iPhone is generally reckoned to be a powerful smartphone which is not susceptible to system error. However, some users have been asking in forums: my iPhone won’t turn off, what can I do? Your iPhone might be frozen due to overloaded apps, malicious attack or other unexpected reasons. What if your iPhone won’t turn off? How can you fix this problem? This post is writing to offer some solutions to work it around, please be patient to read.
How to Fix iPhone won’t Turn off
There are many factors making iPhone frozen, below are several possible solutions to this issue. Give the solutions below a shot before you resort to Apple support center which should be your very last choice.
Solution 1: Bypass a Faulty Button
If your iPhone won’t turn off with faulty Sleep/Wake button, you’re allowed to power it off through the settings. Tap Settings>General>Accessibility>AssistiveTouch, then activate AssistiveTouch. Next, tap on the AssistiveTouch icon, followed by Device. Press and hold Lock Screen until you see Slide to power off slider.
Solution 2. Quit a Faulty App
Supposing that the phone is not responsive due to an annoying app, you may try this way to close it. By tapping the Home Button twice, you can see the list of apps that are active and close them by swiping up.
Solution 3. Hardware Reset
If your iPhone is not responding, you can force to restart your iPhone to close those troublesome apps or wrong settings on the iPhone. Follow the steps to turn off your iPhone:
- 1. Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons (iPhone7 and 7 Plus: press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons) for about ten seconds until the slider appears.
- 2. Drag the slider to power off your iPhone.
- 3. After the device turns off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again to reboot the phone.
Solution 4. Software Reset
Leveraging iTunes would be another possible way to fix the problem of failing to power off iPhone without data loss. Follow the steps to get it done:
- 1. Launch the latest iTunes on your computer and connect the iPhone to PC.
- 2. Click on your iPhone name to go to Summary.
- 3. Under Backups, click This computer>Back Up Now .
- 4. Go to your iPhone to tap Setting>General>Reset>Reset All Settings and confirm when prompted. The iPhone will restart without any customized settings.
- 5. Return to the Summary page in iTunes and click Restore Backup to get them back.
Solution 5. Restore to factory settings
If the previous 4 ways can’t resolve your problem, you may try restoring your iPhone to factory settings.
- 1. iTunes on your computer and connect your iPhone.
- 2. Click on your iPhone name>Sync in the lower right.
- 3. Under Summary tab, click Restore iPhone>Back Up>Restore and Update.
- 4. When iPhone restarts, follow the prompts to reconfigure it and select Restore from iTunes Backup.
How to Recover Lost Data from iPhone without Backup
If your iPhone can’t turn off, it’s possible that it would bring other problems like data loss to your device. If you have backup in iTunes or iCloud, fortunately, you can restore the missing files from backup. If you happen to have no periodic backup, you should turn to a credible 3rd-party program for iOS data recovery.
Leawo iOS Data Recovery is a powerful data retrieval program for iOS device to recover data from iOS device itself, iTunes and iCloud backup. There are in total of 9 types of data you can retrieve directly from iOS device:Camera Roll, Messages, Message Attachments, Contacts, Call History, Notes, Calendar, Safari Bookmark and Voice Memos. If you haven’t backed up your device using iTunes or iCloud before while you lose all the data on your iPhone, here’s how you can retrieve certain types of data on your iPhone directly from the device itself using Leawo iOS Data Recovery.
1. First you’ll need to download and install the program on your PC. Open it and you would see 3 tabs on the interface, click on Recover from iOS Device and connect your iPhone to PC via USB cable.
2. On the following device list, select your iPhone and click Start and the program would start to scan your device thoroughly.
3. When the program’s done scanning, the aforesaid 9 types of data would be shown on the left side. Click on each type of the data to choose the exact files you’d like to recover to your iPhone. When finish choosing files, click the Recover button at the bottom right to call out a pop-up.
4. The files you’ve chosen to be recovered to your iPhone would be saved to your computer as well so you’ll need to set directory for the backup those files on the pop-up. And then click Go at the bottom of the pop-up to start recovering data to your iPhone.
iPhone is famous for its stable performance during usage, but it’s still possible that bugs would appear and cause unexpected issues. If the methods above fail to solve the “iPhone won’t turn off” issue, you should probably resort to Apple Support for help.