"My iPhone is frozen! It doesn’t respond to any button pushing. I attempted to power it off, but that didn’t work either. I can’t even shut it off. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!"
When you are using a app or playing a game, your iPhone may be suddenly frozen. You have no idea about what to do when your iPhone is frozen. You press the Home button, the Power button, and swipe with your finger. Nothing happens. No worries, in this post, you can learn some reasons causing this issue and several methods to deal with how to fix a frozen iPhone with little effort.
- Part 1: Possible Reasons Why My iPhone is Frozen
- Part 2: Charge Your iPhone for at Least 30 Minutes
- Part 3: Force Restart When Your iPhone is Frozen
- Part 4: Restore Your Frozen iPhone with iTunes
- Part 5: Restore from iCloud Backup When Your iPhone is Frozen
- Part 6: Troubleshoot Your iPhone is Frozen Issue Using iOSFix
Part 1: Possible Reasons Why My iPhone is Frozen
When you find your iPhone is frozen, this case can be quite annoying, and its reasons can be various. Here I would like to list some common ones for iPhone frozen error for your information.
- Low available space. If you have stored lots of songs and video files on your iPhone, the storage capacity of your iPhone will be nearly full, which will lead to the hard functions of your iPhone. iPhone frozen issue can also occur for this reason.
- Improper updates. After you see the new releases of iPhone iOS operating system, you may desire to have a try. However, if the updating process is disturbed by something and you failed to update your iPhone system halfway, your iPhone can sink into the frozen error as well.
- Buggy application. For “my iPhone is frozen” issue, another possible reason is that your iPhone is affected by buggy apps. If this error happens when you are using a specific app, there may be something wrong with this app. You can check to see if there is any updated version of this app or remove it to download the app again. However, if the problem is still there after you reinstall the app, you’d better stop using it any more.
- Low battery. If your iPhone runs out of battery, it is likely to become frozen. You are recommended not use your iPhone when the screen shows the low battery image before you charge it well.
Part 2: Charge Your iPhone for at Least 30 Minutes
It is feasible for you to charge your iPhone for at least 30 minutes to clear off the issue of iPhone is frozen.
- In order to gain the best effect, you are recommended to plug your iPhone directly into a power adapter.
- After a couple of minutes, you will see the charging screen.
- If the charging screen does not show up, you need to check the jack, USB cable and power adapter to ensure everything is plugged in well. You can also try to change another cable or power adapter if it can not work properly.
Part 3: Force Restart When Your iPhone is Frozen
If your iPhone is crashed or frozen, the force reboot solution works well, but it can sometimes cause an unresponsive iPhone with a black screen that appears dead because it isn’t responsive to anything. In this case, you can force restart your iPhone to get rid of this trouble. Here are the steps for restarting the specific iPhone models.
- For iPhone with Face ID (X and up), iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus:
- For iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus:
- For iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE (1st generation), or older models:
Step 1: Press and quickly release the volume up button. Then do the same with the volume down button.
Step 2: Press and hold the side button.
Step 3: Release the side button when you see the Apple logo.
Step 1: Press and hold both the volume down button and the Sleep/Wake button.
Step 2: Release both buttons when the Apple logo shows up.
Step 1: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time.
Step 2: Release both buttons when you see the Apple logo showing up.
Part 4: Restore Your Frozen iPhone with iTunes
Since iOS updates may be another reason that your iPhone is frozen, you could fix the frozen iPhone issue by restoring iPhone. Restoring your iPhone is a time consuming process that you should only undertake if your iPhone is still freezing after you’ve tried the previous methods. The following steps will show you how to fix a frozen iPhone by restoring iPhone with iTunes.
Please note that you need to install the latest version of iTunes on your PC or MAC. Then go to Settings > iCloud to turn off Find My iPhone. Now, the detailed restoring steps are as follows.
- Plug iPhone into the computer with the USB cable. The iTunes on your computer will automatically launch. If not, double-click the icon to start it.
- Navigate to hit on “Preferences > Devices” and select the tab of “Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically” to check on the interface of iTunes.
- Click the name of your iPhone at the upper right corner of iTunes, and then hit on “Settings> Summary”. The information of your iPhone will be shown. Click the “Restore iPhone” button in the window to start.
- iTunes will ask whether you want to back up iPhone before restoring. You’d better choose "Yes" for the reset will erase the contents in your iPhone. Then iTunes will start restoring your iPhone to factory settings.
