If you are an avid sports fan, then you most probably watch sports TV shows and movies. Sports have been around for a very long time, and so have been sports movies. Sports movies have been largely successful because they combine so many different genres. They even have the power to make you very emotional, where you might normally find yourself laughing at the beginning but tearing up towards the end. There are abundant sports films available to watch, but which ones are the very best, especially the ones you can find on big streaming platforms like Netflix? We will introduce the top ten inspirational sports movies of all time, and show you how to watch and download them from Netflix and other free sites.
Part 1: 10 most inspirational sports movies on Netflix
Netflix is known as one, if not the best streaming service on the market because it has one of the best collections of TV shows, documentaries, and movies. You can find anything from Japanese drama, anime, comedy, horror, western, etc., for an affordable monthly price. Netflix also has a collection of the best sports movies of all time, and these are the top ten movies ranked starting with the very best:
- 1. The Battered Bastards of Baseball
- Released in 2014, this movie is about Kurt Russell, who interrupted his acting career to play baseball professionally in the 1970s. This movie highlights a documentary about his father's legendary minor league team, the Portland Mavericks. His highly entertaining story chronicles the independent baseball club and its ragtag team of rejects, who seem more tailor-made for an underdog sports comedy.
- 2. Beyond the Mat
- From 1999, this movie makes it in the top three of the best sports movies. Lifelong wrestling fan and comedy writer Barry Blaustein explores the ups and downs of the World Wrestling Federation (commonly known as the WWF), and Extreme Championship Wrestling in this sports MOVIE. He focuses on this sport’s personalities, like Mick Foley, and Jake Roberts to see what their normal lives are like.
- 3. Bleed For This
- In the early '90s, world champion boxer Vinny Pazienza thought he was never going to get back in the ring again, let alone walk again, after surviving a car crash with a broken neck. With a strong determination and passion for boxing, nothing stopped him. Miles Teller brings Pazienza's tenacity and recovery to life in this flashy boxing drama. If you are familiar with other boxing movies like Rocky, then this movie will be familiar to you, and you should definitely put this on your to-watch list. It was released in 2016.
- 4. The Dawn Wall
- This 2017 sports movie follows climbers Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson attempting a vertical 3000ft climbing of the Dawn Wall of El Capitan for the first time in history. They took six years to plan this, and everything is explicitly shown in this movie. If you have a fear of heights, you will find it hard to look away from the stunning vistas of Yosemite National Park.
- 5. Bloodsport
- Jean-Claude Van Damme stars in this 1988 sports movie about boxing. It follows Frank Dux, an American martial artist serving in the military, who decides to leave the army to compete in a martial arts tournament in Hong Kong where fights to the death can occur.
- 6. High Flying Bird
- This sports movie is about basketball, which mainly focuses on the behind-the-scenes power dynamics playing out during a lockout, as opposed to being more about the sport itself. Interestingly, this movie was shot on an iPhone, and Steven Soderbergh perfectly uses his iPhone to mirror the NBA's social media-heavy culture, and appearances from actual NBA stars lending the narrative heft. This movie was released in 2019.
- 7. The Longest Yard
- The Longest Yard remains one of the best sports movies of all time. It stars Burt Reynolds in his youthful age, as he portrays a former pro quarterback now serving time (for some seriously ruthless acts) who agrees to a prison warden's deal of putting together and coaching a team of inmates to face off with the guards.
- 8. Moneyball
- It is a baseball movie, which portrays how a real life failed baseball star-turned-general manager of the Oakland Athletics Billy Beane transformed the game with his analytics-based approach to scouting. You do not have to understand the sport or its spreadsheets to be a fan of this drama, because it is a masterpiece. It was released back in 2011.
- 9. Soul Surfer
- Back in 2003, a13-year-old Bethany Hamilton who was a rising pro surfer thought she would never be able to surf again after losing her arm in a shark attack. This sports movie chronicles the athlete's recovery and determination to eventually be able to get back on the board. It was released in 2011.
- 10. Team Foxcatcher
- Millionaire John du Pont was determined to help the USA Olympic Wrestling Team to come home with the gold back in the 1980s. He invested a lot of money into the team and even convinced world-class wrestlers Mark and Dave Schultz to join what he called "Team Foxcatcher”. It was released on 2014, and it remains one of the best Netflix originals.
Part 2: How to watch & download movies on Netflix
To watch or download sports movies on Netflix, or pretty much any content on the streaming service, you need to be an active subscriber to the service. Netflix has 3 basic plans, which are Basic, Standard, and Premium. Basic allows you to watch and download on one device, while it is two and four devices respectively for the Standard and Premium plans. The Standard and Premium plan also offer HD and Ultra HD respectively, while the Basic plan gives you SD. Therefore, to watch and download movies on Netflix, follow the steps below:
Step 1: If you do not have a Netflix account, you first need to sign up for one. Visit the Netflix website and sign up.
Step 2: Choose your plan. Netflix has 3 plans (Basic, Standard, and Premium) with the premium being the most expensive one at $15.99 per month, and the basic tier starting at $8.99. More details will be available for you when you choose the plan.
Step 3: Enter your email address, create a password and enter the payment credentials accordingly. The first month is available free of charge.
Step 4: Login to your account, then search for the Arabic movie you wish to download.
Step 5: From the description page of the corresponding movie, tap ‘Downloads’ and you should see the download button. Click it to begin the download.
Part 3: How to watch sports movies for free
The most inspirational sports movies can be found for free on the internet, from websites like YouTube, Solar Movie, Vumoo, 123Movies, IO Movies, Putlocker, and the likes. While you can watch the content for free from these websites, some of them do not offer you options to download. However, that does not mean that the websites block downloading, and if you need to download the movies we have a workaround solution. We will therefore present Leawo Video Downloader for all your video downloading needs, and the reasons below are why you should consider it for all your video downloads:
Download Video & Music from 1000+ Sites.
Support 720P, 1080P HD Videos Downloading.
6X Faster Downloading Speed.
Because of the reasons above, and many more which you can find on the product page, we recommend you to try Leawo Video Downloader. Please follow the steps below to download your videos or movies from any supported website:
Step 1: Open Leawo Video Downloader
Leawo Video Downloader is integrated in Leawo Prof. Media, so launch the program and click “Video Downloader” from the available 8 modules.
Step 2: Visit the YouTube website
Leawo Video Downloader has an integrated web browser from where you can visit any site, (by default it opens YouTube first). If the corresponding sports movies are not on YouTube, enter the address in the search bar to open it. If you have a link to the video saved somewhere, you can also paste the link in the search bar.
Step 3: Download the video
When you open the video link, a sidebar will pop up which will show you the linked videos. Click the download icon, and it will immediately start downloading. You can see the progress on the “Downloading” tab.
Step 4: Open your videos
After the video finishes downloading, go to the “Downloaded” section. From there, you can play the video(s), and you can also find it in its downloaded location if you click “File Location”.
After you have successfully downloaded your sports movies from the internet by using Leawo Video Downloader, you could also consider trying Leawo Free Blu-ray Player for movie playback. This is because Leawo Blu-ray Player is an excellent media player that offers smooth playback, with support for over 180 formats. You do not need to worry about stuttering issues, nor do you need to worry about video codecs when you use this video player. Moreover, it has a lot of other nice features, which include a virtual controller panel, a useful power manager, and custom skins or backgrounds. Visit the product page to learn more about this media player.
Here is a video guide on how to use Leawo Free Blu-ray Player: