"Can you watch iPTV on Plex? I have recently been searching for solutions to watch IPTV with Plex directly, other than the traditional cable connection. Do I need to install any add-ons such as PLEXIPTV, Telly, M3U2PLEX and xTeVe, or try other methods to watch iPTV on Plex? Please show me some detailed solutions. Thanks advance."
IPTV has been growing in popularity along with other streaming services due to the cord-cutting trend. The increasing cost of traditional TV-watching methods and the ability to watch on-demand content with streaming services are the primary reasons for this trend. Well, in this guide, we would like to show you ways on how to watch iPTV over Plex media sever.
Part 1: Brief Introduction to iPTV
IPTV stands for "internet protocol television". The "IP" in IPTV is the same as the one in your IP address or VoIP (voice over IP). All that means is television programming is being communicated using the internet protocol.
To understand what that means, you need to know a bit about how non-IPTV works. With cable or satellite TV, broadcasters send out signals and viewers receive them—you're only able to watch what's being broadcasted. Unless you have some sort of recording device, you don't get to dictate what's on when. You just tune in when you can and watch what's available.
IPTV is different. Instead of transmitting content via light pulses in fiber-optic cable or radio waves from a satellite, IPTV sends shows and movies through your standard internet connection. (You may be using a cable or satellite internet connection, but these are independent of the ones that usually carry your TV signals.)
Instead of broadcasting a range of shows on a specific schedule, most IPTV uses video on demand (VOD) or time-shifted media—we'll discuss these, and a third format, in just a moment.
There's some complicated network architecture behind all of this making it work, including lots of transcoding from traditional signals to IP-friendly ones. But the important thing is that you don't have to watch what's being broadcast. You can tell your provider what you want to watch, and they'll send it to you immediately.
If you've used a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu, it's the same idea, but with TV instead of movies or syndicated shows.
Part 2: How to Watch iPTV on Plex
As for watching iPTV on Plex, we're going to cover two "types" of IPTV plugins (called "Channels") for Plex - an .m3u playlist based player and a "pre-loaded" player. The M3U-based player allows you to input your IPTV providers .m3u file or URL - meaning you need an existing IPTV service in order to use it. The "pre-loaded" player comes with content already available for you to stream - ie. no IPTV provider is required.
Method 1: M3U Playlist Method
This is a very general and most common method for this purpose. Instructions for learning how to stream IPTV on Plex are given below:
- Start by installing Cigaras IPTV Channel and then go to Channels section in Plex media player.
- Now on the IPTV addon, click on the Settings icon to proceed.
- A new window will appear where you'll see two fields. If you have IPTV .m3u type playlist then enter it in the first one and if it is XMLTV or EPG type then in the second one.
- Now, take a quick look at other settings and click on the SAVE button present on the window
- After that, open the IPTV plugin and open View playlist section in it.
- List of channels will open up and select the one you want to stream.
Method: 2 Pre-loaded Plex IPTV Player
Now coming to this method of IPTV streaming in which you'll get pre-loaded content from several apps. You don't require an IPTV service provider in this method that means this method of streaming is totally free of cost. Although you'll get less content to watch there is no harm in installing these apps because something is better than nothing. To watch IPTV on plex using pre-loaded IPTV Plex player, follow the stepwise guide given below:
- Firstly, download and install the CCloud TV from the app store or downloader app.
- After that, launch the installed app from the Channels section in the Plex.
- Now, find the Channels option again and open it up.
- Now select the Page View to see all the channels provided by this app in the groups of 10.
- In here, you can also use the Bookmark feature to stream your recently watched content more quickly.
NOTE: You can also stream by using the m3u playlist URL. Just enter the settings of CCloud and enter URL in the required field to enjoy the streaming. One more thing to tell you is that CCloud is not as good as Cigaras IPTV in working. So, if you want to stream m3u playlist then take Cigaras IPTV on priority.
Part 3. Leawo Solution to Watch iPTV via M3U iPTV Palylist URLs
Actually, there is another solution to help you watch iPTV on Plex media server via M3U iPTV Playlist URLs. That’s to download these M3U playlist URL videos with some professional M3U video downloader tools such as Leawo Prof. Media.
