“What is the fastest way to copy and back up an entire Blu-ray to BDMV folder to save on computer hard drive without quality loss? I would like to make 1:1 lossless Blu-ray disc to BDMV folder backup, but have no idea which tool to use and which is the fastest way. Please show me what is the fastest way and how to copy and back up an entire Blu-ray to BDMV folder. Thanks in advance.”
We all know that nowadays Blu-ray has been a dominant method for our HD movie expediences in our leisure time. However, Blu-ray discs are damaged due to scratches, fingerprints, breakage, kids playing with them, etc. Therefore, a lot of HD movie fans have been looking for some practical solutions to copy Blu-ray movie discs to BDMV or ISO image file to save their Blu-ray movies on their computer hard drive or big storage mobile devices. You could easily copy and back up Blu-ray disc to ISO image file with various Blu-ray copy software tools. What is the fastest way to copy and back up Blu-ray disc to BDMV folder without quality loss? Well, in this guide, we would like to recommend you the most complete solution to help you copy and back up entire Blu-ray disc to BDMV folder.
Part 1. The Most Complete Solution to Blu-ray/BDMV Folder - Leawo Prof. Media
Firstly, let’s make everything clear. The most complete solution to Blu-ray to BDMV folder backup recommended here is Leawo Prof. Media, which is a professional and all-inclusive Blu-ray/DVD/video/audio/image solution suite that improves your digital entertainment in diverse aspects.
Featuring Leawo Blu-ray Copy inside, Leawo Prof. Media is the most comprehensive solution for Blu-ray content, covering Blu-ray disc, BDMV folder and Blu-ray ISO image file. Leawo Blu-ray Copy is a professional Blu-ray/DVD copy software tool that could literally decrypt, rip, copy and burn your Blu-ray data onto your PC's hard drive or blank discs.
To summarize its features, Leawo Blu-ray Copy could help you:
- Decrypt, rip and copy Blu-ray/DVD content to computer hard drive or blank disc for backup, regardless of disc protection and region restrictions.
- Copy Blu-ray content between disc, BDMV folder and ISO image file on your computer without quality loss.
- Backup Blu-ray/DVD content in 1:1 disc to disc duplication, movie-only backup, and custom mode according to personal needs.
- Compress BD50 to BD25, Blu-ray to DVD, DVD-9 to DVD-5 with high quality.
- Copy ISO to Blu-ray/DVD disc in one simple click.
- Select subtitles and audio tracks from source Blu-ray/DVD content for backup freely.
- Copy and back up 3D Blu-ray disc in 1:1 quality.
You could realize Blu-ray/DVD backup between various Blu-ray/DVD types with Leawo Blu-ray Copy easily. Actually, besides featuring the Blu-ray Copy module, Leawo Prof. Media offers many more features covering Blu-ray, DVD, video, audio, picture, online video, and so on. With Leawo Prof. Media, you could still:
- Decrypt, rip and convert Blu-ray/DVD movies to video/audio files in 200+ file formats for various uses, regardless of disc protection and region restrictions. It could convert both 2D and 3D Blu-ray movies to 2D videos.
- Convert video and audio files between 200+ file formats like MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, MKV, MOV, M4V, F4V, etc. for various devices and players like iOS devices (iPhone, iPad and iPod), Android devices, Microsoft devices, BlackBerry devices, etc.
- Turn photos into photo slideshow video and edit generated photo slideshows via internal editor.
- Burn video/photos to Blu-ray/DVD disc, folder and/or ISO image files, with multiple disc menu templates preset and disc menu editor enabled. Burn 3D Blu-ray movies easily from 2D video sources. And offer one-click operation to burn ISO image file to disc.
- Download online videos from 1000+ video sharing sites like YouTube, Facebook, Veoh, VEVO, etc.
- Remove Cinavia protection upon Blu-ray discs to help you get Cinavia-free movie files for unlimited playback.
- Convert 2D Blu-ray/DVD/video to 3D movies in 6 different 3D movie effects and 3D depth adjustable.
Obviously, you get far more solutions than simple Blu-ray disc to BDMV folder backup. With GPU graphics card acceleration technologies like NVIDIA CUDA, Intel Quick Sync and AMD APP, Leawo Prof. Media offers 6X faster Blu-ray disc to BDMV backup than its counterparts.
Part 2. Why Do We Need to Copy Blu-ray to BDMV?
Why do we need to copy Blu-ray to BDMV folder? Firstly, we know that Blu-ray discs are fragile. They can be easily damaged in various cases like scratches, fingerprints, breakage, kids playing with them, etc. Therefore, copying Blu-ray discs into BDMV folder could help you safeguard your Blu-ray movie content.
In general, after we backup Blu-ray disc, we can ensure of playing the Blu-ray disc without worrying about the damage to the optical disc due to frequent playing. If we choose to backup full Blu-ray disc to a folder, we can do more:
- Completely decrypted, so it can be played with all Blu-ray player at ease;
- Can be taken as a digital Blu-ray backup in case that the original one is scratched or missing;
- Can be sent to intimate friend or relative as a valuable gift.
- Able to import the unpacked Blu-ray BDMV (M2TS) files to editor like FCP for creating a new project.
