Have you ever encountered the unknown iTunes error -54 when you are trying to sync your iPhone with iTunes? If yes, then take more time to read this article. As we all know, iTunes sometimes may have errors when we intend to restore, sync or backup iPhone data. One of the most famous and notorious one is iTunes error -54 that occurs when syncing music or pictures on an iOS device with iTunes. How to solve the iTunes error -54 issue? Hereby, this helpful article will tell you a few possible causes of iTunes error -54 and some ways to fix iTunes sync error -54.
Possible Causes of iTunes Error 54
Below are several possible causes of iTunes error 54.
- 1. The iTunes is not the latest version.
- 2. iTunes isn’t downloaded or installed properly. In other words, it could either be a corrupt download or incomplete installation.
- 3. There may be the reasons that iTunes related program files have got deleted or damaged by accident.
- 4. The operating system of Windows or Mac is not the latest one or it has affected by virus or malware infection.
How to Fix iTunes Error 54
1. Updata iTunes
Download or upgrade the latest iTunes version at the Apple website. The outdated version of iTunes may fail to recognize the newer hardware and have cause error 54.
- 1. To update iTunes on Windows, open iTunes and click Help>Check for Updates on the menu bar.
- 2. To update iTunes on Mac OS, open iTunes and click iTunes>Check for Updates.
2. Update the Operating System of your PC
Download and Install the latest version of Windows or Mac OS X to get rid of iTunes error -54. In some case, older Windows or Mac OS X programs could arise a conflict between platforms, which might happen between iTunes and iPhone interface causing iTunes error 54.
3. Update iOS
Upgrade iPhone to latest iOS operating system. Turn on iPhone, tap the screen, go to Settings>General>Software Update to download it.
4. Delete and re-download the software or content
If iTunes error -54 is caused by any content or software downloaded from iTunes Store, then delete and re-download them all again directly to your iPhone. Make sure you download the software and content from authorized website or App store.
5. Change or re-install the security software
Make sure the third-party security software is compatible with iPhone. A third-party program, including your anti-virus program, may affect the sync process in iPhone. You are supposed to change or re-install the security software and then try syncing your devices.
6. Remove the PDF files from sync process
iTunes error 54 may occur if you’re trying to transfer iTunes purchases like PDF from iPhone to your computer. Therefore you can send the PDF file to your computer via email and delete it in your iPhone.
7. Fix iTunes error 54 in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10
This method can be applied to Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. Follow the instructions below to see how to fix iTunes error -54 in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10
- Step 1: On your computer, open Windows Explorer>Music folder and right click on the iTunes folder and select Properties.
- Step 2: Then there will be a pop-up window about Properties, you are supposed to uncheck the Read Only Option (Only applies to files in folder) under Attributes and click OK to confirm the changes.
- Step 3: After a window appears, from where you should choose “Apply changes to this folder, sub folder and files” and click on “OK”.
How to Recover Data from iOS Device when Encounter Data Loss on iPhone
This iTunes error 54 tend to occur when you sync iPhone to iTunes, sometimes you may encounter data loss due to this error. If data loss did happen to you, here’s a great program for you to retrieve lost data from your iPhone.
Leawo iOS Data Recovery is a useful data recovery program designed specifically for iOS devices to retrieve lost data. With it you can easily recover lost data from 3 different sources: iPhone itself, iTunes and iCloud backup. You can use it to recover in total of 14 different types of data: Contacts, Messages, Call History, WhatsApp, Calendar, Notes, Reminders, Safari Bookmarks, Camera Roll, Photo Stream, Photo Library, Message Attachments, Voice Memos and WhatsApp Attachments.
In the content below you can find instructions for recovering data from iOS device using Leawo iOS Data Recovery.
1. Download the program and install it in your computer. Open it and then on the interface, click Recover from iOS Device.
2. Connect your iPhone to your computer with a USB cable, and the program would detect and recognize it. When it does, click the Start button to let the program start scanning your device.
3. After the program finishes scanning your device, it’ll list the data on your iPhone in the left column. To have the program display the deleted items only, check Only display the deleted items. Select the deleted items you want to recover and click the Recover button.
4. After clicking the Recover button, a popup would appear in the center of the program. Click the Open button on it to select a folder to store the files you are about to recover. And then click Go to start recovering your lost data.
When using iTunes to backup, restore or sync iPhone, user may come across a lot of different issues from time to time. Sometimes fixing iTunes error -54 seems a little difficult because it is hard to find which files cause this problem. And it seems what we can do is limited. At this moment, we have to be calm down. Then, try each of the methods we have recommended one by one. I am sure your problem could be solved later.