Restoring iPhone to factory settings can make your iPhone appear as brand new, since you will get all the data swept from iPhone after reseting iPhone to factory settings. Therefore, it is important for you to note that the factory reset process will remove all data and settings on the device, meaning you will lose everything that is stored on there, from pictures, to music, to notes, and specific app data. If you are looking to avoid that data loss, you will need to backup the iPhone with iTunes or iCloud before resetting. But if you have no any backup before restoring iPhone to factory setting, you have to find other ways to recover data after factory reset. And the post will show you how to restore iPhone to factory settings and how to recover data from iPhone after factory settings.
Part 1. Two ways to Restore iPhone to Factory Settings
1. Restoring iPhone to Factory Settings with iTunes
iTunes enables users to back up data to iTunes and restore iPhone to factory settings. Before you start restoring iPhone to factory settings, please note that you need to install the latest version of iTunes on your PC or MAC. Then go to Settings > iCloud to turn off Find My iPhone. Now, the detailed restoring steps are as follows.
1. Plug iPhone into the computer with the USB cable. The iTunes on your computer will automatically launch. If not, double-click the icon to start it.
2. Click the name of your iPhone at the upper right corner of iTunes, and then the information of your iPhone will be shown. Click the “Restore iPhone” button in the window to start.
3. iTunes will ask whether you want to back up iPhone before restoring. You’d better choose "Yes" for the reset will erase the contents in your iPhone. Then iTunes will start restoring your iPhone to factory settings.
3. Click Restore again to confirm. Then iTunes erases your iPhone and installs the latest iOS or iPod software. After you restore your iPhone to factory settings, it will restart. Now you can set it up as new.
2. Restoring iPhone to Factory Settings on iPhone
You will also be able to reset iPhone to factory settings within your iPhone. You just need to go to "Settings > General > Reset" and then choose the categories you want to reset and then apply it. If you choose "Reset All Contents and Settings", then you will get all the files in your iPhone erased.
Part 2. Three ways to Recover Data after Restoring iPhone to Factory Settings
1.Restore iPhone from iTunes backup
Step 1. Connect your iPhone to your computer using an USB cable. Then launch iTunes.
Step 2. Click device button to the left of the iTunes Store button in the top right corner in iTunes. Then click “Summary” in the left sidebar.
2. Restore iPhone from iCloud backup
After resetting your phone back to factory settings, remember that the iOS Setup Assistant will guide you in completing the restoration. Complete the Setup Assistant by setting up your phone with the necessary information that the assistant may ask for. While completing this, you will see a screen with the header Set up your iPhone. Tap on Set up your device and then go with Restore from a Backup, then choose Restore from iCloud Backup when iPhone restarts.
3.Recover iPhone with Leawo iOS Data Recovery
If you haven't backed up your iPhone with iTunes or iPhone, you will be unable to restore iPhone from iTunes/iCloud backup. Therefore, if you lose some data after restoring iPhone to factory settings and you have no iTunes/iCloud backup, you may need the third-party software to help you recover them. The software enables you to directly recover data from iPhone as well as iTunes/iCloud backup. The guidance below will show you how to recover data from iPhone after factory settings with Leawo iOS Data Recovery, and you can free download the trial version to have a try.
1. Connect iPhone to computer with the USB cable, and then run Leawo iOS Data Recovery. The software will recognize your iPhone, click the "Start" button in the middle of the window, and the software will start analyzing your iPhone.
2. After analyzing your iPhone, this iPhone data recovery software will begin to scan your iPhone. The categories will show up in the left sidebar, and the names of them will turn white during the scan if any contents are in the categories. Choose a category and then the contents will display in the right part. Check the files you want to recover and then click the "Recover" button at the right bottom of the window.
3. The dialog will pop up. Click "Open" in the dialog to choose a target folder to save the recovered files, and then click "Go" to start recovering data from iPhone.
After the recovery, the files will be shown up in the target folder. Although using third party iPhone data recovery software is not as convenient as using iTunes, it enables users to preview and choose the contents they want to recover, and that will avoid troubles after the recovery. Moreover, if you have no any iTunes/iCloud backup before you delete files, the iPhone data recovery software will be quite helpful on this issue.