Obviously, by copying Blu-ray discs to BDMV folder, it would be much more convenient for saving, playing back and sharing Blu-ray movies on our computer.
Part 3. Copy Blu-ray to BDMV Folder with Leawo Blu-ray Copy
Then, how to copy Blu-ray disc to BDMV folder? We have recommended you Leawo Blu-ray Copy above. Now, follow the below guide to learn the detailed steps on how to copy a Blu-ray disc to BDMV folder without quality loss.
Download and install Leawo Blu-ray Copy on your computer. It’s a built-in module in Leawo Prof. Media. Insert your source Blu-ray disc into the Blu-ray drive that is connected to your computer.
Step 1: Add source Blu-ray disc
Kick off Leawo Prof. Media and then click the “Copy” module on the menu bar. You then will be guided to the Blu-ray Copy module.
On the “Copy” interface, click the “Add Blu-ray/DVD” button and then select “Add from CD-ROM” option to browse and add source Blu-ray disc from the Blu-ray drive.
Step 2: Choose copy mode
Once the source Blu-ray disc is loaded, you will be provided with 3 different copy modes: Full Movie, Main Movie and Custom Mode. To copy Blu-ray disc to BDMV in 1:1, choose Full Movie mode, which will copy entire source Blu-ray disc to BDMV folder. You could choose “Main Movie” mode if you only need to copy the main movie (by default the longest title) from source Blu-ray disc, or “Custom Mode” to freely choose which movie title(s) to copy. At the bottom left corner, choose BD-50 or BD25 as output disc type since you need to copy Blu-ray disc to BDMV folder.
Step 3: More Blu-ray disc to BDMV folder copy settings
Then, click the big green “Copy” button. On the popup sidebar, choose “Folder” under the “Copy to” option, give output BDMV folder a name in “Disc Label”, and then set output directory to save output BDMV folder in the “Save to” box.
Step 4: Start copying Blu-ray disc to BDMV folder
Finally, click the bottom “Copy” button to start copying Blu-ray disc to BDMV folder within leawo Blu-ray Copy. You then could view the entire copy process until it ends.
Extension: Introduction to Blu-ray Structure and How to Play BDMV Folder?
What is Blu-ray structure?
A Blu-ray disc consists of a certain structure, that means as long as a folder is a Blu-ray folder, same kind of files or folders can be find in the folder. But what does a Blu-ray folder look like? What is in a Blu-ray folder?
The below are the basic structure and files included in BDMV folder:
- AACS: A directory file. It contains disc level content certificates and media key block data.
- BDMV: A directory file. It contains basically all the meaningful content of the disc.
- AUXDATA: A directory containing assorted disc-specific metadata.
- BACKUP: A directory containing subdirs with backup copies of certain small content. Like .BUP files on DVDs.
- BDJO: A directory containing BD-J objects, on discs that use BD-J.
- CLIPINF: A directory containing metadata files for the M2TS streams in the STREAM subdir.
- JAR: A directory containing JAR (Java archive) files other than the BD-J content. (JAR is basically ZIP with some extra metadata.)
- META: A directory containing subdirectories with a metadata XML file, and sometimes thumbnail images, depending on who did the authoring.
- PLAYLIST: A directory containing binary playlist files, which describe the playback program chains. Some studios use playlists to implement seamless branching (Disney loves to do this, especially with their animated movies, subbing in language-specific segments for opening titles, credits, etc.).
- STREAM: A directory containing the actual audio/video streams, in MPEG-2 transport stream format.
- index.bdmv: A metadata file containing an index of the titles.
- MovieObject.bdmv: Some sort of object metadata file describing the movie(s) on the disc.
- BDSVM: A directory, contains BD+ virtual machine metadata. (BD+ is an additional content security mechanism, favored largely by Fox, which runs an abstract virtual machine to transform stream data at runtime to make the video watchable.)
- CERTIFICATE: A directory, contains security certificates that the application(s) on the disc use, including occasionally revocation lists and such.
In fact, most Blu-ray can be stored as BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders. BDMV is a similar file format which is a container format for multiplexing audio and video. However video and audio are handled differently on commercial BDMV (Blu-ray Disc Movie) discs than on the recordable Blu-Ray discs sold for home computer use, most media player can't directly play the BDMV Folder due to the copy protection.
How to Play BDMV Folder?
How to play back BDMV folder on your computer directly? Actually, BDMV folder requires special Blu-ray player for playback. Not all media players on your computer could play back BDMV folders, especially those copy-protected BDMV folders. Fortunately, you get a a free Blu-ray player tool - Leawo Blu-ray Player, a totally free Blu-ray media player that could play back Blu-ray, DVD, up to 4K HD videos, audios, and even ISO image files directly.
Leawo Blu-ray Player is a region-free Blu-ray player that could play back Blu-ray movie files from disc, BDMV folder and ISO image file, regardless of Blu-ray disc protection and region restrictions. There are 3 steps to play BDMV folder with it:
Step 1: Download and install Leawo Blu-ray Player on computer.
Step 2: Open Leawo Blu-ray Player.
Step 3: Click on the “Open file” button to browse BDMV folder for playback.
After loading source media files, you could click the “playlist” button to open the playlist panel and see all loaded media files.