Just yesterday, one of my friends asked me about some kind of audio conversion from MP2 to WAV. Since MP2 is actually quite rare nowadays, I was getting stuck. People generally use MP3 for audio storage or other lossless audio containers like FLAC or WAV. Therefore, I had to make some research and investment work before I could finally provide him satisfactory solutions. In this guide, I would like to share these solutions on how to convert MP2 to WAV for free with different MP2 to WAV converter tools, some of which are free while the others are paid.
Part 1: Introduction to MP2 audio format
Before we learn how to convert MP2 to WAV, we could firstly learn what MP2 is and how to open MP2 file. MP2 is an audio file extension that is found in music and sound files with MPEG Audio Stream. MP2 audio files are named the way they are, because they represent MPEG Audio Layer-2 compressed files, designed to help reduce the audio file size. MP2 format is relatively standard format of audio files that are utilized in digital radio and television broadcasts.
MP2 audio files are playable with many portable media players such as Windows Media Player, VLC, etc. Our Free Blu-ray Player could also recognize and then play back MP2 audio files. But since many players are now designed to play .mp3, converting .mp2 files to .mp3 have become imperative. Of course, you could also convert MP2 to WAV file for other uses.
Part 2: Convert MP2 to WAV free with online audio converter
Some people prefer to free audio converter tools to convert MP2 to WAV free. Actually, you could get quite a great number of MP2 to WAV converter freeware tools to convert MP2 to WAV free online and offline on your computer. Here we would like to firstly introduce you an online audio converter to help you convert MP2 to WAV for free online. The free online audio converter recommended here is online-convert.com, an excellent and professional online media converter that could handle conversions covering archive, audio, video, document, device, eBook, image, etc.
The below steps would show you how to convert MP2 to WAV file free online with this online free audio converter tool.
1. Get your source MP2 audio files ready and then connect your computer to the Internet.
2. Directly open the page at https://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav
3. WAV has been set as output format by default.
4. Click the green “Choose Files” button to browse and upload source MP2 file.
5. After uploading source MP2 file, you could adjust the output WAV audio parameters like bit rate, sample rate, channel, etc. in the “Optional settings” box.
6. You could give the output WAV audio file a name in the “Save settings” box, which requires you to log in.
7. After that, click the green “Start conversion” button to start to convert MP2 to WAV free online.
Once the conversion completes, you will be provided with a download option to download the converted MP2 file to your computer. Online audio converter tools are quite easy to use and free. However, you need to know that most online audio converters have limit in the size of source audio files (less than 100MB in general). If you want to convert large files, you might have to become a registered user, which might not be free. Meanwhile, the conversion speed of online audio converter tools highly depends on the Internet connection status.
Part 3: Convert MP2 to WAV with Leawo Video Converter
Besides online free audio converter, you could also use desktop media converter to convert MP2 file to WAV format. Leawo Video Converter is the best MP2 to WAV audio converter for you. As a professional media converter, Leawo Video Converter features an audio converter that enables you to convert audio files between various audio formats, like WAV to MP3, AAC to MP3, M4A to WAV, WMA to AAC, etc. It could help you easily convert MP2 to WAV format on your computer. What’s more, it allows you to edit output WAV audio file parameters like audio bitrate, quality, sample rate, channel, etc.
Download and install Leawo Video Converter on your computer. Then follow the below steps to learn how to convert MP2 to WAV file format.
Step 1: Add MP2 audio file
Launch Leawo Video Converter (it’s a module of Leawo Prof. Media) and then open the “Convert” module. Click the “Add Video” drop-down button to choose either “Add Video” or “Add Video Folder” to add source MP2 file(s). You could also directly drag and drop MP2 audio file to it. After loading source MP2 file, you could play it back to see if it’s what you want to convert.
Step 2: Set WAV as output format
Click the drop-down button right before the big green “Convert” button and then choose “Change” option to enter the Profile panel, where you need to open “Format > Common Audio” group to set WAV Audio as output format.
Open the drop-down panel again right before the big green “Convert” button and then choose “Edit” option to enter the Profile Settings panel, where you could adjust output WAV audio parameters, including audio codec, bit rate, sample rate, and channel.
Step 3: Set output directory
Click the big green “Convert” button and then set output directory in the “Save to” box on the pop-up sidebar.
