PS4, known as PlayStation 4, is a wonderful home video game console designed by Sony Interactive Entertainment. Besides, as PS4 has installed the Blu-ray disc drive, which is exclusively made for the Blu-ray disc player, so that it can deliver the unexpected handsome video quality (those “Mastered in 4K” discs look particularly marvelous) and rich sound. Undoubtedly, using the same processor used to play visually intense games, PS4 is one of the faster Blu-ray players you can buy. What is more, PS4 can access to basically every streaming app ever, so if you use it as a Blu-ray player, you can even use it to stream everything else. Recently, one of the questions people around me are concerned about “PS4 won’t play Blu-ray”. In the following article, we will list all the possible factors that would cause PS4 to fail to play a Blu-ray disc and the possible solutions to them.
Below we have listed out all the possible factors that make PS4 won’t play Blu-ray.
Why PS4 won’t play Blu-rays
1. PS4 won’t play Blu-ray: Encryption key needs to be renewed.
An encryption key is a random string of bits, which is created for scrambling and unscrambling data. To play commercial Blu-Ray movies and access some features on Blu-Ray discs, the encryption code is needed. If PS4 won’t play Blu-ray, it is time for you to get your system updated.
2. Blu ray won’t play: The region code on the Blu-ray disc doesn’t match the one on the PS4.
As we all know, DVD region codes exist in almost all commercial Blu-ray disc while Blu-ray region code is a bit lax than for DVDs. And the PS4 is region-locked for multimedia content such as Blu-ray or DVD disc. When you find PS4 Blu ray won’t play, it could be owning to the region code on Blu-ray or DVD disc, which differs from the region code setting on your PS4.
3. Blu ray won’t play: Something wrong with the Blu-ray laser.
Thankfully, we have got some solutions for you to try based on what you think is best to solve the problem:Blu ray won’t play. But if you’ve tried both steps above and your console still isn’t able to read Blu-ray discs, your console needs to come in for a professional check. Sometime, because of the malfunction of laser diode in the PS4 Blu ray, it will fail to read any disc. When you notice a circular scratch on the disc, it may mean that there is some physical damage to the PS4 laser lens.
To avoid further damage, it is wise to ask professional help, you can follow this link to setup a service case through WebRMA: https://scea.secure.force.com/service
Above, we have present several answers to the question why PS4 won’t play Blu-ray. To help you solve the problem “Blu ray won’t play” effectively, we also recommend you some good solutions. Check out below how we do it.
Renew PS4 encryption key to play Blu-ray on PS4
1．How to renew encryption key on the PS4 with and without internet?
When Blu ray won’t play, try to renew security encryption. Below I will show you two useful methods.
Renew encryption key on the PS4 system software over the Internet connection.
Here’s something you should note before starting the update process.
- 1. You are supposed not to turn off your PS4, remove or insert a USB drive, or eject or insert a game disc during the process.
- 2. Make sure PS4 is connected to the Internet successfully.
- 3. The system software becomes corrupted if the update process does not complete.
Here’s how to update the PS4 software
- 1. Turn on the PS4 without any disc.
- 2. Go to the function screen, scroll to “Settings”, select “System Update”, and highlight “Update via Internet”, press the X button at the end.
- 3. To complete the upgrade process, all you need to do is to follow the on-screen instructions, which is really easy.
Renew encryption key on the PS4 system software without the Internet connection
- 1. Make sure the USB flash drive has at least 168MB of free space before you begin.
- 2. Make sure there is not any disc in the PS4.
- 1. Insert the USB flash drive into the open USB port of your computer.
- 2. Then you will notice a USB flash drive icon at the bottom right of your computer in a second. Click “Start,” and select “Computer” to open it. Then you can find it appear under “Devices with Removable Storage.”
- 3. Double-click the USB flash drive, right-click on an empty area, click “New”>> “Folder” to create a brand new folder. In the end, name it as “UPDATE,” then press the Enter key.
- 4. Go to the website: PlayStation.com and download the latest version of the PS4 system software, and save it in the “UPDATE” folder you made a few minutes ago.
- 5. After the download is completed successfully, remove the USB flash drive from the computer, and insert it into the USB port on the front of the PS4.
- 6. Then just follow the almost similar steps with internet. Go to the function screen, scroll to “Settings”, select “System Update”.
