You may always hear some iPhone users complain about their new devices like iPhone 7/8/X turning off and restarting. The situation they usually encounter is that when their iPhones upgraded the iOS system, “Attempting data recovery” always occurs in the devices. You may also meet this problem when you are upgrading your iOS system. This error is a serious issue to us, because if it happens, all the data in your iPhone may lose. Therefore, if you know how to fix this problem, there is no need to worry about this error happening anymore. Here we will teach you some methods of how to fix the error “Attempting data recovery” on iOS 11/12.
- Part 1: Why "Attempting Data Recovery loop on iPhone 7/8/X" happens
- Part 2: How to Fix "Attempting Data Recovery" on iOS 12
- Part 3: How to Recover Data If Attempting Data Recovery Failed with iOS Data Recovery
- Part 4: How to Recover Data when iPhone X Stuck in Attempting Data Recovery with iTunes
- Part 5: How to Backup Data Avoiding Attempting Data Recovery Data Loss with iTransfer
Part 1: Why "Attempting Data Recovery loop on iPhone 7/8/X" happens
The notification of “Attempting data recovery” is easy to be found when you are trying to upgrade iOS version of your devices to the latest one. Most iPhone users get used to upgrading their iOS system via iTunes. Because of this, the error “Attempting Data Recovery” may occur on your device's screen. To prevent this problem to happen, there is another way to update the iOS version, that is to update it by a wireless connection. When your iOS version is upgrading via iTunes, this problem definitely will occur. This is also an automatic recovery process after iOS upgrading. The process will be finished after a while. But, sometimes your device will continue being stuck on this problem or your device hasn’t been recovered after its completion. This situation easily results in iOS data loss. To get some knowledge of how to fix this issue “Attempting data recovery” has become important to us. Follow our methods in this article, this problem can be solved immediately.
Part 2: How to Fix "Attempting Data Recovery" on iOS 12
1. Fix Attempting Data Recovery by pressing home button.
When you find your iPhone X stuck in attempting data recovery, the first way you should try is to press home button. Then wait for a while until the upgrading is completed. Your device will return to normal once the updating is finished. But if this method cannot solve this problem after you have long pressed on the home button, another method can be a trial as below.
2. The best way to fix this issue is to force restart your iPhone.
For iPhone 7 or 7 Plus: You should press the power button on right side of your iPhone and the volume down button on the left side at the same time, then these two buttons must be held for a few seconds until the Apple logo shows up on your iPhone screen. During this process, a slide which requires you to slide it to power off will be seen. You just need to skip it by keeping on holding the two buttons. After that, your iPhone will complete the startup sequence.
For iPhone 8/X or Plus: Press the volume up key and then release it quickly. Then press the volume down key and also release it quickly. Finally, the power button must be pressed and held until the Apple logo shows up on your device’s screen.
Force restarting seems to work effectively each time, but if you meet failure in Attempting Data Recovery, do you know how to recover the data in a simple way?
Part 3: How to Recover Data If Attempting Data Recovery Failed with iOS Data Recovery
You may find that your iPhone finishes “Attempting data recovery” and the data fails to recover actually, which leads to data loss on your device. Do you know how to retrieve the lost data effectively? Here we will recommend you a useful tool - Leawo iOS Data Recovery . This software is able to recover the lost data in your Apple devices like iPhone, iPad, and iPod. More than 14 types of lost file can be recovered in a simple way. No matter what causes the data loss, damage or delete or lose accidentally, the data can be recovered with 100% safety, accuracy, and speediness. Below we will guide you how to recover data with Leawo iOS Data Recovery in specific steps.
Two modes are offered to recover the lost data from your iPhone once you met failure in attempting data recovery. One is Normal mode, which can recover the data like message, contacts and call history, etc. The other mode is DFU mode, which is able to recover what the Normal mode recovers. Besides this, the data like camera roll, photo library, and message attachments, etc. However, only iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4 are applicable to DFU mode, while Normal mode can be applied to all iOS devices. Here we will introduce you how to recover your lost data on iPhone 7/8/X via Normal mode.
1. Run Leawo iOS data recovery on your computer and connect your iPhone to the computer. Choose “Recover from iOS Device” on the main interface.
2. Select your iPhone in the bottom list and click the “Start” button to begin scanning your iPhone.
3. The process of scanning will take for a while.
4. A list of all data of your iPhone will be displayed in the left sidebar of the software window once the scanning is completed. Check “Only display the deleted items”, then you can only view the lost data in the left sidebar. The specific files of the lost data are shown on the right part.
5. Check the lost data which you would like to recover and then click the button “Recover”
6. A pane will pop up and requires you to choose an output directory for the recovered data by clicking “Open” button. You also can choose the option “Automatically open the output folder after finishing recover” to let the output folder open automatically. Finally, click on the button “Go” to begin recovering the data you need to your computer.
Part 4: How to Recover Data when iPhone X Stuck in Attempting Data Recovery with iTunes
You can solve the problem of attempting data recovery by using iTunes. Firstly, the latest version of iTunes must be downloaded and installed on the computer. Then connect your device to your computer via USB cable. Thirdly, Run iTunes on your computer and the problem of your iPhone stuck in attempting data recovery will be detected by iTunes automatically.
Your iPhone can be restored manually under the condition that you haven’t received any notification which will pop up. You can click the button “Restore iPhone” to get your iPhone data restored.
Your iPhone will be totally refreshed as brand-new one once the restoring process is finished.
Part 5: How to Backup Data Avoiding "Attempting Data Recovery" Data Loss with iTransfer
To prevent any data loss once the iPhone attempting data recovery loop happens, it is a good idea to back up your iPhone data to avoid this situation to occur accidentally. How to back up your iPhone in an effective way. Here we will introduce you an outstanding third party tool- Leawo iTransfer.
Leawo iTransfer is software to backup and transfer multiple kinds of files between iOS devices, iTunes and computer. Up to 12 kinds of files such as apps, photos, contacts and the like can be transferred via iTransfer. Additionally, the transferred data can be well managed to help you control them conveniently. Because of its innovative technology of scanning and transferring, the task of transferring data can be completed in a safe and rapid way. Its simple operation just needs you to click on the transfer button, then the selected files can be moved to your target folder in a few seconds. 100% safety and reliability are guaranteed by this software and you don’t need to worry about that the data will be lost and overwritten during the transferring process. Below we will instruct you the specific steps of how to back up your iPhone data to a computer via Leawo iTransfer.
1. Launch Leawo iTransfer on your computer and connect your iPhone to the computer via USB cable. Your iPhone will be recognized and detected automatically, then the library of your iPhone will be shown in the left sidebar.
2. When you click on the file in the library, the related specific files will be displayed on the right part accordingly. You can choose all the files to transfer by enabling the square checkbox which is next to specific files names and then click on the transfer button which locates on the right bottom to begin to transfer the files as you need. Or you can also select the certain files by holding the key Ctrl/Shift, then select the option Transfer to > My Computer by right click on the files which you have selected.
3. Once the files have been selected for transfer, a pop-up dialog will require you to choose the target folder by checking the option “Save to Folder” and clicking the button “Change”. After you have chosen the output directory for your transferred files, click the button “Transfer Now” on the right bottom to begin backing up the data in your iPhone to the computer.