Step 4: Convert MP2 to WAV format
Finally, click the bottom “Convert” button on the popup sidebar to start converting MP2 to WAV file format. It will take a few seconds only to complete the conversion. After converting, you get WAV files from MP2 audio files.
Part 4: Convert MP2 to WAV via Music Recorder
Using audio recording tool could also help you convert MP2 file to WAV file. Audio recorder tool makes it easier to convert MP2 file to WAV format when your MP2 file is not on your computer since audio recorders could capture audio outside of your computer and then turn its recording into WAV or other formats. Leawo Music Recorder is one of the best audio recorder tools in the market. It could help you record online radio and songs, local audio and even audio input through microphone into WAV or MP3 file. What’s more, if you are recording a song, it could automatically download and add song tags like artist, album, artwork, genre, etc.
Download and install Leawo Music Recorder on your computer and then follow the below steps to learn how to convert and record MP2 audio to WAV file.
Step 1: Set audio source to record
After kicking it off, click the “Audio Source” icon on the main interface to set audio source firstly. To record MP2 audio from online or local drive, select “Record Computer Audio” option. To record MP2 audio from external devices through microphone, select “Record Audio Input” option.
Step 2: Set output directory
Open the “General” tab to set output directory for saving output recordings in the “Output” box.
Step 3: Set WAV as output format
Open the “Format” tab to set WAV audio as output format in the “Output Format” box. You could also adjust the audio parameters in the “Audio Setting” box, including Bit Rate, Sample Rate, etc. Click “OK” to save and exit.
Step 4: Start recording MP2 to WAV
Now, on the main interface, click the red button and then play back source MP2 audio file to start recording MP2 file to WAV format. You could stop recording anytime you like by clicking the red button again.
During the recording, you could see that Leawo Music Recorder is automatically downloading and adding music tags to recordings. Actually, after recording, you could manually edit music tags as you like.
Part 5: Convert MP2 to WAV using Audacity
As for recording MP2 to WAV, you could also try Audacity, an expert audio recording and editing tool that could help you easily record any sound on your computer and then let you edit recordings in multiple aspects. Audacity is a totally free audio recorder tool.
The below steps would show you how to record and convert MP2 audio to WAV file with Audacity in detail.
1. Download, install and launch Audacity on your computer. Get source MP2 audio file ready.
2. In the upper-left of Audacity, click the Audio Host drop-down box to open “Windows WASAPI” to command Audacity to record MP2 audio from your computer.
3. Tap the Audio Input drop-down box at the right of the microphone icon, and then disable “Speakers” option to ensure that Audacity will capture your computer’s internal audio without recording external sound.
4. Click the round “Record” button at the top and then play back MP2 audio on your computer. Audacity will begin to record MP2 audio file. When you finish recording, click the square “Stop” button.
5. Click the Audio Host drop-down box, and then click “MME”. This will change the audio output and input options so that you can play your recorded sound.
6. To save the recorded file, click “File” in the top-left corner. Then select “Export” to save them in WAV format, and set an output directory to save recorded audio file on your computer.
Alternatively, Audacity could also perform as an audio converter to help you directly convert MP2 audio file to WAV format. As an audio file converter, Audacity could import most uncompressed WAV, AIFF audios, and compressed OGG Vorbis, FLAC, MP2 and MP3 audio files, and export audio to save in various audio file formats like MP3, WAV, OGG, etc. It’s quite easy for you to convert MP2 to WAV directly within Audacity. Check the below steps:
1. Launch Audacity and get source MP2 audio files ready for conversion.
2. Click the “File” option on the menu bar and then choose “Open” option to browse and load source MP2 audio file for converting. You are allowed to select one or more MP2 audio files for converting in batch.
3. After choosing source MP2 audio files, click the “Open” button.
4. After loading source MP2 audio files, set the “Project Rate (Hz)” to 8000 at the bottom left.
5. Now, click “File > Export Audio” option to choose to choose “Wav (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM” as output format.
6. After browsing target folder to save output audio files, click “Save” button.
Obviously, it will be much quicker if you convert MP2 audio to WAV format rather than record MP2 into WAV file with the help of Audacity.
All these above solutions could help you easily convert MP2 audio file to WAV format. Just choose the one you like most.