An ISO image is an archive file that contains everything on an optical drive. It can be used as a backup file of an optical disc. If you have a pile of DVD discs and want to back them up to your PC, you can try extracting an ISO image from the discs and save the file to your PC as a backup. The ISO image you get from the disc can be later used to burn to a blank disc and create a new copy of the original discs if you need.
The best software to extract ISO from DVD
If you want to copy the DVD with high quality, you are going to need a program that’s good enough to create high quality backups. Among all those choices you can have out there, I would recommend that you give Leawo DVD Copy a shot. The program is a wonderful example of what a great DVD copying program should be. It supports 1:1 lossless DVD backup. It can help you directly copy DVD disc to a blank disc or back them up to your computer as a DVD folder or an ISO image and the latter is what we are counting on for the job. Learn how to make ISO file from DVD disc using the program in the content below.
Before we get started, you need to confirm that the criteria below are met.
- 1. Get a DVD drive if your computer doesn’t feature an internal one.
- 2. Leawo DVD Copy doesn’t function as an independent program but a module inside Leawo’s Prof.Media software suite. So after downloading and installing DVD Copy on your computer, you will find the Prof.Media icon on your desktop.
How to extract ISO from DVD to PC
Learn how to extract ISO from DVD by reading the content below.
Step 1. Launch Prof.Media from your desktop and wait for it to finish loading. The DVD Copy icon is on the main interface of Prof.Media. Find it and click on it to open the DVD Copy module.
Step 2. Enter your DVD disc into your disc drive in advance. When the program detects your disc, you can use the Add Blu-ray/DVD button to add the content of your DVD disc to the program by hitting Add Blu-ray/DVD>Add from CD-ROM>[your DVD disc].
Step 3. After the disc data are loaded to the program, you will be redirected to the content selecting panel where you need to select the content you want to keep in the ISO image. You have 3 choices: Full Movie, Main Movie and Custom Mode. Full Movie can help you keep all the videos, subtitles and audio tracks in the ISO file. Main Movie only keeps the main movie and one set of audio track and subtitles. Custom Mode enables you to select them manually from the list on the left sidebar. After you are done selecting the content, choose a format to convert the ISO image to in the drop-down menu in the bottom-left. 1:1 lossless DVD copying or DVD-9 to DVD-5 compression are all feasible.
Step 4. Notice the Copy button above the video player window? Click that button to display a sidebar above the video player. As we are trying to make ISO file from DVD discs, check the ISO file option on top of the sidebar. You can select a folder to store the output ISO file in the box under Save to. And then start to extract ISO from DVD by clicking the Copy button at the bottom.
If the original disc is damaged or scratched beyond repair, you can always use the ISO image of the disc to create a new copy of the disc and Leawo DVD Copy will also be able to help you do that. Here’s how:
Make sure that you have a DVD burner to burn the ISO image to a blank DVD disc.
- Step 1. Import the ISO image to the program by clicking Add Blu-ray/DVD>Add ISO file and selecting it from the Open File window.
- Step 2. Select the content you need to burn to the new disc by choosing one copy mode from the provided 3 again and select a disc format according to the format of the blank disc.
- Step 3. Click the green Copy button and this time, check the third option on the top and select the blank disc as the target from the drop-down menu. And then click Copy to start burning the ISO image to the blank disc.
With the help of Leawo DVD Copy, you would be able to convert DVD to ISO or burn ISO to DVD discs as you like. It’s a powerful and practical piece of DVD backup software.