Claimed as action camera for working well in recording extreme sporting moments such as skydiving, skiing, cycling, and skiving, GoPro cameras have been widely used for vacation, outdoor adventure, etc. If you have used GoPro cameras frequently, you must come across this issue: you shot something and uploaded it on your computer, only to realize that your video isn’t oriented in the right direction or is upside down. You have to rotate your screen or video player to view it in the normal aspect. Therefore, many people have been searching about solutions to rotate GoPro videos. In this guide, we would like to show you 4 ways to rotate GoPro video with different GoPro video rotating software tools.
Part 1. Best Tool to Rotate GoPro Video - Leawo Prof. Media
To rotate GoPro videos, you need a professional GoPro video rotation software is Leawo Prof. Media. As an all-inclusive media converter suite, Leawo Prof. Media provides you not only solutions for Blu-ray, DVD, video, audio and online video like converting Blu-ray/DVD/video, downloading online videos, burning video to Blu-ray/DVD, copy and back up Blu-ray/DVD movies, etc., but also simple but practical video editing features like adjusting effect, rotating video, adding image or text watermark, applying 3D effect, removing noise, etc. As for GoPro video rotating, the internal video editor of Leawo Prof. Media enables you to rotate GoPro videos in various angles: Horizontal flip, Vertical flip, 90 degrees clockwise, and 90 degrees counterclockwise.
The below guide would show you how to rotate GoPro video with the best GoPro video rotation software in detail. Firstly, download and install Leawo Prof. Media on your computer. Also, put your GoPro videos to your computer before you follow the below steps.
Leawo Prof. Media
☉ Decrypt, rip and convert Blu-ray/DVD to video/audio files.
☉ Convert and burn videos files to Blu-ray/DVD content.
☉ Download videos from YouTube, Facebook, VEVO, and 1000+ other video sites.
☉ Edit Blu-ray/DVD/video files to trim, crop, adjust effect, apply 3D effect, etc.
☉ Remove Cinavia protection upon Blu-ray discs
☉ Play back various media files including Blu-ray, DVD, video, audio files.
Step 1: Launch Leawo Prof. Media
Launch Leawo Prof. Media and then click “Convert” button on the sub-menu to enter the “Convert” module.
Step 2: Add source video files
Under the “Convert” module, you could directly drag and drop source media files, or click “Add Video” button to browse and load video files recorded with GoPro from your computer. Leawo Prof. Media could add video files in nearly all file formats.
Step 3: Set output format
Hit the button next to the “Add Photo” button and then click “Change” option to enter the “Profile” panel. Choose output format from “Format” or “Device” group according to your needs.
You can adjust the output video and audio parameters like video codec, video bit rate, aspect ratio, resolution, audio codec, sample rate, bit rate, channel, etc. To do these, just click the “Edit” option on the drop-down panel next to the “Add Photo” button.
Step 4: Rotate GoPro video
Leawo Prof. Media enables you to edit GoPro videos in various ways as mentioned above. In each loaded video title, click the “edit” icon to enter the editing panel, where you could see multiple editing features on the left panel: Trim, Watermark, Crop, Effect, 3D, Remove Noise, etc. Open the “Crop” tab, you could then see that there are 4 buttons right before the audio volume adjuster bar, respectively: Horizontal flip, Vertical flip, Rotate 90 degrees clockwise, and Rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise. Just click the one you need and then get instant preview from the internal video player. You could rotate GoPro videos 90 degrees in clockwise or counterclockwise direction, horizontal flip or vertical flip GoPro videos. After rotating, click the OK button.
You could also do other video editings here from the left tabs like trimming video length, cropping video size, adding image or text watermark, applying 3D effect, removing noise, etc.
Step 5: Set output directory and start converting
On the main interface, click the green button of “Convert” and then click the “Save to” option to set a directory to save output GoPro videos you have rotated and hit the “Convert” option to start converting. Leawo Prof. Media would start to output the rotated GoPro videos for you immediately.
You then only need to wait for the conversion to complete. With advanced GPU graphics card technologies, Leawo Prof. Media could complete the conversion and rotation quickly. After conversion completes, you will get your GoPro videos rotated to get normal angle of view.
Part 2. How to rotate GoPro Video with GoPro Studio?
Some people have recommended GoPro Studio for rotating GoPro videos. GoPro Studio is an easy-to-navigate, free video editing software tool that is the perfect choice for beginners. With this program, you can edit captured videos in just three simple steps. Additionally, you can trim, import, and export videos within minutes. It’s worth mentioning that the 4K editing part takes some time, but allows you to play around with advanced features, such as adding background music or further trimming of videos.
