As one of the most influential media products in the last century, DVD discs and DVD players have great impacts on people’s daily life in the aspect of obtaining joy. Even though nowadays the digital media contents are more easily obtained by downloading from the Internet, in some special cases, DVD discs and standalone DVD players are still occupying its dominant place, such as for some business purposes. However, it is not always smooth in using DVD. Recently, some users frequently reflect that their DVD players could only present the pictures in black and white. This is quite annoyed by most people, which may directly prevent them from enjoying a wonderful movie or a video. Why is my DVD playing in black and white? This is the main topic to be discussed in the following article.
Part 1: Why is My DVD Playing in Black and White
Why does my DVD play in black and white? What are the main symptoms and reasons for this problem? Usually, this problem commonly happens when you try to play DVD discs on a new DVD player, or on some occasions that you have changed the settings of the DVD players and output TVs. When you are ready to play the DVD disc, you come to find that you are accessible to both the sound and picture. However, the pictures showed are only in black and white. It is quite undoubted that the movie disc that you have bought is not in black and white. Then a conclusion may draw then, something went wrong. Generally, the main causes of the problem are included in the following aspects.
1. The incorrect TV and DVD broadcast formats. NTSC and PAL are two of the world’s major TV broadcast formats, but they vary depending on how often the system projects color images. NTSC is the abbreviation of National Television System Committee. Its standard is mainly used in Japan, the United States, Canada, Mexico, etc. PAL is the abbreviation of Phase Alternating Line, which is mainly used in China, Hong Kong, Middle East and Europe. These two systems are not compatible with each other. If you play NTSC on a PAL TV, the picture will turn black and white, as will the NTSC system.
2. Incorrect cabling. If the image connected to the DVD player turns black and white, then check if the connection to the TV is correct. If only three wires are connected, then it is connected to the normal AV interface. Now there are video components behind the digital HD TV. Interface, connecting component interface requires five lines, three-component videos and two audio lines to watch normally. If the image suddenly turns black and white during the viewing process, it may be faulty.
3. The backlight of the TV screen is abnormal or broken. This is the exterior cause of this problem. If the backlight of the output TV is out of order, then it would have great effects on the picture color.
4. Objective factors, like whether and connection signal. If the weather is too humid, the physical conditions of the TV and DVD player will be changed and some of the important spare parts may run out of order.
Part 2: How to Solve the Issue
By referring to the above reasons for the black and white DVD pictures, some of the solutions can be given accordingly. But the ways to solve the problem why does my DVD player play in black and white. Here, let’s figure out the question respectively.
1. Since there are currently two types of formats (PAL and NTSC), the above problems occur if the format of the DVD and the system of the TV are incompatible. If it is falling to this group, then you should confirm the TV in the system, the TV must be adjusted to the PAL or NTSC system based on the region you are in. When the TV system is also selected correctly, the DVD is also adjusted to the corresponding standard. First, you should turn the power on, it shows "no disc" status, and press on the panel. Then press "pause" button, lasts for more than 5 seconds, the display window displays PAL, repeat the above operation, you can choose NTSC or AUTO.
2. Connect your DVD to TV correctly. The DVD is connected to the TV AV interface (RCA). There are a total of three (red, white, and yellow) cables. If you connect with a high-definition multimedia cable, there is only one cable. First connect the DVD to the TV with the audio cable and the audio cable . Both the DVD and the TV have an HDMI interface, so you can connect the HDMI interface of the TV and DVD with a high-definition multimedia interface cable (HDMI cable).
In most cases, if your DVD players and DVD discs are all in good conditions, then follow the above two steps, your problem will be fixed immediately. During your spare time, you can learn more on how to protect and clean your scratched DVD discs so that they will not ruin your DVD players too much.
Part 3: Another Way to Avoid Such an Issue – Convert the DVD Disc to Digital File
In comparison to the physical DVD discs and DVD players, digital formats are more popular and commonly welcomed by many users because they are more convenient to be saved and transferred. For your further backup, is it possible to convert the DVD discs to the digital copy so that you can keep it on your hard disk for a longer time? Well, it is positive to solve the problem. But, in order to make an exact copy of the DVD disc, you need to seek help from a third-party program – Leawo DVD Copy. With this tool, you can easily obtain a 100% DVD digital copy of the original DV disc. In such a way, you will not need to worry about complex issues anymore. Just follow the several steps below; you can easily obtain a digital copy of the original DVD disc.
Step 1: Download Leawo DVD Copy and install it on your computer.
Step 2: Insert the DVD disc to the disc drive (internal or external DVD disc drive) on your computer by clicking “Add Blu-ray/DVD” on the top of the main interface.
Step 3: Set the disc types. You can choose from the “Full Movie”, “Main Movie” and “Custom Mode” as well as the disc type.
Step 4: Click the green “Copy” button on the main interface. Then confirm the “Copy to”, “Disc Label” and “Save to” options. In order to get the original copy of the DVD disc, you can choose to save the disc in ISO file, so take a tick in the box before “Folder” and “ISO File”. Once ticked, you can then obtain a new DVD folder and ISO file contain the content on the dual layer DVD disc.
Part 4: How to Play DVD on PC Easily
Instead of spending too much time in figuring out the professional steps, another way to enjoy the excellent DVD content is to play it on your computer. Here, you don’t have to spend a large sum of money buying a DVD player; you only need to prepare a respectable DVD player on PC. Among various DVD players, Leawo DVD Player will be your good option due to its comprehensive features and advanced playing functions. With this player, you can enjoy Blu-ray, DVD, CD and ISO files with ease and accuracy no matter whether they are region code free or commercial. What the most important is that you don’t have to be clear on how to connect with the RCA cable. What you need to do is to insert the DVD disc to the disc drive and then the player will play the disc immediately. For the details, please refer to the steps.
Step 1: Download Leawo Blu-ray Player and install it.
Step 2: Open the player and insert the DVD disc to the disc drive on your computer. Once the disc has been imported, then you can see the movie icon on the main interface. Just click it and then you can play the DVD disc immediately in Leawo Blu-ray Player.
Step 3: Set more player parameters. In order to obtain the customized watching experience, you can have more player settings. You only need to click on the drop-down menu panel on the top right which includes Playback, File Associations, Audio Output, DVD Blu-ray etc.
Part 5: Conclusion
DVD player only plays in black and white when the PAL and NTSC broadcast formats are not set correctly, or the RCA cables are not connected in the right order. If you have no idea about how to solve the problem, then you should learn to convert the DVD disc to digital copy which can be played on your PC without additional settings and RCA cables.