Recently my friend Eric lost his Samsung S7 and I suggested that the new delivered Smart phone Google Pixel XL might be a good choice for him to change his new cell phone. Finally he took my advice but a few days later he complained to me about the problem that he couldn't play his MKV movies on his new phone.
I believe that more than one person has such issue about play MKV on Google Pixel. Today in this post, I will show you the solution about how to watch MKV on Google Pixel.
- Part 1: Know about Google Pixel and its supported formats
- Part 2: Best MKV to Google Pixel Converter-Leawo Video Converter
- Part 3: How to convert MKV to Google Pixel supported format with Leawo Video Converter?
- Part 4: How to convert MKV to Google Pixel video for free with online free video converter
- Part 5: How to convert MKV video to Google Pixel video via extension renaming
- Extension: The best MKV player to play MKV videos on Google Pixel
Part 1: Know about Google Pixel and its supported formats
Google Pixel is a line of consumer electronic devices pushed out by Google in 2013 which includes the Pixel C tablet, Chromebook laptop and the Pixel smart phones. Just like Apple, Google Pixel also has a very limited support for video formats. If you are a Pixel user you will find that Google Pixel XL (Smart phone) only can play MP4 videos and Google Pixel C (tablet) support MP4, WMV, FLV and 3GP, which means that neither Pixel Smart phone nor tablet can play MKV freely.
So here comes the question: How to play MKV on Google Pixel devices? You have 2 ways to solve it. One method is to download a Google Pixel MKV player which can play MKV on Google Pixel like MX Player, but there is a problem that if your MKV videos is too large to adapt to phone or tablet, Google Pixel MKV player might not give you best video experience. The other method is to use MKV to Google Pixel converter to convert MKV to another formats supported by Google Pixel. In the next part I will introduce a video converter to you so that you can convert your MKV videos.
Part 2: Best MKV to Google Pixel Converter-Leawo Video Converter
The most efficient video converter I suggest you use is Leawo Video Converter, one of the most popular converters in the world, and it is also a professional MKV to Google Pixel converter program which supports more than 180 different formats including MP4, AVI, FLV, MKV, WMV, 3GP etc. That's the reason why I think it is the best choice to help you convert MKV to Google Pixel. In addition, it can satisfy the video conversion needs for various formats and devices. After converting, you can enjoy your MKV movies on Apple devices, Android devices, media players, 3D display devices, etc. Moreover, it provides you with rich video editing features. And it converts MKV to Google Pixel without quality loss. So don't worry about that the output video will destroy the experience for watching on Google Pixel.
Part 3: How to convert MKV to Google Pixel supported format with Leawo Video Converter?
According to the above part we can figure out that some video formats can be played on the Google Pixel, therefore, you just need to convert MKV to any other format which is supported by Google Pixel. As you can see, Leawo Video Converter is a powerful video converter that can help you to converter MKV to other formats, of course including MP4, WMV, FLV and 3GP. So in this part I will choose MP4, one format of them, to show you how to convert MKV to Google Pixel. First you need to download and install Leawo Video Converter on your computer first. The download buttons are listed below
Step 1: Import source MKV video files
Open Leawo Video Converter to enter the main program interface, importing source MKV video files and choosing the target video by clicking the "Add Video" button.
Step 2: Set MP4 as output format
Commonly MP4 is the default format so you don't need to change output format any more, but if you want to convert MKV to other supported formats you have to click the drop-down box next to the "Add Photo" button and select "Change" option on the list. On the child window, you can set output format form "format" column or just use the searching box to find it.
Step 3: Convert MKV to MP4
Finally, click the green button you can set the output file on the popup sidebar. Click the “Convert” button again.
After it finished the conversion, you will successfully convert MKV to google pixel supported MP4 format. In this case, you can fluently watch MKV movies on google pixel.
Actually, with Leawo Video Converter, you could not only convert between video and audio files like MKV to MP4, MP4 to MP3, MP3 to WAV, etc., but also turn photos into slideshow video like JPG to MP4, create 3D movie from 2D video, edit videos like adding watermark, etc. Leawo Video Converter helps you more than you imagine.