So there, how can you rotate GoPro video with GoPro Studio? The below steps would show you the detailed operation. Follow these steps to rotate GoPro video with GoPro’s own Studio software:
- Make sure you have downloaded and installed GoPro Studio on your computer. Meanwhile, the videos you have recorded with GoPro cameras have been imported to your computer.
- Start with "Import New Files" to add videos you'd like to rotate.
- On the left, you have to highlight your GoPro video to be rotated.
- There is a "ROTATE/FLIP" option below the playback window that lets you rotate your video.
- Having rotated target GoPro video, you can name the file and click "ADD CLIP TO CONVERSION LIST" to export it.
- Then, just set an output directory to save the rotated GoPro videos.
After exporting the rotated GoPro videos from GoPro Studio, you could now view the GoPro videos in normal angle or the angle of view you want it to be. You could flip GoPro videos and/or rotate GoPro videos as you like with GoPro Studio.
GoPro Studio takes you through the process of video editing. It allows you to customize a wide range of videos with presets, edit templates, and background music. Since the download is completely free, you can start using the program without a fee or subscription. The program is also available for Mac, Android, and iOS devices. However, since GoPro Studio has reached its end-of-life and will no longer be downloaded from official, you can use its successor GoPro Quik for desktop to import GoPro video for simple editing.
Part 3. How to rotate GoPro Video with GoPro Quik?
Many people have recommended GoPro Quik, which is GoPro's own simple video editing software. With GoPro's Quik app, you can create awesome videos with just a few taps. Choose your favorite photos and video clips then let Quik work its magic. In seconds, it finds great moments, adds beautiful transitions and effects, and syncs everything to the beat of the music. Customize your story with text, music and easily share it with friends. Editing has never been this fast—or this fun.
Follow the below steps to learn the detailed guide on how to rotate GoPro videos with GoPro Quick:
- Download GoPro Quik from its official website. (Only supports Windows 10 64bit and Mac OS 10.10.X or later)
- After the installation is complete, run Quik and connect your GoPro devices to computer. Add media folder to Quik.
- Double-click the GoPro video you want to convert, it will play in the new window, click the icon of the circular circle below to rotate GoPro video.
- After adjusting the angle, click on “3 points” More Options in the lower right corner and select Open in Create Mode.
- Click Save in the lower right corner to export the rotated video to the EDITS folder.
It should be noted that Quik in the admin account must be run.
Part 4. How to Rotate Gopro Video with VLC Media Player
VLC media player, besides being a media player to play back various media files, also has multiple hidden features, such as editing videos, converting media files, downloading live M3U8 videos, etc. You could also use VLC media player to rotate GoPro videos.
The below steps would show you how to rotate GoPro videos with VLC media player in detail:
- Make sure you have VLC media player on your computer. And transfer GoPro videos to your computer from GoPro cameras.
- From the VLC Media Player menu, go to Tools > Effects and Filters [Shortcut: CTRL + E].
- From the Adjustment and Effects, go to the “Video Effects” tab.
- Go to the sub tab of Video Effects that says “Geometry”.
- Check on the checkbox beside the text that says “Transform”. There you will find various options to rotate GoPro videos.
The steps that you followed above just rotated the video for playing only. If you want to make the rotation permanent, follow these instructions after the above steps:
- From the menu bar, go to Media > Convert / Save. [CTRL + R]
- Click on Add, and browse and add the current video.
- Click on Convert/Save.
- In the Convert dialog, click on Settings next to the Profile.
- In the Profile edition dialog, navigate to Video Codec > Filters tab tab
- Activate the Video transformation filter. (Note: Activate the Rotate video filter if the video was rotated at an angle like 59 degrees.)
- Switch to the Audio codec tab, and choose MP3 as the Codec under Encoding parameters.
- In the Convert dialog, don't forget to choose a Destination file and press Start.
- Hit Play to begin the transformation process.
Now, you could freely choose to either rotate one single GoPro video or all GoPro video and other video files loaded to VLC media player for playback.
Part 5. Conclusion
These 4 methods are all quite practical and useful for you to rotate your GoPro videos. GoPro Studio and GoPro Quik are GoPro’s own software tools to help you make simple video editing, while VLC media player is a totally free media player combo that enables you to rotate videos being played back. If you want to export your videos rotated within VLC media player, VLC media player will fail you. Leawo Prof. Media is an all-inclusive media converter suite that enables you to play GoPro videos in desired rotation, and export videos in rotated degrees for playback on other media players.