“Hi, I was looking for a free video converter to convert some of my WMV videos to MP4 so that I can play them on my Android phone. I found Handbrake online but I’ve never used it before. Can anyone give me a quick guide to using this program to convert WMV to MP4?”
If you are in need of a simple and easy to use video converter to convert videos for you, then Handbrake is absolutely a great choice. It’s powerful and very easy to use. Converting WMV to MP4 with Handbrake is easy, it’ll take you just few seconds to learn how to use it. Other than simply converting WMV to MP4 with Handbrake, there are actually a lot more things you can do with Handbrake. For example, you can use handbrake to crop your video, change its resolution, use a new codec, add audio track and subtitles to it, etc. And Handbrake supports a handful of other video formats.
All the input and output formats Handbrake supports
Input source: common multimedia formats (including but not limited to MKV, MP4, WMV, TS, M2TS), Blu-ray, unencrypted DVD-like files(DVD disc, DVD folder and ISO image).
- Output container formats: MP4, M4V, MKV.
- Video encoders: H.264, H.265(x265)MPEG-4 and MPEG-2(libav), VP8(libvpx) and Theora(libtheora)
- Audio encoders: AAC, CoreAudio AAC/HE-AAC(OS X only),AC3, MP3, FLAC or Vorbis
- Supported audio pass-thru: AC-3, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC and MP3 tracks
- Supported subtitles: SRT, SSA, Closed Captions, VOBSub
How to Convert WMV to MP4 with Handbrake
To convert WMV to MP4 handbrake has a lot of preset profiles for you to choose from. Some of those presets are made for Apple devices. If you don’t feel like using those presets, you can directly choose MP4 as the default output format. Here’s how to use Handbrake to convert WMV to MP4.
1. Start Handbrake after installing it on your computer. To import the WMV videos you want to convert to the program, click the Source button on the top row of buttons and then click either File to import a single WMV video or Folder to import a video folder.
2. You can set the output format in the Container option box. There are two formats you can choose from: MP4 and MKV. It’s usually MP4 by default when you open the program for the first time.
3. The output path is under the Destination label. Click the Browse button next to the File option box to set where you want to save the output video in and name the file.
4. If you like, you can change the parameters of the video in the Output Settings area. Parameters you can change include but not limited to: resolution, video codec, framerate, audio codec, bitrate.
5. To start the conversion, simply click on the green Start button next to the Source button mentioned in the first step. When the conversion is done, you can find the output MP4 video in the folder you previously chose.
With handbrake WMV to MP4 conversion can be done easily. As you can see, there’s not much thing you need to do when converting WMV to MP4 with Handbrake. The process is fairly simple.
How to use a Handbrake alternative to convert WMV to MP4
Handbrake is a great choice for converting WMV to MP4. But it won’t hurt to look around and find a nice alternative when you need your video converter to do more things than simply converting WMV to MP4. Alternatively, you can try Leawo Video Converter. It can also easily convert WMV to MP4 and it’s also easy-to-use. And it has way more features than Handbrake and allows you to do more things when converting WMV to MP4. It’s got a built-in video editor that allows you to trim, crop your video, add watermark, adjust video parameters like brightness, contrast, saturation and even add 3D effects to your 2D WMV video. It also supports more input and output formats. So why don’t you give this a try and see which one’s more suitable for you?
The instructions below are for learning how to use Leawo Video Converter as an alternative to Handbrake to convert WMV to MP4. Here’s something you should know about Leawo Video Converter. It’s now inside a software package called Prof. Media, but nothing else about this video converter changes.
1. As is mentioned above, Leawo Video Converter is inside Prof. Media, so open Prof.Media and open Leawo Video Converter from it by clicking the Video Converter tab.
2. Add the WMV videos you need to convert to the converter. You can drag and drop your video files to the blank area of the program, the files will be added to the conversion list automatically. You can also use the Add Video button to import your video files.
3. The default output format is shown on the button that sits on the left side of the big Convert button. It will show MP4 by default. If it isn’t MP4, here’s how to change it. Click on this button and a menu with 3 buttons will appear. Click Change and it will take you to the Profile page where you can change the default output format. Find MP4 from the provided formats and click on it. It will set MP4 as the default output format and take you back to the main interface.
4. if you’d like to customize the parameters of the video like you did with Handbrake, here’s how you can do it with Leawo Video Converter. Click that Format button mentioned in the previous step and click Edit. You can see that the program offers you with a bunch of parameters for adjusting. Change the parameters as you see fit and click OK to return to the main interface when you are done. You can also edit the video with the built-in video editor. If you need, check out this link and see how to edit a video with Leawo Video Converter.
5. Click the Convert button on the top right-corner of the file list and a sidebar would pop up from the right side of the interface. On it you will see the default output directory as well as the Convert button for starting the conversion. Change the output path by clicking the “…” button right next to the output path box. And click the Convert button to start the WMV to MP4 conversion.
With Handbrake convert WMV to MP4 would be just a piece of cake. Also you can go with Leawo Video Converter, a great alternative to Handbrake if you need more things out of a video converter. With Leawo Video Converter, you can convert your videos and audio files between all kinds of popular formats, you can even use it to compress your videos when your videos are taking up the storage space on your PC’s hard drive.