Brief introduction of PS4 – PlayStation is a video game console from Sony that was introduced in the U.S. in 1995. The basic PlayStations consist of a small box containing the processor and a DVD reader, with video outputs to connect to a TV, sockets for two game controllers, and a socket for one or two memory cards.
PlayStation 4 (PS4) is the fourth generation of home video game consoles and currently the best game console in the market, featuring with stunning hardware performance and the DUALSHOCK controller, which includes a touchpad, a “Share” button and a light bar, which allows a separate camera to track its movement. You can even directly share your epic triumphs game experience with your friends by simply press the “Share” button.
Part 1: Can I Play Blu-ray Movie on PS4?
1. Does PS4 Play Blu-ray Movie?
Yes. One of the most headline-grabbing features of the PS4 is that it supports 4K movie streaming. With the HDMI 2.0 cable connected, you can play 4K movie with PS4 and enjoy it on TV. The HDMI 2.0 cable are designed to work alongside 4k signal to play 4k Blu-ray on your TV.
But it’s not really necessary to buy the newer HDMI 2.0 cable as the PS4 will only display a picture of 1080p at 60fps. What we want from Blu-ray movies is its best quality. If the PS4 will not display a 4k picture, then what’s the point in bringing it on TV?
2. PS4 Supported Formats
The following table shows the audio and video formats supported by PS4.
PS4 Supported Formats
MP4; XviD; WMV; MPEG-2; AVI;
MP3; WAV; eAAC+;
3. Why PS4 won’t play Blu-rays?
1. PS4 won’t play Blu-ray: Encryption key needs to be renewed.
An encryption key is a random string of bits, which is created for scrambling and unscrambling data. To play commercial Blu-Ray movies and access some features on Blu-Ray discs, the encryption code is needed. If PS4 won’t play Blu-ray, it is time for you to get your system updated.
2. Blu ray won’t play: The region code on the Blu-ray disc doesn’t match the one on the PS4.
As we all know, DVD region codes exist in almost all commercial Blu-ray disc while Blu-ray region code is a bit lax than for DVDs. And the PS4 is region-locked for multimedia content such as Blu-ray or DVD disc. When you find PS4 Blu ray won’t play, it could be owning to the region code on Blu-ray or DVD disc, which differs from the region code setting on your PS4.
3. Blu ray won’t play: Something wrong with the Blu-ray laser.
Thankfully, we have got some solutions for you to try based on what you think is best to solve the problem:Blu ray won’t play. But if you’ve tried both steps above and your console still isn’t able to read Blu-ray discs, your console needs to come in for a professional check. Sometime, because of the malfunction of laser diode in the PS4 Blu ray, it will fail to read any disc. When you notice a circular scratch on the disc, it may mean that there is some physical damage to the PS4 laser lens.
To avoid further damage, it is wise to ask professional help, you can follow this link to setup a service case through WebRMA: https://scea.secure.force.com/service
Above, we have present several answers to the question why PS4 won’t play Blu-ray. To help you solve the problem “Blu ray won’t play” effectively, we also recommend you some good solutions. Check out below how we do it.
Part 2: Renew PS4 encryption key to play Blu-ray on PS4
When Blu ray won’t play, try to renew security encryption. Below I will show you two useful methods.
1. Renew encryption key on the PS4 system software over the Internet connection.
Here’s something you should note before starting the update process.
- You are supposed not to turn off your PS4, remove or insert a USB drive, or eject or insert a game disc during the process.
- Make sure PS4 is connected to the Internet successfully.
- The system software becomes corrupted if the update process does not complete.
Here’s how to update the PS4 software
- Turn on the PS4 without any disc.
- Go to the function screen, scroll to “Settings”, select “System Update”, and highlight “Update via Internet”, press the X button at the end.
- To complete the upgrade process, all you need to do is to follow the on-screen instructions, which is really easy.
2. Renew encryption key on the PS4 system software without the Internet connection
- Make sure the USB flash drive has at least 168MB of free space before you begin.
- Make sure there is not any disc in the PS4.
- Insert the USB flash drive into the open USB port of your computer.
- Then you will notice a USB flash drive icon at the bottom right of your computer in a second. Click “Start,” and select “Computer” to open it. Then you can find it appear under “Devices with Removable Storage.”
- Double-click the USB flash drive, right-click on an empty area, click “New”>> “Folder” to create a brand new folder. In the end, name it as “UPDATE,” then press the Enter key.
- Go to the website: PlayStation.com and download the latest version of the PS4 system software, and save it in the “UPDATE” folder you made a few minutes ago.
- After the download is completed successfully, remove the USB flash drive from the computer, and insert it into the USB port on the front of the PS4.
- Then just follow the almost similar steps with internet. Go to the function screen, scroll to “Settings”, select “System Update”.
- Highlight “Update via Storage Media” instead of “Update via Internet”, press the X button at the end to confirm your choice.
- Last but not least, the interface will display a message telling you that a new update has been detected and found. Press X to install the update.
Part 3: How to play Blu-ray on PS4 with Leawo Blu-ray Copy?
