Through a careful research, we have found that for most Xbox 360 users who are at the same time movie fans, a frequently asked and searched question must be one of the questions below:
- Does Xbox 360 play Blu ray?
- Can Xbox 360 play Blu ray?
- Can you play blu ray on Xbox 360?
- Does the Xbox 360 play Blu ray?
- Can you watch Blu ray on Xbox 360?
- Can the Xbox 360 play Blu-ray?
- How can I play Blu ray movies on Xbox 360?
- Why can't my Xbox 360 play Blu-ray?
You may have a lot of wonderful movies on your computer or in DVD discs, or even 1080P HD movies in Blu-ray discs. You happen to have an Xbox 360. So, you want to play Blu-ray movies on Xbox 360. Then, the problem comes: can Xbox 360 play Blu-ray movies? You searched it online and then you came here. Yes, this post would offer you satisfied answer to these abovementioned questions and as well as some effective solutions to help you watch Blu-ray movies on Xbox 360.
Part 1: About Xbox 360
So many things we have to learn about Xbox 360 if we want to get deep into it. The only place where we could get most comprehensive acknowledgement about Xbox 360 is no doubt its official website on Microsoft. However, we could make things easier by starting from the abovementioned questions, to give them a correct and official answer.
The Xbox 360 is a home video game console developed by Microsoft. As the successor to the original Xbox, it is the second console in the Xbox series. The Xbox 360 competes with Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Wii as part of the seventh generation of video game consoles.
So, can Xbox play Blu-ray movies? Unlike Sony's PlayStation 3/4 and Microsoft's Xbox One, which came with Blu-ray drive to play Blu-ray disc directly, Xbox 360 cannot be used as a Blu-ray player and fails to support an external Blu-ray drive. Xbox 360 came with a HD DVD drive that could recognize and play back HD DVD discs on Xbox 360. Therefore, the answer is quite obvious, Xbox 360 only accepts HD DVD disc for playback, while Xbox One plays Blu-ray disc.
Is it really a big issue for you to find out how to play Blu-ray on Xbox 360, or an effective solution to watch Blu-ray movies on Xbox 360? Of course not. This post introduces you a wonderful way to play Blu-ray on Xbox 360 with ease in the below content.
Part 2: Convert Blu-ray to Xbox 360
To watch movies on Xbox 360, we need to firstly know what kind of movies Xbox 360 is friendly with. According to Xbox 360 specifications, video formats supported by Xbox 360 include AVI, H.264 (.mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov), MPEG-4 (.mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov), and WMV. For detailed information, you could visit Xbox 360 Audio and Video Playback FAQ. Besides these video and audio formats, it also should be noted that Xbox 360 is compatible of DVD disc playback. Therefore you could turn your movies into DVD disc for directly playback.
Since Blu-ray is not accepted by Xbox 360, the best way to play Blu-ray on Xbox 360 is to rip Blu-ray to Xbox 360 videos with Blu-ray ripper software. You could use Leawo Blu-ray Ripper to carry out the Blu-ray to Xbox 360 WMV, AVI, H.264 or MPEG-4 video conversion easily (Mac users turn to Leawo Blu-ray Ripper Mac to rip Blu-ray disc and convert Blu-ray to Xbox 360 videos on Mac OS 10.6 and later). It could perform as a professional Blu-ray to Xbox 360 converter to easily rip and convert Blu-ray to videos in 180+ formats for multiple devices, including Xbox 360, therefore you could freely play Blu-ray movies on Xbox 360.
Why Use Leawo Blu-ray Ripper
How to Rip Blu-ray to Xbox 360 Video
- Blu-ray recorder drive.
- Source Blu-ray disc or movie folder.
- Download and install Leawo Blu-ray Ripper via the below links.
- Internet connection.
Step 1: Load Blu-ray Movies
Firstly, insert the Blu-ray disc into computer BD-ROM. Launch this Blu-ray to Xbox converter and then click "Add Blu-ray/DVD" button to load Blu-ray disc for ripping. You can also load Blu-ray folder for processing.
- When importing Blu-ray to program, you are provided with 3 movie loading modes: "Full Movie", "Main Movie" and "Custom Mode". "Full Movie" mode loads entire source Blu-ray movies. The program will automatically select the longest episode as the to-be-loaded content (mostly the main movie) in "Main Movie". The program will enable you to freely select which episodes to be loaded if you choose "Custom Mode". Choose the one you need. Main Movie mode is recommended for movie-only ripping.
- You are able to select subtitles and audio tracks from source Blu-ray movies after loading.
Step 2: Set Profile for Output
As mentioned above, Xbox 360 accepts AVI, H.264 (.mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov), MPEG-4 (.mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov), and WMV formats, you could set one of these formats as output format. Click the clickable drop-down box before the big green "Convert" button and then select "Change" option to enter "Profile" frame. Choose one abovementioned video formats as output profile. Or, you could open "Device > Microsoft" tab to select Xbox 360 as output profile.
If you need more advanced video and audio settings like video codec, audio codec, quality, video size, bit rate, frame rate, etc., just click reopen the clickable drop-down buttun and then click "Edit" button to do the related parameter adjustments after you set output format.
Step 3: Convert Blu-ray to Xbox 360 Video
Click the big green "Convert" button, set output directory in "Save to" box to save the final results and then click the "Convert" button at the bottom of the popup sidebar to convert Blu-ray to Xbox 360 video.
- You can customize imported Blu-ray movies with program's built-in editing tools like Trim, Crop, Rotate, Effect, Watermark, etc.
- You can even take use of Leawo Blu-ray to Xbox 360 Converter to rip 2D Blu-ray to 3D video for vivid 3D movie enjoyment.
Part 3: Transfer Blu-ray Movies to Xbox 360 for Playing Blu-ray on Xbox 360
After converting Blu-ray movies to Xbox 360, what you need to do for playing Blu-ray on Xbox 360 is to transfer converted Blu-ray movies to Xbox 360 via Windows Media Player. You could follow the below steps to transfer converted Blu-ray movies to Xbox 360 easily:
- Connect your PC and Xbox 360 to the Internet by using either an Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.
- Download and run Windows Media Player on your PC and power on your Xbox 360. Then an indication "Media Center Extender Found" pops up at bottom right corner of your PC. On main UI of Windows Media Player, click "Library" ＞ "Media Sharing" ＞ "Share My Media", and then click "OK." Wait for a moment and your PC will find Xbox 360, and then click "Allow".
- Scroll over to "Media Menu" on your Xbox 360 and then choose "Videos." And you'll find the converted Blu-ray movies in Xbox 360 media library. Choose the Blu-ray/DVD movie you want to play, and press "X" on your Xbox 360 controller to start playback and enjoyment.