- 7. Highlight “Update via Storage Media” instead of “Update via Internet”, press the X button at the end to confirm your choice.
- 8. Last but not least, the interface will display a message telling you that a new update has been detected and found. Press X to install the update.
In fact, nowadays, there are some people searching the internet, to figure out the way to change the region restriction of PS4 hardware, so that they could feel free to play any region code Blu-ray. However, it is complicated and time wasting to do such a job. It is said to play a Blu-ray disc on a PS4 with different region codes, the only way is to rip the Blu-ray disc region codes for PS4.
How to make a region-free copy of a Blu-ray disc to play on PS4?
To make a region-free copy of a Blu-ray disc to play on PS4, try the professional Blu-ray copy software, the Leawo Blu-ray Copy. Leawo Blu-ray Copy is the copy and backup software program that has multiple advantages on backup Blu-ray discs without quality loss. Apart from Blu-ray disc, you can also use the program to copy Blu-ray folder, ISO image file, 4K Blu-ray and DVD.
- 1. Insert original Blu-ray disc and launch the Leawo Blu-ray Copy on your computer.
- 2. Directly select Blu-ray drive for importing by clicking the inverted drop-down arrow button next to the “Add Blu-ray/DVD” button.
- 3. Then you can find the movie shown in the interface. Select BD-50 as output disc type if your original Blu-ray disc is a BD50 disc, select BD-25 if your original Blu-ray disc is a BD25 disc. If the original disc is BD50 and you only have a BD25 Blu-ray disc, you can also compress BD50 to BD25. Select the second option, the “Full Movie” that lies at the bottom of the left processing list.
- 4. Click the big green “Copy” button and then finish related burning settings on the popup sidebar according to your own needs. You can check the Folder or ISO image option to copy the Blu-ray movie to your computer first. Or when you have two Blu-ray drives, you can connect the second one to your computer, put a rewritable disc in it, select it from the drop-down menu of the third option and have the original Blu-ray movie directly copy to a new disc. If you choose Folder or ISO file, set the output directory in the Save to box. Click Copy to start the copy process.
Blu-ray Copy video tutorial:
In fact, there is another good method for you when you find Blu ray won’t play. Why not rip your Blu-ray movie to MP4 and then you’d be able to watch them in PS4? Let’s learn how to rip Blu-ray to MP4 to play on PS4.
How to rip Blu-ray to MP4 to play on PS4?
All we need is the best and most wonderful Blu-ray ripping software, the Leawo Blu-ray Ripper, which can help users rip Blu-ray movie to videos like MP4, MKV and even the high definition HD MP4, HD MKV, etc. with fast speed and excellent quality. Thus, users are able to enjoy Blu-ray movie on their portable devices freely, too. Apart from that, with this amazing program, Blu-ray ripping software, you are able to extract audio files from Blu-ray and convert them to audio formats you love. Check out below to find out how to rip Blu-ray to MP4 to play on PS4.
1. Download and launch the software. Click Blu-ray Ripper from the main interface, or click “Convert” on the sub-menu to open Blu-ray Ripper.
2. Place your Blu-ray disc in your Blu-ray drive, so you have the source Blu-ray files imported to the Blu-ray Ripper. Then directly drag and drop the file into the converting panel. After you have selected the Blu-ray content, you are supposed to choose the video you actually need. In general, there are 3 options available: Full Movie is to import all titles, Main Movie is to import the longest title by default while Custom Mode is to freely choose titles.
3. Then, you can get the video shown in the video list. To set your output profile, click “MP4 Video” >”Change”>”Profile”, then you will be given the chance to choose either video/audio format or mobile device as output profile under “Format” or “Device” group. In fact, according to your own need, you are free to select various video/audio formats and device models available for selection.
4. You can also set video and audio parameters by clicking “MP4 Video” > “Edit”, which could be completed in just a few seconds.
5. After profile settings, click the green “Convert” to set the output path for the videos you are ripping in the “Save to” box. And then you can start the ripping process by clicking the “Convert” at the bottom of sidebar to start conversion process
Leawo Blu-ray Ripper video tutorial:
As we all know, PS4 Blu ray player are both excellent tools for playing Blu-ray movies, which offer a ton of features with room for expansion. Therefore, if you fail to get the PS4 encryption key renewed, it is not a bad alternative for watching the Blu-ray movie on your PS4.