As an all-inclusive media converter suite, featuring Online Live Stream Video Downloader inside, Leawo Prof. Media could help you directly download live stream videos and live stream videos through M3U/M3U8 URL links. You could directly copy and paste the M3U8/M3U link from the live video to Leawo Prof. Media’s Downloader module and start downloading M3U8/M3U video. By downloading the M3U playlist URL videos with Leawo Prof. Media, you could then freely watch the downloaded iPTV videos over Plex Media Server as you like. Leawo Prof. Media even lists multiple download options for you to choose from for downloading. It could download live stream videos from various living stream sites.
Leawo Prof. Media could help you download videos from various video sharing sites and live streaming sites like YouTube, Facebook, Veoh, VEVO, etc. The below guide would show you how to download M3U8/M3U video with Leawo Prof. Media in detail. Download and install Leawo Prof. Media on your computer first.
Leawo Prof. Media
☉ Decrypt, rip and convert Blu-ray/DVD to video/audio files.
☉ Convert and burn videos files to Blu-ray/DVD content.
☉ Download videos from YouTube, Facebook, VEVO, and 1000+ other video sites.
☉ Edit Blu-ray/DVD/video files to trim, crop, adjust effect, apply 3D effect, etc.
☉ Remove Cinavia protection upon Blu-ray discs
☉ Play back various media files including Blu-ray, DVD, video, audio files.
Step 1: Set download directory
On Leawo Prof. Media, click the wheel icon on the top-right corner and then navigate to the “Download” tab to set download path in the “Save videos to” box. This directory will be the folder that saves all the downloaded video files.
Step 2: Copy and paste M3U8/M3U video link
Open the “Download” module on Leawo Prof. Media, and directly copy and paste the M3U8/M3U link into the address bar to get target M3U8/M3U live stream videos for downloading. You then could get multiple download options on the right sidebar.
Step 3: Choose video to download
On the right sidebar, you could see multiple download options in different formats, quality and resolutions. Choose the desired one and then click the download icon to start downloading M3U8/M3U videos.
Step 4: Manage downloaded M3U/M3U8 videos
You could then view the entire downloading process under the “Downloading” tab and all downloaded videos under the “Downloaded” tab. When the downloading process completes, you have successfully downloaded iPTV videos to your computer through M3U8/M3U video URLs for offline watching. You could then freely steam the downloaded iPTV videos over Plex Media Server. If the downloaded iPTV videos are not recognized or supported by Plex Media Server, you could use the internal Video Converter to convert downloaded videos for Plex Media Server.
Actually, with Leawo Prof. Media, you could do far more than simple online live stream video downloading for watching iPTV video over Plex Media Server. Leawo Prof. Media could act:
- As region-free media player to play back Blu-ray, DVD, video, audio, and even ISO image files, without being restricted by disc protection and regions.
- As a Blu-ray/DVD ripper to decrypt, rip and convert Blu-ray/DVD to video/audio files in 200+ file formats for various uses.
- As a video converter to convert video and audio files between various formats for different media players and devices, supporting even 4K video output.
- As a Blu-ray burner to convert and burn videos files to Blu-ray/DVD content in disc, folder and/or ISO image file, and even burn image files to Blu-ray/DVD photo slideshow easily.
- As a Blu-ray copy to decrypt, copy and backup Blu-ray/DVD content to blank disc or computer hard drive, in full-movie or movie-only backup mode as you need.
- As an online video downloader to help you download videos from YouTube, Facebook, Veoh, VEVO, and 1000+ other video sites.
- As a Blu-ray cinavia removal tool to help remove Cinavia protection upon Blu-ray discs to let you get Cinavia-free Blu-ray copies.
- As a photo slideshow maker to help you turn photos into photo slideshow video for saving in various formats, and edit generated photo slideshow.
- As a media editor to edit Blu-ray/DVD/video files to trim, crop, add watermark, adjust effect, apply 3D effect, etc. Provide more editing features than VLC has.
- Choose disc menu for DVD/Blu-ray burning, and even design disc menu with preferred items.
You could see that Leawo Prof. Media actually provides nearly all media solutions for you to let you get better digital entertainment.