"I want to edit my PowerPoint presentations on my computer, but when I open it, it says the presentations are read-only files. So how to unlock read-only PowerPoint presentations? I need your help, please. Thanks."
How to change PowerPoint from read-only might be a very frequently asked question for Office users, both Mac and Windows. When people try to open read-only PowerPoint presentations, the PowerPoint will show a window that hints the PowerPoint presentations aren’t allowed to be edited. It might be a difficulty for novices to remove read only PowerPoint restriction. But for vateran, it’s as easy as pie.
This guide will show you some effective solutions on how to make a PowerPoint not read only in details. It would no longer be a hard task for you to remove read only PowerPoint any more.
Part 1: How to Unlock Read-Only PowerPoint Presentation on Mac/Win
Read only PowerPoint presentation is the final and unaltered version of your PowerPoint presentation. Making PowerPoint presentations read only is especially useful for business presentation from accidental changes. However, after you download or receive read only PowerPoint presentations, you may need to make some editing upon these read-only PowerPoint presentations. In such condition, you need to remove read only PowerPoint. The below content shows you how to unloak PowerPoint presentation from read only on Mac and Windows respectively.
#1. How to Change PowerPoint from Read Only on Windows
- Open the read only PowerPoint presentation and click the "File" tab.
- Click "Info" from the left panel.
- Click the drop-down arrow icon on the "Protect Presentation" box and then select "Mark as Final" option. If the presentation was read-only, it will now be editable.
- Return to the left panel and click "Save" button, or directly click "Ctrl+S" to save changes.
#2. How to Change PowerPoint from Read Only on Mac
On Mac OS, you could also unlock read only PowerPoint presentations with system’s inner tools. But it should be noted that you should be the owner of the PowerPoint files or have the Write privilage. The detailed steps are listed below:
- Open the Finder and select the read only PowerPoint presentation you want to unlock.
- On the Action popup menu, click "Get Info".
- On the General panel, uncheck the Locked box. The read only PowerPoint would be not read only any more.
Note: The below methods to unlock PowerPoint presentation are only applicable to read-only PowerPoint presentations. If your PowerPoint files are locked by password, you have to turn to other solutions or 3rd-party tools.
Part 2: How to Save Read-Only PowerPoint Presentation to Video
Before you’re able to save read-only PowerPoint files into video, you need firstly change PowerPoint from read only status. The above methods have told you how to make a PowerPoint not read only. Once you know how to unlock PowerPoint presentation, you could follow the below steps to learn how to save read-only PowerPoint presentation to video file withint Microsoft PowerPoint.
- After you’ve already changed PowerPoint from read only status, navigate to the "File" menu.
- Open the "Export" tab and then click "Create a Video" option.
- You will then see a PowerPoint to video converting settings panel, including: 2 drop-down menus and slide duration settings. In the first drop-down menu, select output video resolution (target player to play created video) and size. In the second drop-down menu, select to include or exclude any timings or narrations you prefer. After this, set the time value and then click the "Create a Video" button.
- On the popup "Save as" interface, set output video name and determine output format from MP4 and WMV. Meanwhile, select a folder to save output video file.
Part 3: How to Convert Read-Only PowerPoint to Video
MS PowerPoint will convert read only PowerPoint to video in MP4 or WMV format to let you freely play the PowerPoint video on Windows Media Player. Actually, there are quite a lot of 3rd-party PowerPoint to video converter apps that could help you convert read only PowerPoint to video in far more than MOV and MP4 format. You could use these PowerPoint to video converter to convert read only PowerPoint to video in FLV for YouTube or MOV for iOS devices.
Among all the PowerPoint converter programs, Leawo PowerPoint to Video Pro offers you the best solution to help you convert read only PowerPoint to video in FLV, MOV, MP4, WMV, AVI, MKV, etc. for multiple media players and mobile devices.
PowerPoint to Video Pro
☉ Support PowerPoint 2000/2002/2003/2007/2010/2013.
☉ Support all PPT formats: PPT, PPTX, PPTM, PPS, PPSX, POT, POTX, POTM.
☉ Adjust video and audio parameters of output files.
☉ Customize PowerPoint files like: insert background music/watermark, set transition, real-time narration.
Why Choose Leawo PowerPoint to Video Pro:
How to Convert Read Only PowerPoint to Video
Download and install this PowerPoint to video converter software on your computer. And then follow the below guide to learn how to convert read only PowerPoint to video in different formats. Make sure you’ve already unlocked read only PowerPoint presentations.
Step 1: Import PowerPoint files
Run Leawo PowerPoint to Video Pro on your computer, and click "Add" on the main interface to browse and import unlocked read-only PowerPoint files into the software.
Step 2: Set output format
Then, click "Profile" button and navigate to the "Common Video" group to set output format according to target player. You should also open the "Output" box to set output directory.
Step 3: Adjust video and audio parameters
If you need, you could click "Settings" button on the main interface to adjust video and audio parameters of output videos like video codec, bit rate, video size, aspect ratio, frame rate, audio codec, channel, etc.
Step 4: Customize PowerPoint files
This PowerPoint converter allows you to customize PowerPoint files by clicking the big "Customize" button on the main interface. You could set PPT transition time, add PPT background music, set audio effect, set aspect ratio, add watermark or not, etc.
Step 5: Convert read only PowerPoint to video
Finally, return to the main interface and click "Start" button at the right bottom right corner to start converting read only PowerPoint to video.
Video Demo on How to Convert Read Only PowerPoint to Video
Extension and Related Knowledge
- 1. How to make PowerPoint file read only?
- Similar operation to unlocking read only PowerPoint file mentioned in Part 1, but differs in Step 3. If you want to make read only PowerPoint file, when you click the "Mark as Final" option (Mac users tick the Locked check box), your PowerPoint file would turn to read only.
- 2. Is there any simple way to edit read only PowerPoint file?
- Yes. You or anyone who receives an electronic copy of a presentation can reverse the Marked as Final status and edit the presentation. To do so, simply click Edit Anyway.
- 3. Can I add a signature while converting read only PowerPoint to video?
- Yes. With Leawo PPT to Video Pro, you could freely add image or text watermark as signature in the "Customize" panel.
- 4. Can I add a background music to read only PowerPoint file while converting to video?
- Yes. Leawo PPT to Video Converter Pro enables you to insert your favorite song as background music for read only PowerPoint files to be converted.
- 5. Can I burn read only PowerPoint to DVD disc?
- Yes. You could make use of PPT to DVD Pro to burn read only/unlocked PPT files to DVD disc with ease.