- Click “Restore” again to confirm. Then iTunes erases your iPhone and installs the latest iOS or iPod software. After you restore your iPhone to factory settings, it will restart. Now you can set it up as new.
Part 5: Restore from iCloud Backup When Your iPhone is Frozen
You can also restore iPhone without iTunes if you want to fix your frozen iPhone. The third-party iPhone data recovery software can help you finish the task within seconds. This software is used for recovering deleted or lost files from iOS devices, extracting data from iTunes and iCloud backups, and the iPhone data recovery software supports all iPhone models. If you have not backed up your iPhone data to iTunes but have an iCloud backup before your iPhone is frozen, you can use this tool to restore your iPhone from iCloud back up at ease. The following guidance will show you how to restore iPhone without iTunes, and you are allowed to free download Leawo iOS Data Recovery to have a try.
Step 1: Download Leawo iOS Data Recovery
Choose the proper version, then download and install iOS Data Recovery on your computer.
- Recover lost or deleted data from iOS devices, iTunes backup and iCloud backup
- Retrieve files from iTunes and iCloud backup even for lost or broken iOS devices
- Restore 12 types of data, including photos, videos, SMS & MMS messages, contacts, call history, notes, calendar, etc.
- Fully support all iPhone, iPad and iPod touch models
- 100% safe, accurate and speedy recovery
- User-friendly interface and simple operations
Step 2: Choose recovery mode
Fire up Leawo iOS Data Recovery. Connect iPhone to computer with USB, and click the Start button. To recover data from iCloud backup, first hit on “Recover from iCloud Backup” option on the main interface.
Step 3: Log on iCloud
In the next interface, you need to use your Apple ID that you have used on your iPhone to log into iCloud.
Step 4: Download iCloud backup
Leawo iOS Data Recovery would then show all available iCloud backups in your Apple account. You need to select the right one and then click the yellow “Download” button at the bottom right corner.
Step 5: Choose files to recover
Then, after downloading iCloud backup, the tool will show all data and files stored in this iCloud backup to you in different categories. You can preview and choose data and files for restoring to your iPhone. If you would like to restore deleted items, you could check “Only display the deleted items” to save your time. After choosing your target files, click “Recover” button at the bottom right corner.
Step 6: Restore data and file from iCloud backup when your iPhone is frozen
Click “Open” in the pop-up dialog to choose a target folder on your computer to save the files. Then click “Go” to start exporting files from iCloud backup to computer.
When the recovery process is done, you will get the exported in the target folder. The files will be saved in viewable types. Leawo iOS Data Recovery makes it easy for you to restore iPhone without iTunes when your iPhone is frozen.
Part 6: Troubleshoot Your iPhone is Frozen Issue Using iOSFix
Leawo iOSFix is a wonderful tool to fix nearly all kinds of iOS errors such as stuck in boot loop, stuck in recovery mode, stuck on verifying update screen, etc. sitting at home. Note that it can only fix software issue on your iPhone. If your iPhone is in a hardware issue, you have better contact Apple for help. You can try this software for free as Leawo iOSFix allows you to have a free try to make use of all its functions. This program will not tamper with your iPhone data, which is secure and reliable to apply. You can now follow these simple steps shown below for better usage.
Step 1: Download and install Leawo iOSFix
Navigate to the official website of Leawo iOSFix to download a suitable version of it. Install it on your computer to prepare for fixing iPhone frozen issue.
- Fix 50+ iOS/tvOS issues on iPhone, iPad, iPod or Apple TV
- 2 repair modes for data lossless fixing
- Fix all iOS and tvOS versions in clicks
- Multiple iOS/tvOS system fixing pathse
- One-click to upgrade to the latest iOS/tvOS version
- One-click to enter/exit Recovery Mode
- Troubleshoot iOS/tvOS not recognized issues in detail
Step 2: Connect your iPhone to computer
Use an original USB cable and then plug your iPhone into your computer. Kick off Leawo iOSFix software and then you will see several option shown on the main interface.
Step 3: Specify a repair mode
Choose the Standard Mode or Advanced Mode based on your needs. The Standard Mode will not erase your iPhone data, while the other one will totally erase your iPhone data during the fixing process. Be sure to back up your iPhon before you carry out the second mode.
Step 4: Download firmware
Confirm your iPhone information and then download a proper firmware for your iPhone. The downloading status will be shown on the interface for your monitoring.
Step 5: Begin to fix iPhone is frozen issue
Click Fix Now button to begin to fix iPhone frozen error. Wait for the software to perform its task and repair your iPhone. Once this task is finished, your iPhone will restart normally automatically.