In conclusion, it is not complicated to convert MKV to Google Pixel with Leawo Video Convert. You just need a very simple procedure not more 3 steps to obtain a high-quality converted video which can be played on your Google Pixel. To tell the truth, you can hardly find such a convenient and multifunctional video converter like Leawo Video Converter to assist you in video conversion without spending your money.
Part 4: How to convert MKV to Google Pixel video for free with online free video converter
You could also try to use free online MKV converter to convert MKV video for Google Pixel phones. Most online MKV converters are free of charge, though there might be various limitations like file size limitation, file quantity limitation, etc. Here we have found a wonderful free online MKV converter that could help you convert MKV files to video for Google Pixel phones without charge. That’s Online-Convert.com, a comprehensive free online media converter combo that could convert video, audio and image files online for totally free.
Follow the below steps to learn how to convert MKV videos for Google Pixel phone with this free online MKV video converter.
1. Open the subsite https://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp4 since Google Pixel phone accepts MP4 video. You need to convert MKV video files to MP4 format with this free online MKV to MP4 converter.
2. Click the "Choose Files" button to browse and upload MKV video files from your local drive. If your MKV files are stored on cloud service like DropBox or Google Drive, you could also open corresponding options to load them. Or directly copy the video URL and click the "Enter URL" button to convert online video via URL.
3. After uploading source MKV video files, you could directly click the "Start Conversion" button to directly convert MKV video to MP4 file for free with this free online MKV to MP4 converter.
4. Or, you could also set the output video parameters like screen size, video bit rate, file size, audio track, audio quality, audio codec, frame rate, etc. under the "Optional Settings". Then, click the bottom "Start Conversion" button.
5. Once the conversion completes, you will be provided with a download link to download converted MKV files to your computer. Just set an output directory to save the converted MKV videos and download to your computer.
This free online video converter could help you easily convert videos between various formats as Leawo Video Converter does. However, you need to keep this in mind that this free online video converter has limitation upon source file size. Generally speaking, most online video converter tools will limit the source file to be less than 50M.
Part 5: How to convert MKV video to Google Pixel video via extension renaming
Some people have tried to convert MKV video to Google Pixel video by changing the file extension directly and this did work sometimes. The operation is quite simple. The point is that sometimes you may see no extension. Just follow the below steps:
1. If you can't see the file extension on Windows 7, open Windows Explorer and click on the Organize button towards the top left. Then choose Folder and Search Options, then click the View tab. Uncheck the box titled "Hide extensions for known file types". Then, click "OK" button. Now you should see the file extension.
2. It's simple to turn file extensions on and off in Windows 8. Simply open a File Explorer window (the new name for Windows Explorer) and click the View tab.
3. Open the File Explorer by clicking on the Windows Start button and selecting the File Explorer icon as shown below. Click the View tab in File Explorer and then click the Options button (or click the drop down menu and click Change folder and search options). The Folder Options dialog box is displayed. Click the View tab at the top of Folder Options. To view file extensions, uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types option. Then click "OK" button.
After you could see the file extension, just right click the file name and select Rename (or left-click and hold down the button for one second) to adjust file extension. Simply change the .mkv to .mp4.
However, this method might fail you since it only changes the file extension but no encoding. If your source MKV files are encoded with mp4 encoder, it would be fine. If not, your Google Pixel will not recognize the files either.
Extension: The best MKV player to play MKV videos on Google Pixel
Actually, to play MKV files on Google Pixel, there is another way. That's to install a video player that is compatible with MKV files on your Google Pixel. Here we would like to recommend you VLC media player for Android.
VLC media player is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player that plays most multimedia files as well as discs, devices, and network streaming protocols. VLC for Android can play any video and audio files, as well as network streams, network shares and drives, and DVD ISOs, like the desktop version of VLC. VLC for Android is a full audio player as well, with a complete database, an equalizer and filters, playing all weird audio formats.
VLC is intended for everyone, is totally free, has no ads, no in-app-purchases, no spying and is developed by passionate volunteers. All the source code is available for free.