Region locked Blu-ray disc may bring a big question “what to do when the Blu-ray disc can’t be played on your PS4 due to region code”. Here is the solution to the problem. If a region locked Blu-ray is free from region code restriction, it will be playable on any player anywhere, let alone PS4 Blu-ray playback. The easiest way is to make a backup of Blu-ray disc without region code restriction.
Leawo Blu-ray Copy is a top rated program to copy DVD/Blu-ray disc at zero quality loss. This Blu-ray copy software could copy Blu-ray disc of BD25 and BD50, copy Blu-ray folder and ISO image file, copy DVD disc of DVD-9/DVD-5, DVD folder and DVD ISO image file as well. It preforms pretty well to copy Blu-ray and backup DVD regardless of disc protection and region restriction. That is to say no matter you get a Blu-ray disc with AACS, BD+ or the latest MKB protection in region A, B, or C, or CSS-DVD disc ranging from region 0 to 6, this Blu-ray copier could easily copy Blu-ray and DVD disc and have the region code removed in the copy. I am going to show you how to make PS4 play Blu-ray using Leawo Blu-ray Copy.
Step 1: Launch Blu-ray Copy.
Note that you need to install a program called Leawo Prof. Media in order to use Leawo Blu-ray Copy as it’s part of Leawo Prof. Media. Start Prof. Media and then you can find Blu-ray Copy on its main interface. Click on “Copy” to load the module.
Step 2: Add the source Blu-ray disc to the software.
Click the Add Blu-ray/DVD button on the toolbar and then click Add from CD-ROM to add the source disc content to the software.
Step 3: Choose the target copy mode.
Choose the target copy mode from three options, namely full movie, main movie and custom mode. Full movie means to copy all Blu-ray disc contents, main movie lets you copy the movie only, while custom mode allows you to choose certain titles to copy and discard the rest. Remember to specify the disc type at the bottom. There are 4 options available, BD50, BD25, DVD-9 and DVD-5.
Step 4: Set a directory to save the output backup contents.
Click the button Copy from the toolbar and a sidebar will pop up, where you can set Copy to and Save to directory. If you tick Copy to Folder or Copy to ISO File, it means you will copy the Blu-ray disc in a folder or as an ISO file saved in the directory that you set in the Save to box, respectively. You may copy the source Blu-ray to a new disc as well. After you set the Copy to and Save to options, click the Copy button at the bottom of the sidebar to copy the Blu-ray disc. Any region code will be removed thoroughly during this process.
Step 5: View the backup process.
Track down on the real time status through the green progress bar, which tells you exactly how much percentage has been done. PS4 Blu-ray playback is available once the copying completes.
Leawo Blu-ray Copy Video Tutorial:
Part 4: How to play Blu-ray on PS4 with Leawo Blu-ray Ripper?
There is a dual-function program – Leawo Blu-ray Ripper, capable of ripping and converting Blu-ray DVD to 180+ video/ audio with 100% original quality and 6X faster speed. It is a smart way to handle region locked Blu-rays too. With it, PS4 Blu-ray playback is not a problem at all because it will clear the region restrictions and convert the Blu-ray to a more common format for playback on any player, let alone PS4. Here is how to use this program to rip and convert Blu-ray to MP4 for playback on PS4.
Step 1: Launch Leawo Blu-ray Ripper.
Step 2: Add source Blu-ray disc.
Click Add Blu-ray/DVD to import the source disc contents.
Step 3: Select videos to rip.
The following list has all the videos in the disc on it and you are allowed to select different videos to rip. You have 3 buttons to help you select different videos. Use the Full Movie button to select all the videos for ripping. The Main Movie button will help you pick out the main movie from the list for ripping. Custom Mode is provided for you to select the videos you need from the list by yourself. Click OK when you are done with video selecting.
Step 4: Change the output format.
Click the Format button which currently has the MP4 Video label on it and click Change from the format drop down menu and choose the target format. PS4 supports MP4, so you can stick with the default MP4 profile to convert Blu-ray to MP4 or choose other MP4 profiles like HD MP4.
Step 5: Convert the source Blu-ray to MP4.
Click the Convert button on the toolbar and set a directory for saving output file. Click the round button Convert later to kick off the conversion. Once it is done, you will have your region-free MP4 files saved in your drive. Transfer it to your PS4 for Blu-ray playback.
Leawo Blu-ray Ripper Video Guide:
The above sections have perfectly answered your question “does PS4 play Blu-ray” with details explained step by step. Leawo Blu-ray Copy and Leawo Blu-ray Ripper are two brilliant software programs to enable you to make a backup of Blu-ray disc or directly rip and convert Blu-ray to region free formats for smooth playback on PS4. Region locked Blu-rays will no longer be a problem to free playback everywhere. Oppositely, we have two smart solutions to handle region codes without hurting the source Blu-ray quality. Obviously you will get something you need from them. If you have Blu-ray discs you can’t play due to the region codes on them and want the quickest solution to the problem, just get a region-free Blu-ray player.