person that standing right beside you while there is no Wi-Fi available.
How Does AirDrop Work? AirDrop can be used to share almost anything by communicating with other devices over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It is a much faster method for sharing things with someone else near you. There is no need for you to connect both iOS devices with the Wi-Fi network to enable the AirDrop feature to work. The two devices only need to be close enough, say, within 30 feet, to set up the AirDrop connection. In brief, you are able to transfer files with someone in the next room when the two devices are compatible to AirDrop and the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled.
Part 2: Why is My AirDrop Not Working on iPhone?
It is always necessary to know the reason before we troubleshoot a problem. Therefore, you need to check a few things out before you fix your AirDrop not working iPhone problem.
- Firstly, since AirDrop sharing can occur between Macs, iPhones, iPads, the iPod touch, and other recent Apple devices, the first things to check if you’re having a problem with AirDrop not working is to ensure each model is compatible. You need to make sure that your devices are running iOS 7 or later, and Mac OS X lion (10.7) or later. If the device you use do not support the AirDrop feature, you will surely fail to make it.
- Secondly, when you want to share files with others, make sure your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on your iOS devices. Wi-Fi is also required to make the transfer feasible. You can switch them off and on even both are enabled to fix AirDrop not working error.
- Thirdly, you need to make sure that the distance between the two devices is not too far. You need to know that the sharing feature requires the Bluetooth to be on and to detect compatible devices within 30 feet.
What’s more, AirDrop is supported by applications such as Photos, Contacts and Safari based on the default setting of iPhone. But it doesn't mean that all apps on your iPhone support it. To check it, you need to tap on Share button and check whether there is an AirDrop option or not.
Part 3: Troubleshoot AirDrop Not Working on iPhone
After you learn that there are several factors that could lead to this problem, now let’s try fixing it using the common methods below.
1. Disable Airplane Mode & Do Not Disturb Mode
You can try to handle AirDrop not working issue by disabling Airplane mode and Do Not Disturb feature.
- The Airplane mode can block all kinds of wireless radios like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth that are relied on by AirDrop to work. You can check to turn off this feature by moving to “Settings > Airplane Mode”. Alternatively, you can navigate to the Control Panel to access it by swiping up from the bottom of the screen.
- Another common factor can lead to AirDrop not working issue is the Do Not Disturb feature, which prevents AirDrop from working normally. You can go to the Control Panel to find the icon of Do Not Disturb and toggle it off.
2. Restart Wi-Fi & Bluetooth
- Check whether you have turned on your Bluetooth when you find your AirDrop not working on iPhone. As we have mentioned before, both of your Bluetooth and your Wi-Fi should be turned on to make sure that your AirDrop can work properly on your iPhone. Go to Settings >Bluetooth then toggle it on. You can also turn on the Bluetooth from the control center. Swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone and you can see the Bluetooth icon on top of the panel.
- Check if you have turned on your Wi-Fi. You need to turn on it, though there is no necessity of connecting to a network. Go to Settings >Wi-Fi. The rest of the steps are the same with that of the Bluetooth.
3. Set Visibility to "Everyone"
Check if you have enabled your device to be visible to everyone. Swiping up from bottom of your iPhone then you can see that your AirDrop is in the control center. Tap on it the three-dot button, and options will show up. The Contacts option will let you send the data to nearby friends who have Apple ID. Try “Everyone” option to see if it can work appropriately.
4. Check for Updates
Your AirDrop is not working probably due to the outdated version of iOS. Therefore, you may fix this problem simply by updating it, because normally the next update of iOS system helps to rectify bugs. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. If there is any available update, then all you need to do is tap on it to download and install. Then go back and check again if AirDrop works again.
5. Reset Network Settings
Both of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are part of network settings. Therefore, it is very possible that any issue with the network settings can lead to malfunction of AirDrop and resetting network might help solve this problem. Go to Settings >General > Reset >Reset Network Settings.
6. Force Restart iPhone
There probably are some technical flaws that lead to this AirDrop not working on iPhone problem. You can try to clear off this error by taking a force restart on your iPhone.
- For iPhone 8 and later models, press and release the Volume Up button. Then do the same with Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Side button and then release it when you see the Apple logo showing up on the screen.
- For iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power (Sleep/Wake) button at the same time. When the Apple logo shows up on the screen, release both buttons.
- For iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus and earlier models, press and hold both the Power (Sleep/Wake) button and the Home button for a couple of seconds. When you see the Apple logo on your iPhone screen, release both buttons.
These are quite basic settings that you need to know before you use AirDrop to share files with others. Most problems with AirDrop can be solved by these solutions. Just give it a try and you may be able to get rid of this issue quickly.
Part 4: One-Click to Fix AirDrop Not Working on iPhone
If the above basic settings can not help you out of the trouble of AirDrop not working iPhone, do not be upset. Here we would like to share you a magic method to fix the issue with just a few clicks. Leawo iOSFix is the tool that I would like to recommend to you. It can handle a variety of iOS system issues, like red screen, stuck on Apple logo, stuck on headphone mode and so forth. The step-by-step instruction below will show you how to make it.
Step 1. Download Leawo iOSFix
Go to the official site and download Leawo iOSFix. Install the software on your computer in minutes to get ready for repairing iPhone AirDrop not working error.
- Fix 50+ iOS/tvOS issues on iPhone, iPad, iPod or Apple TV
- 2 repair modes for data lossless fixing
- Fix all iOS and tvOS versions in clicks
- Multiple iOS/tvOS system fixing pathse
- One-click to upgrade to the latest iOS/tvOS version
- One-click to enter/exit Recovery Mode
- Troubleshoot iOS/tvOS not recognized issues in detail
Step 2. Connect iPhone to computer
Plug your iPhone into computer with a matched USB cable. Run Leawo iOSFix and it will detect your iPhone info intelligently.
Step 3. Choose repairing mode to fix AirDrop not working on iPhone
In the next interface, you are advised to choose the Standard Mode first, for this mode will keep all your iPhone data. If this mode fails to get the work done, you can then try to use the Advanced Mode to assist you, but you need to know clearly that this fixing process will erase all your iPhone data. Therefore, be sure to back up your iPhone data if you desire to carry out the Advanced Mode.
Step 4. Download firmware
Confirm the model and system version of your iPhone with AirDrop issue, and then click “Download Now” button to download the proper firmware.
Step 5. Start fixing iPhone AirDrop not working error
Click on “Fix Now” to fix iPhone error and use your iPhone to share files via AirDrop at ease.
If you still have problems with AirDrop, you need to contact Apple and seek help from local Apple tech support, in case it is a hardware problem on your iPhone.